Gransnet forums

Food

Coconut crisp

(10 Posts)
watermeadow Fri 21-Jun-19 21:32:33

My mother used to make this but I’ve never found a recipe.
It was not a cake or biscuit mixture, I remember it as desiccated coconut and golden syrup but what else? It was cooked in a shallow tin then cut into crunchy squares.
My mother was not an adventurous cook, she probably found this in a magazine. Does anyone remember it or know how to make it?

Carillion Fri 21-Jun-19 21:40:06

watermeadow I remember a good while ago seeing a recipe very similar in a compilation type recipe book by the Women's Institute so I suppose you might be able to google it.

EllanVannin Fri 21-Jun-19 22:12:25

My mum used to make something like that but used condensed milk.

crazyH Fri 21-Jun-19 22:35:26

Watermeadow, there is an Indian recipe, which is similar to or even exactly what your mum used to make. Its called
Coconut Burfi /Barfi and its on Youtube.

Ginny42 Fri 21-Jun-19 23:00:58

My mother used to make what we called coconut macaroons. She mixed desiccated coconut with whisked egg whites and caster sugar. She moulded spoonful's of the mixture in an egg cup then turned them out onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and baked them until the tops were brown. I have no idea of the quantities sorry.

BradfordLass72 Sat 22-Jun-19 01:34:21

If you can tolerate the wretched advertorial website, this may be what you're looking for.

lovefoodies.com/coconut-thins/

watermeadow Sat 22-Jun-19 15:52:55

Fellow Grans, I am disappointed in you. This is just not good enough!
Barfi looks like coconut ice, the calorific goody I remember had no condensed milk and it was not macaroons. I doubt if my mother made it up but I might have a go. I could become rich and famous.

BradfordLass72 Sun 23-Jun-19 08:38:04

Oh heck, and I thought I'd hit the jackpot with my post sad

wink

jackfowler Mon 08-Jul-19 13:28:56

coconut chunks healthy fat burning snack good for brain ... Some stores in UK sell dehydrated sweet potato slices as crisps.

Calendargirl Mon 08-Jul-19 16:03:25

Don’t like dessicated coconut, my old chemistry teacher said it reminded him of toenails- very off putting.