Gransnet forums

Food

Same old, same old

(71 Posts)
Elvive Tue 28-May-19 08:44:02

Chuck your recipes/ideas at me ( well not literally ).

2 of us, not fussy eaters. I can't stand the same 4 or 5 things over and over again.

Thanks.

Witzend Fri 12-Jan-24 23:09:34

BlueBelle

I ve often eaten Basa in the past as it’s cheaper and I never found it tasted any different to cod I rarely eat fish or meat now but my most unacceptable smell or taste is salmon I think it is vile

I’m not keen on salmon either, unless it’s smoked.
Trout, or salmon trout, OTOH….

Mikky Wed 10-Jan-24 17:44:11

Two of us here
Can’t believe I used to cook all our meals from scratch, plus a pudding.as DH didn't like ready meals. We have 4 children all adults now and left home. We now just stick to ‘something easy’
I do cook a roast every now and then but it seems a lot of fuss for just the two of us. I think I'm just boring to be honest.

Ziplok Wed 10-Jan-24 17:25:41

Reported. This thread over 4 years old, suspect above post is spam.

JustinJames Wed 10-Jan-24 17:11:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

goldengirl Mon 17-Jun-19 09:54:24

I admit to not reading all of this thread but my 'fave' cookbook at the moment is The Quick Roasting Tin: 30 minute one dish dinners. Can't fault it.

Nansnet Mon 17-Jun-19 07:41:57

I've always enjoyed cooking, especially at weekends, or when we invite friends over. But, since the kids have flown the nest, and now it's just the two of us to cook for, I'd much rather cook simple, but tasty things, during the week. I do like to cook from scratch but I can't see the point in going to a lot of trouble, with lots of ingredients, just for two of us! I get a lot of my recipes from Pinterest, there are so many that we never get bored.
Some of my favourites are:
Teriyaki Salmon with Sesame Pak Choi, which we have with wild rice.
Mediterranean Chicken Bake (chicken thighs/chorizo/veg).
Brazilian Fish Stew.
One-Pot Chicken drumsticks with lentils.
One-Pot Spanish chicken & potatoes.
Green Massala Butternut Squash Curry.
Mushroom & Black Bean Chili
They're all on Pinterest, and thousands more ... no need to get bored, and no need for ridiculously long ingredient lists, or all day in the kitchen!

Loislovesstewie Sun 16-Jun-19 21:11:27

Vegetable curry. Fajitas. Tacos. Quesadillas. Pasta bake. Pasta and pesto. Falafel in pitta with hummus and salad, chicken kebabs, kofte kebabs, Spaghetti with meatballs and tomato sauce. Sausage casserole done in slow cooker, chilli con carne, also in slow cooker. We like spicey good !

craftyone Sun 16-Jun-19 18:11:42

I have had enough, a lifetime of cooking. I was a fabulous cook, started at age 9 and could cook a whole meal for 9 people at age 11. Now 60 years later, widowed and living on my own, I really cannot be bothered, I am cooked out and I have other things to do.

Always but always, there is that left over something in the fridge to use up. I will batch cook very good soups, to freeze and have with my hm bread. Salads are easy, with a few nuts or fish baked in foil. Double amount of lightly boiled potatoes, next day potato salad or fried potatoes. Puds are usually berries, yoghurt with a granola sprinkle. I will be making some gorgeous vanilla ice cream, when I get my arris is gear. Breakfast has to be quick, weetabix with berries and hm hemp milk. I am not a vegan btw.

I do most of my veg in one pan, steamer over pan of water. If I do pasta, I lift the steamer and put the pasta in the water under the steamer. Get my drift, I am not about to make work for myself and tbh I enjoy what I eat.

Bathsheba Wed 29-May-19 19:34:34

Well I was looking for simple ideas for ways to cook salmon and I came up with this. It was so delicious, I'm using the same idea tonight with some chicken:

Spread a salmon steak thickly with pesto sauce. Cover with breadcrumbs, then sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Cook in the oven at 200deg for around 20 minutes. We had it with some vegetable rice, which seemed a perfect accompaniment.

leyla Wed 29-May-19 18:57:23

Thanks BB for your advice. It’s hard - I love carbs, but needs must! I’m enjoying exploring some of the more complex grains but I miss bread!! Everything I love is full of carbs.

BBbevan Wed 29-May-19 17:32:26

leyla to save money and reverse your diabetes just don't eat to many carbs. Limit or ignore, bread, potatoes, rice etc. It works extremely well Loads of recipes on the internet. Just google low carb recipes

Oldandverygrey Wed 29-May-19 16:53:09

I loathe cooking but when I joined Slimming World they encourage you to cook from scratch. I purchased their Take 5 book (any recipe only 5 ingredients) and I havn't looked back since. I can cope with 5 ingredients, still don't like cooking, never will, but this seems to work for me.

