Gransnet forums

Food

Tesco fresh fish sales cut back

(13 Posts)
Fennel Wed 05-Jun-19 11:53:06

I read some time ago that this could happen. Now our Tesco fish counter is only open Wed. to Sat. Same with the fresh meat.
I bought some fish today and asked the server about it - she said 8 people have lost their jobs because of this. A sign of the times?
Fewer people cook from scratch these days - most buy pre-prepared frozen rubbish. No wonder there's a rise in obesity etc.

Septimia Wed 05-Jun-19 12:03:38

I'm always horrified by the processed rubbish I see in other people's trolleys. You're right, cooking from scratch can be much healthier and supermarkets closing counters won't help.

I'm pleased to say that my son frequently cooks for his family, and 'from scratch'. Yesterday he made his wife a birthday cake!

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 12:20:03

I would actually get fat if I lived permanently on the dinners my daughter occasionally cooks for me. At least with ready meals you can see the protein, fat, and calorie content in your meal. And they are not all rubbish by a long way.

And there is a difference between ready prepared and processed. If you add bacon or sausages to your from-scratch meals you are eating processed.

Fennel Wed 05-Jun-19 12:26:44

Ok Gonegirl I'm probably fighting a losing battle here.
But what upset me most was the number of people losing their jobs as a consequence. I asked the lady -" any job losses?" and she said "8". Looking sad.

Gonegirl Wed 05-Jun-19 12:28:45

I agree that is sad. And it is a shame they are closing the fresh fish counter. It's all down to making money at that particular store. sad

EllanVannin Wed 05-Jun-19 12:50:42

It's the bloomin' extortionate rent and rates that are charged for shops. This pure unadulterated greed has killed the high street businesses.

There has remained over the years the myth that those in business are raking it in. Not so when overheads have to be considered, but it didn't stop various councils/landlords from grabbing back what they could in rents and rates.

Callistemon Wed 05-Jun-19 12:55:50

Our local Tesco is making several members of staff redundant. Not only are the fish counter, fresh meat counter and delicatessen open part-time at the moment (and will close eventually), staff in other areas have lost their jobs too.

They will still be selling the packaged 'fresh' fish - which means more plastic waste to either be recycled or to go to landfill.

This is due to a 'cost-cutting exercise' by the Chief Executive who is trying to make Tesco more competitive in the face of fierce competition. About 9,000 members of staff are affected.

In the meantime this Chief Executive is earning £4.6 million pa.

Callistemon Wed 05-Jun-19 12:58:09

It's the bloomin' extortionate rent and rates that are charged for shops
I'm not sure that this is the case with Tesco, EV although it is true about other smaller businesses.

Tesco owns a lot of land in this country and some feel that it would be better to sell off this land for housing than to make staff redundant.

tanith Wed 05-Jun-19 13:27:40

Our Tesco has closed the fish, meat and deli counters so many people complained but I’m doing more shopping elsewhere now.

Cherrytree59 Wed 05-Jun-19 13:45:27

Agree it is a shame that that people are losing their jobs.

But don't agree that to eat healthy you have to buy fresh meat, fish or vegetables.
Frozen fish and meat is cheaper and can be used to make healthy meals.

How many people grow their own fruit and veg and then freeze their surplus?
Or buy meat and fish in quanity and then freeze.

As long as a meal contains vitamins, protein and the right amount of carbs then it matters not whether frozen and/or tinned, dried ingredients are used.

kazzerb Wed 05-Jun-19 13:52:02

I agree about people buying frozen but the cost of fresh fish from Tesco is beyond the reach of many people. Frozen can also be just as good as fresh.

Nanabilly Wed 05-Jun-19 13:52:48

You might be surprised to learn that the fish on supermarket fish counters has been previously frozen , most often than not anyway. Have you ever asked the fishmonger? . I have , every time I purchased any and very often the product had been previously frozen ..not many will ask though and it's not freely shared .

Beckett Wed 05-Jun-19 14:03:37

I only buy ready meals when I have had a busy day, forgotten to take something home made out of the freezer or just to tired to cook.

However, I do buy ready prepared veg. I live alone and if I buy a whole cabbage, cauliflower etc. I usually end up either having to eat the same thing for a week or throwing some away. Instead I buy small bags of fresh mixed prepared veg. This means I eat a variety of vegetables throughout the week. I also buy frozen roast potatoes - it is easier, saves time and again I only cook what I need and don't throw away sprouting potatoes!