Gransnet forums

Food

Have you resisted tasting something for the first time because you though you wouldn't like it.................. .and then find out you do!

(25 Posts)
TerriBull Thu 06-Jun-19 08:49:03

My children would always pester me for Nutella when they were young, but I refused on grounds that I thought it was unhealthy and chocolate gunk smeared on bread didn't sound very appealing. When my grandchildren come to stay they have also bemoaned the lack of it. So being a far more indulgent as a grandparent than I ever was as a parent, I went forth and bought a jar last week..........OMG! I'm halfway through it and they're coming at the weekend I'm going to have to buy another one. It's so delicious, especially with some sliced banana on granary, all these years I've lived without it sad

Have you ever resisted a food on the basis that you thought you wouldn't like it and then try it and discover you do.

Should I try Oysters next I wonder?..........hmm

Alima Thu 06-Jun-19 09:01:12

Yes, yogurt. Years ago in Terry’s (Walker, the boxer) Baked Potato in or near Cheapside in London I used to have a flavoured yogurt for pudding. One day they didn’t have a flavoured one so I tried a natural one instead. It was revolting, yuk. That was in the very early 70s. Since then, even though DDs and DH ate loads of yogurt I wouldn’t touch the stuff. Until 2002 when I embarked on a diet. Love the stuff now, could live off it. Has to be flavoured though!

MiniMoon Thu 06-Jun-19 09:01:39

You'd better hurry terriBull, Alexa has just announced, "Nutella factory workers go on strike".? lovely stuff.
I'll try anything once, but never had oysters ?.

TerriBull Thu 06-Jun-19 09:11:14

Maybe given my new found love for it, it's just as well the Nutella people are going on strike MiniMoon.

No never had oysters, in spite of loving seafood, always worried I'd swallow a dodgy one, also raw and slimey are my thoughts hmm

BradfordLass72 Thu 06-Jun-19 09:22:19

No.

But I have tasted something which everyone I know says is an utterly delicious delicacy - kina - and it was revolting. I was almost sick.
My friends looked askance and couldn't understand it (me) at all.

Its pretty shell is now the subject of research, for possible health benefits, including for diabetes, Alzheimer's and more.

TerriBull Thu 06-Jun-19 09:29:08

Like you BradfordLass, something I thought I'd like because it sounded nice, Andouette, I think that's how it's spelt, I ordered this in France, I mistakenly thought it was some sort of fish. The worst meal I've ever had, it was innards in a sausage type skin, I could barely touch it smelt of wee ......vile!

Jane10 Thu 06-Jun-19 09:42:58

Ooh yes andouillettes! They sounded so nice but when I cut into it disgusting things sprung out! No no no! DH quite agreed!

TerriBull Thu 06-Jun-19 09:51:29

I knew my spelling didn't look quite right Jane grin yes so ghastly, perhaps the awfulness of the andouillettes was mitigated somewhat, by the discovery of the best sausages ever, also in France Merguez, Algerian and spicy so delicious smile

EllanVannin Thu 06-Jun-19 10:20:45

Monkfish ! For years when passing fresh fish shops I'd seen these ugly-looking monsters and never ever thought I'd be eating its flesh. Without knowing the types of fish, in a fish selection platter, I'd kept eating one particular fish which was lovely--------it was monkfish !

Never had oysters and never would.They look like a big " spit ", oh yukky.

Callistemon Thu 06-Jun-19 10:23:45

That looks like what we call a sea urchin BradfordLass
I trod on one of those little so and so's years ago - very painful.
The more people who eat them, the better imo!!

Squiffy Thu 06-Jun-19 10:37:05

I'm wondering if it was andouillettes that we bought in a French shop years ago.

They looked really tempting until I put them in the frying pan and they heated up. They started wriggling and writhing all round the pan like demented snakes and then their innards came out of the skins (they looked like smooth maggots) and did the same! It was like a scene from a horror film! As I prefer my food not to be so alive/lively, I just had the compulsory French bread.

fiorentina51 Thu 06-Jun-19 12:00:07

Olives. I was 50 before I tried one. I'm addicted to them now!

Jane10 Thu 06-Jun-19 13:09:00

Squiffy it looked like a pig's curly tail that sprung out of mine. Yuk yuk and yuk!