Fernbergien Wed 29-May-19 16:47:43

Wish my husband could cook like some of the others. He attempted to cook bacon and I had to throw all the charcoal away!!!

leyla Wed 29-May-19 11:30:56

Recently diagnosed diabetic type 2 and on a campaign to lose weight. Have joined Slimming World and am really enjoying trying out some new recipes - there are tons on the internet. Some have been fairly yuk and some delicious but it's just fun to try some new things, even the yuk ones! I've just finished preparing a pork recipe for the slow cooker - fingers crossed it's nice.
I have been thinking about trying some of the recipe boxes that you get delivered (apparently Gousto are the best?) - any thoughts?

Gonegirl Wed 29-May-19 10:16:34

I don't even know what noodles are. Never have got to the bottom of that one.

Miep1 Wed 29-May-19 10:16:31

I'm with BradfordLass - I'll happily help too!

Gonegirl Wed 29-May-19 10:15:35

I can't even read recipes without something shutting down in my brain.

Teacheranne Wed 29-May-19 10:08:29

I had convinced myself that I was diabetic ( tests proved otherwise!) and found some lovely recipes on the Diabeties UK website which got me back into cooking and as a bonus, I have lost weight as well.

The recipes ( hundreds of them) are all nutritionally coded for carbs, fat, sugars, calories etc so it is easy to eat according to your health needs. I now make a couple of the recipes each week, enough for two meals when fresh and some left over for the freezer. They use every day ingredients too, I have not had to buy anything special apart from some new spices, sweet potatoes and lentils!

Anyone fed up of cooking the same few things should go and have a look.

notentirelyallhere Wed 29-May-19 09:54:08

My husband has taken over the cooking too. At first I minded because it was 'my' area but he enjoys it so, why not.
My problem is that I could live on air these days so I've had to educate him on quantities and he cooks himself vast amounts of pasta and potatoes, which I avoid, along with adventurous sauces.
Rose Eliot taught me how to cook tasty and nutritious food and we're still vegetarian. There are various new ingredients that have perked life up though - coconut milk, Mexican spices, sweet potatoes, preserved lemons, haloumi, tortillas, a vast range of chutneys and sauces. However, something like tofu, green beans and broccoli stir fried with Chinese Five Spice Powder, garlic, onions and good soy sauce is light and tasty and an old favourite.

srn63 Wed 29-May-19 09:30:02

My husband has taken over the cooking since he has retired, I felt that I had my "turn" having cooked for almost 40 years! It works well, we decide what we eat together, draw up a meal plan and shopping list and either one of us goes shopping, he is a better shopper than me because he is not distracted by offers. The only trouble is he will not stick to a recipe and always wants to "improve" it, unfortunately it doesn't always work!

M0nica Wed 29-May-19 09:00:11

Urmstongran Nowadays being surrounded by sea does not mean being surrounded by fish in any quantity. Over fishing has depleted the stocks of fish in the seas around Britian and many other countries. Catches are smaller and fishing boats have to be run and maintained regardless of the size of the catch.

Attempts are being made to conserve stocks, the main reason for fishing quotas. In Newfoundland the cod industry, a major industry there for centuries completely collapsed in the early 1990s as the result of over fishing. Even a 10 year moratorium on all fishing did little to increase fish stocks although things are gradually improving, nearly 30 years later.

Urmstongran Wed 29-May-19 08:26:43

Yes, thanks BL72 it sounds horrid. Strange, as you say, to be surrounded by sea yet fish is expensive. Someone is making a packet somewhere!

BlueBelle Wed 29-May-19 08:23:48

I ve often eaten Basa in the past as it’s cheaper and I never found it tasted any different to cod I rarely eat fish or meat now but my most unacceptable smell or taste is salmon I think it is vile

Ginny42 Wed 29-May-19 08:10:56

Thanks for the heads up about basa Bradfordlass. I looked it up and it's as you describe. It is subject to strict EU import laws. It's called cobbler in UK supermarkets. It's often sold simply as 'fish' e,g, in fish and chip shops as a cheap alternative to cod or haddock. (from Wikipedia.) Good to know.

BradfordLass72 Wed 29-May-19 04:59:00

So many people mentioning salmon and yet a kilo of it here costs about the same as I spend, in total, on my weekly food bill.

To say we are surrounded by water, fish of all types is very expensive. The only economical one is a nasty mud-flavoured thing called Basa, a species of catfish, from Viet-Nam and farmed in the (supposedly) polluted Mekong River.
I tried one small piece before I knew its origins and the taste was disgusting but it's being promoted, under various names, across Europe and in Australia..