Gransnet forums

Food

Food Coincidences

(5 Posts)
Pantglas1 Thu 11-Jul-19 06:42:21

Must admit I didn’t make my gnocchi but bought the giant pack from Waitrose- delicious!

absent Thu 11-Jul-19 06:15:23

I have spent most of my professional life writing recipes. I pretty much suspect that there are only variations of exisiting recipes – white fish rather than chicken, red rather than white wine, chopped lavender rather than rosemary, etc. However, I do have to point out that if you are going to make a savoury dish with a baked custard, you don't use custard power and sugar (not my mistake).

BradfordLass72 Thu 11-Jul-19 04:06:16

I like the idea of a Quilted Pie, I shall try it as I love making gnocchi.

Pantglas1 Tue 02-Jul-19 06:24:37

Ooh that happened to me BradfordLass72 - thought I’d top a fish pie with gnocchi and call it Quilted fish pie as it looked like a double bed in its rectangular dish. Got to my daughter’s for lunch the following week and she served up the exact same thing!

BradfordLass72 Tue 02-Jul-19 00:38:20

It's amazing - just when you think you've come up with something new and revolutionary, you discover it's being done.

We have a cafe franchise here where friends and I occasionally go for coffee and snacks. I know the menu intimately.

Last month, at home, I discovered that putting a spoonful of coconut cream powder into my cocoa, made it magic.

Lo and behold, this week I find the cafe has started offering the same thing with their hot chocolate.

This is not the first time my culinary 'inventions' have transferred themselves by some psychic or telepathic osmosis grin

Anyone else found their wonderful ideas, food or otherwise, snatched from under their noses?