KatyK Thu 06-Jun-19 13:20:24

I wouldn't try cheese until I was in my 20s because I didn't like the look of it. I am now a cheese addict.

Auntieflo Thu 06-Jun-19 13:21:58

Can’t stand peanut butter, tried it and it clogged up my mouth, but love peanuts.
But, Ooh, love oysters, had my first one on my 70th birthday. Anything fishy in fact..
I’m usually up for trying most things, but although DH loves Lime Pickle, I can’t bear the smell!

TerriBull Thu 06-Jun-19 13:51:36

My first experience of an Indian restaurant going back to my late teens, a boyfriend at the time was trying to get me to try Tandoori Chicken, to my untrained palate, coupled with its vivid colour didn't make it instantly appealing, however one bite and I was a gonna, I ascended straightaway into culinary heaven and wondered how I'd made it all the way to 19 without it. Needless to say Indian is now a favourite cuisine.

petra Thu 06-Jun-19 13:59:34

For those of you who won't try oysters. If you ever get the chance to try them deep fried in a tempura batter go for it.
Delicious. We collect our own for free together with clams and muscles from a 'secret' beach in Essex.

shysal Thu 06-Jun-19 17:15:46

As a child I thought I didn't like a number of things that my father enjoyed. When tasting them again as an adult I too loved clotted cream, dripping and tongue, but tripe, chitterlings and sprats still turn my stomach!

TerriBull Thu 06-Jun-19 18:29:14

Tinned pineapple nasty hard yellow lumps, when I was offered fresh pineapple for the first time convinced I wouldn't like it, wow! it was lovely, something is lost in the canning process clearly.

BlueSapphire Sat 08-Jun-19 23:15:52

Tried oysters when I lived in Australia, got one as far as my lips, just under my nose, and the smell just put me off, like cod liver oil.
Always disliked milk and cream as a child, but strawberries and cream are to die for!
Pumpkin soup, also in Australia, I just loved.
Never thought I would eat squid, but was introduced to calamari in Cyprus, was yummy.

Witzend Sun 09-Jun-19 12:50:12

Not personally, no.

However my mother had an aversion to tomatoes, would never touch them, or anything with tomato sauce.
It was thought very odd by my whole family, but I just took it for granted that she didn't like the taste - until one holiday when she was about 80 and grown up dds were also,present.

One day there was a conversation that went roughly like this:

'Why is it that you don't like tomatoes, Granny?'

'I don't know, really. My father grew them in the greenhouse but I never liked the look of them so I never actually tried one.'

Talk about ??? all round!

Witzend Sun 09-Jun-19 13:01:17

Should add, I will try just about anything, but there was one new taste I found absolutely vile.

It was at a big family wedding in Singapore - (Brit/Singapore-Chinese couple) where one course on the menu was sea cucumber, maybe a fertility symbol given the shape of the sea creature!
It came as a small, round slice of orange coloured jelly-ish stuff. It wasn't just the taste - it was the texture, seriously vile. Nobody on our table could get it down - there was a lot of very surreptitious transferring to tissues in bags.

My eldest Bil on the top table did manage to get it down, just to be polite - I had to admire him!
All the many other courses were very nice.

Singapore/Chinese SiL did tell me much later that hardly anybody likes it, but it's a tradition at wedding banquets.

BradfordLass72 Mon 10-Jun-19 03:43:55

When I was teaching Maori, one of my students offered to pay me in kaimoana (seafood) as he had a boat.
I love seafood so readily agreed.

The next day he brought me a large bucket of oysters.

At that time I'd never tasted them, so steamed a few and was an instant convert.

I lived on oysters for the next 4 blissful days but never had one raw until I went to a seafood festival where the best, Bluff Oysters, were being offered to passers by.

It was ok but I still prefer them steamed - or in tempura batter.

absent Mon 10-Jun-19 05:51:37

Nope. I travelled a lot with my parents and my father travelled all over the world as part of his job in export. We ate all sorts of things that we had never tried in England. Sometimes we liked them and sometimes we didn't. I still do that – and sometimes I like them and sometimes I don't.

gillybob Mon 10-Jun-19 07:05:45

I have never tasted lobster. I am pretty sure I would love it as I like most fish and seafood. Just never had the chance to try it.