Gransnet forums

Food

'Side salad'

(46 Posts)
kittylester Fri 05-Jul-19 20:19:51

Tonight we had rinbeye steak with mama potatoes and a salad.

It occurred to me that my 'side' salads have probably been the same since we got married.

How do you make a side salad?

Grannyknot Sat 06-Jul-19 16:05:34

I make a side salad most nights. Mostly salad leaves, tomatoes (I like baby plum tomatoes because they are the sweetest) and cucumber, with a very basic dressing of vinegar, pinch of sugar and oil.

If I'm making a bigger salad as part of the meal, I will often add whatever fruit is to hand - clementines, apple, pear including avocado pear to the basics.

I will also buy small pots of salad stuff from Tesco - at the moment they have Beetroot with Ginger and Maple Syrup -delicious, husband is lucky if there is any left for dinner, and I also love their Red Slaw - it's like coleslaw but made with finely sliced red cabbage and red onion.

Love salad.

RedRidingHood Sat 06-Jul-19 15:58:58

Who would have thought side salads could sound so lovely.
I'm the only salad eater so I don't bother often. I have various lettuce leaves from the garden and cucumber with tinned sweetcorn dowsed in olive oil grin.

I'm always glad when home grown lettuce is ready as bought leaves always seem to be over full of spinach and rocket, neither of which I like.

kittylester Sat 06-Jul-19 14:30:50

I deseed it to stop it being soggy and peel it because the skin (on supermarket cucumbers) is often hard. I then chunk it rather than slice it.

merlotgran Sat 06-Jul-19 14:12:40

I've never thought of de-seeding cucumber, or peeling it for that matter!

merlotgran Sat 06-Jul-19 14:11:19

We've just come back from a pub lunch and my side salad - to go with a vegan chick pea burger was mahoosive!

Huge piece of lollo rosso lettuce, grated carrot, coleslaw, tomatoes, sliced red onion cucumber and sweetcorn.

I left half of it.

Jane10 Sat 06-Jul-19 13:59:38

I find mounds of lettuce etc rather depressing to munch my way through. A handful of nice tasty little tomatoes does for us.
If we're having salads then it's M&S all the way for us but I do add extra mixed unsalted nuts for extra crunch.

Gonegirl Sat 06-Jul-19 13:49:12

kitty why do you peel and de-seed cucumber? (think it was you)

Gonegirl Sat 06-Jul-19 13:14:39

Eh?! I didn't shed the light on maman potatoes. Think it was kittylester.

Norah Sat 06-Jul-19 12:47:28

Mixed leaves, chopped tomato and avocado, grated carrot and courgette, rocket, diced coloured peppers.

lemongrove Sat 06-Jul-19 10:59:32

Ah! Maman potoes solved, thanks Gonegirl smile

kittylester Sat 06-Jul-19 10:47:48

oldwoman, my parmentier potatoes have herbs and garlic in, maman don't.

We solve the hot plate/cold food dilemma by using individual wooden salad bowls for the salad and putting hot food on warmed plates.

Teetime Sat 06-Jul-19 10:18:03

I like the littlepots of cous cous and/or bean salads from M & S to put on some leaves as a side salad.

PamelaJ1 Sat 06-Jul-19 10:11:44

I am never quite sure about serving hot and cold food on the same plate. We like hot plates for hot food but a hot plate and salad? Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs are also a bit of a dilemma for us.
I’m sure there is a ‘right way’?
My side salad usually consist of a mixture of lettuce ( I buy the packs of growing lettuce) and anything else I’ve got- avocado, olives, peppers and the usual tomatoes ect.

Oldwoman70 Sat 06-Jul-19 09:56:15

Maman potatoes sound exactly like the parmentier potatoes my grandmother used to make!

I think I am actually allergic to salad! (oh dear, how sad!). Whenever I eat a salad (made with any lettuce or other leaves) I suffer bloating and discomfort.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 06-Jul-19 07:48:58

We eat a lot of fish so the salad if we have any reflects that, so watercress or cucumber etc. Last night was sea bass but we had courgette ribbons lightly fried in butter with nutmeg, a quick easy and tasty meal.

kittylester Sat 06-Jul-19 07:17:55

gonegirl, it's Friday- that's not a week night in our house.

We also like different dressings!

Maman potatoes are a Raymond Blanc recipe. He said his mum made them regularly.

Cube potatoes (about .5 inch). Heat frying pan until really hot, add oil and potatoes, stir like crazy, Lower heat but keep moving the potatoes around. Season. When they are cooked through add a thinly sliced banana shallot, toss a bit more, add knob of butter, toss again. Add lots of chopped parsley. Serve!

ninathenana Sat 06-Jul-19 05:44:57

It depends what I'm putting it with. It can be just shredded iceberg, tomato and cucumber with french dressing or I may add celery, red pepper, onion and for me coleslaw.

annep1 Sat 06-Jul-19 04:22:27

My salad is a combination of any of the following - (cant eat spring onions or cucumber) lettuce, vine tomatoes, celery, grated carrot, olives, pine nuts, beetroot, chopped raw mushrooms plus potato salad coleslaw hummus.
My side salad is lettuce and tomato.

SueH49 Sat 06-Jul-19 01:47:09

My favourite side salad at the moment is a colour mix of halved cherry or mini roma tomatoes, basil leaves cubes of toasted baguette and dressed with a balsamic dressing.

If I have more time torn lettuce, cubes of roasted beetroot and pumpkin and cubes of feta (or cream cheese) balsamic dressing.

Kittye Sat 06-Jul-19 01:34:15

Mama potatoes? I’m intrigued

JackyB Fri 05-Jul-19 23:29:05

Whatever's in the fridge.

GabriellaG54 Fri 05-Jul-19 23:20:37

Mama potatoes?

rosecarmel Fri 05-Jul-19 22:58:07

Sometimes I shred lettuce and radish and toss them together with a mix of olives- Its sort of like a "slaw"?

Urmstongran Fri 05-Jul-19 22:34:08

I like a green salad.
Little gem lettuce or pea shoots with cucumber, spring onions and green pepper. Squeeze of lemon juice.
Sorted!

Bathsheba Fri 05-Jul-19 21:52:57

Tonight I had mixed salad leaves, half a tomato, 5 or 6 slices of cucumber, a couple of sliced radishes, a couple of chopped beetroots (Tesco's 'sweet and fiery' ones, my favourite!), all liberally sprinkled with cress and topped with a dessertspoonful of coleslaw.

Had this with a salmon steak which, come to think of it, looked much more like the 'side' on my plate than the salad did grin