Gransnet forums

Food

Sandwich fillings?

(83 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 13-Jul-19 16:28:43

For some reason I fancied a change today for lunch. A real change from my usual. I don't know why but I craved it! I spread Lurpak on two slices of wholemeal bloomer then squashed up creamy goats cheese on one side and topped with sliced pears and black pepper. Top slice on, press down and eat. It was wonderful. The saltiness of the goats cheese was cut by the sweetness and crunch of the pear. Yum. ?
Any other suggestions for a wee change of sandwich filling?

fizzers Thu 18-Jul-19 19:26:08

banana and peanut butter, sliced beef with cheese and onion crisps, egg mixed with a little wholegrain mustard, tuna mixed with a little sweet chilli sauce , tuna with finely chopped onion, sweetcorn, add cucumber tomatoes lettuce etc to any of them apart from the peanut butter and banana of course. I also like a currant teacake with soft cheese, either philadelphia type cheese or dairylea

Jane10 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:40:08

Worst sandwiches now. My Granny was a keen experimenter. One of the worst was her sardine and fig brainwave! Yuk. She was a keen user of tinned tomatoes in sandwiches too ?
Her favourite one for train journeys was a fried egg between 2 slices of Ryvita. Just awful. The egg was stone cold but soggy and made the Ryvitas all damp and bendy. ?
The worst that I ever saw was a pile of curried squid and spinach sandwiches on white bread which had been stained by the contents. ?

chrissyh Thu 18-Jul-19 18:04:03

Tinned tuna, salad cream (mayo if you don't like salad cream) and sliced apple.

Shizam Wed 17-Jul-19 00:30:09

Bagels I made last week: smoked salmon, cream cheese, rocket, lemon and pepper. Divine.

Auntieflo Tue 16-Jul-19 17:05:57

Thank you Lilypollen

lilypollen Tue 16-Jul-19 16:53:38

Auntieflo In the chilled cabinet in Sainsbury's with the cheese obviously!! There were other flavours but I just craved my childhood treat. Tubes are plastic now though.

Fernbergien Mon 15-Jul-19 19:08:09

Cottage cheese with chopped dried dates.

susieq3 Mon 15-Jul-19 13:35:42

Roast pepper Humous cottage cheeses red pepper every day!
Crystal tips. Not all at once surely.!

Auntieflo Mon 15-Jul-19 13:20:53

Lilypollen, I didn’t know you could still get Primula with Prawn, will have to look now.
Justnoneed, a fried egg sandwich is one of our favourites.
But, I think my most favourite is hard boiled egg and mayonnaise/ salad cream. I borrowed that one from a character in one of Sue Grafton’s books.

Kiwigramz Mon 15-Jul-19 10:53:54

I love cold diced or shredded chicken and chopped green pepper mixed with mayonnaise and a small amount of curry powder. Very tasty and cooling in hot weather

Lovelifedance Mon 15-Jul-19 08:13:42

I haven’t tried it myself but around my area, NW England, especially around Manchester, a pie butty is a real item you can purchase. I remember a friend’s son buying a meat and potato pie barm cake with added bacon!
From my youth, I used to love banana and strawberry jam sandwiches and was envious of a friend having sugar butties!

BradfordLass72 Mon 15-Jul-19 07:27:35

I am so envious sad You cannot make a sandwich with Paleo bread, the only kind which does not adversely affect me.

But if I could: smile

Mature cheddar and sliced, raw onion (very thin)
Brussel sprouts (cooked in milk; it takes the bitterness away) mashed with plenty of white pepper.
Avocado and peppered salmon
Feta and fresh tomato
Feta and fresh (not pickled) beetroot
Cream cheese and beetroot and/or tomato
Mixed crispy salad, lots of it, the bread spread with mayo.
Grilled bacon with fresh tomato slices
Grilled bacon with avocado
Cream cheese with Spring onions

These were some of my favourites in the days I could eat wheat-based breads. <sigh> long gone.....

SueH49 Mon 15-Jul-19 00:57:09

Peanut butter (or banana), cheese and sultanas.

Tamayra Mon 15-Jul-19 00:47:57

Toasted bread with vegimite & mashed advocado

annep1 Sun 14-Jul-19 23:21:20

Hot fish finger and mayonnaise is our favourite. My son used to like sausage roll sandwiches. Ugh!

JessK Sun 14-Jul-19 21:16:54

Brie with pate and cranberry sauce or brie with bacon for me

Joelise Sun 14-Jul-19 21:09:26

Baguette, cut in half, spread on Boursin garlic cheese , generously add slices of rosette de Lyon , or other salami , top with sliced cornichon , deeeeeelicious !

JackyB Sun 14-Jul-19 20:57:13

I'm awfully conservative and can't understand crisp/chip/mashed potato sandwiches either!

My sandwiches always follow the same basic rules: Cut bread thin, butter generously, fill with at least two ingredients - one main ingredient (cheese, ham, egg, chicken, tuna...) and one accompaniment (tomato, cucumber, lettuce....) and one sauce (mayonnaise, salad cream, pickle, brown sauce..)

I love the sound of the goats' cheese mixtures mentioned above.

My most adventurous mix is cottage cheese and marmite.

GabriellaG54 Sun 14-Jul-19 20:43:12

Sourcerer48
Expect me for supper ???

kittylester Sun 14-Jul-19 17:56:42

I like fish finger sandwiches and my dad used to make us sugar sandwiches as a treat.

Luckylegs Sun 14-Jul-19 17:48:43

I’ve ever heard of half these concoctions and wouldn’t thank you for many of them. I always thought I was quite adventurous in my tastes but yuck!

sharon103 Sun 14-Jul-19 17:40:15

Hot fish fingers in a sandwich which melts the butter.
The boy next door when I was little used to eat sugar sandwiches. yuk!

sharon103 Sun 14-Jul-19 17:34:30

Desdemona thanks for that one I think one of my son's would like that.
KatyK. me too. cheese and onion crisp sandwich but with mayonnaise. Lush.

Nansypansy Sun 14-Jul-19 17:26:30

Bacon, banana and curried mayonnaise. Yum.

MagicWand Sun 14-Jul-19 17:14:56

- Cold scrambled egg preferably made with bacon lardons
- Marmite and peanut butter
- Cold rare beef and creamed horseradish
And don't get me started on the special Christmas sandwich that has to be made each year
- bread spread with cold cranberry and bread sauces instead of butter, cold turkey, any chopped roast root veg, crumbled stuffing, a thin layer of creamed leeks (if there's any left) topped off with a dollop of cold turkey gravy. It's a meal in itself!