Gransnet forums

Food

How far has your food travelled?

(53 Posts)
Notthecatsmother Sun 14-Jul-19 14:07:26

I was buying a few things in my local co op I picked up onions and was surprised to see on the label produce of Australia as I live in England I was a bit shocked. Surely onions can be sourced from closer to home?

Rowena48 Tue 16-Jul-19 13:06:31

Some products from New Zealand / Australia have a smaller carbon footprint than from Europe as they are shipped rather than flown or driven to the UK.

Grandad1943 Tue 16-Jul-19 12:54:38

In regards to the carbon footprint and the miles traveled by such produce, it is very much down to what is known as Logistics.

Poland is an importer of British products. Therefore, British registered vehicles have to travel across Europe with those products. To keep the costs of those journeys down they reload with Polish exports for delivery to Britain making the whole round trip cost effective to the Haulier and his customers.

The above then places those products on British Supermarket shelves at the cheapest possible price to the advantage of us all.

Britain has never been able to feed it's population from it's own agriculture, therefore approximately 40% of this nations food comes from European growers on trucks crossing the English Channel.

Something well worth thinking about if there is to be disruption to those vehicles crossing the channel due to brexit

Callistemon Tue 16-Jul-19 10:30:31

I feel cross with myself but I was in a rush!
Some of Tesco's mushrooms used to come from Poland, I'm not sure if they still do.

B9exchange Mon 15-Jul-19 21:39:46

There is a new organic farm shop opened within walking distance, so we stuck our noses in. £2.50 for a tiny punnet with 15 raspberries in, £1.50 for a small cucumber, I don't think we will be shopping there!

SueDonim Mon 15-Jul-19 21:17:51

Yes, I was also shocked that it was M&S selling them, Callistemon. I left them on the shelf. I think the other supermarket who had them was Tesco. British toms were in stock yesterday and all the fruit I bought was British, too.

Glammy57 Mon 15-Jul-19 21:02:09

We try to grow our own veg, but failing that, keep to as local as possible. Always, free-range organic eggs, organic Welsh milk and butter - we live in Wales!

Baggs Mon 15-Jul-19 20:57:57

Scottish cheese is kinda meh except for Highland Caboc, and one doesn't want to eat that all the time, so I'm glad it's now easy — a few years ago it wasn't — to get French and Swiss cheeses here as well as some of the better English ones.

Global Britain ☺️

Grandmama Mon 15-Jul-19 20:51:22

Ever since I watched Simon Reeve's programme that showed the exploitation of workers and environmental damage by huge (enormously huge, can be seen from space) nurseries in Spain I've always looked to see where fruit and veg come from.

Legs55 Mon 15-Jul-19 18:23:31

I buy all my fruit & veg in local corner shop & Greengrocers in Town, most is grown very close to where I live in Devon. I also use local butchers, it may cost a bit more but the quality is very good. I also have veg boxes delivered, all locally grown.

BusterTank Mon 15-Jul-19 17:59:31

We would all love to buy our veg locally but we don't want our knickers pulled down and our bottoms smacked . Surely the government should step in and by buying British would cut down our carbon foot print but I don't see why I should pay more .

paddyann Mon 15-Jul-19 17:42:08

I try to buy only produce witha Saltire on the pack ,you can get fab Scotch Tomatoes if you look and most other veg, turnips and carrots and lettuce . leeks and syboes and potatoes ,obviously not citrus fruits but apples and pears and Clyde Valley Victoria Plums and home grown cherries and loads more .I buy from a Sunday market where the sign says" if its not grown here we dont sell it so yes we have no Bananas". With lamb from the other side of my village and beef from a local farm shop ,milk delivered to my door from the hill opposite my food is very low on mileage My OH was fishing at the weekend so thats in the freezer from just 25 miles away

Whitewavemark2 Mon 15-Jul-19 17:26:20

I can remember the slogan “buy British” back in the day when we were seen as the sick man of Europe. Then we joined the EU and have never looked back.

Buy British seems to be returning though.

rosecarmel Mon 15-Jul-19 17:21:53

Food in the US is absolutely, utterly, flat out, disgusting- I'm talking you might as well throw salt on a loofa and call it a cuke- You simply know when a vegetable has been over fed with fertilizer- And the only time to buy "near by" produce, which is heavenly, is Summer- Unfortunately, the acreage in the US reserved for producing corn is soy is huge- Cash crops trump feeding the masses nutritious fruit- Most everything here is imported and awful by the time it reaches our tables-

Solonge Mon 15-Jul-19 16:15:01

We are not able to be self sufficient in the UK....not enough land, not enough animals, not enough fruit farms etc. We struggled during WWII....and that was with rationing, digging up everyone’s gardens for veg....and limiting the amount of meat we were allowed to eat....and that was with a vast number of the then much smaller population away fighting. We now have several million more people here....most are British having driven away our EU workers,; we have a population with huge expectations in terms of what they eat now compared to the 1930s, but equally a population not willing to fruit or veg pick.... whilst buying local is great....if we Brexit we ensure all our imported food has thousands of miles travel instead of a few hundred.

Callistemon Mon 15-Jul-19 15:29:44

I was just rather shocked that it was M&S SueDonim, selling these tomatoes. I know they were cheap, but thought that was just because they are in season.

So much for their 'adverts' when they are showing the ITV weather presenters around their farms - I don't suppose they'll be showing the ones petra mentions where African workers are being exploited.

there's no such thing as cheap food. Someone somewhere pays the price, be it the end purchaser or the exploited agricultural labourer.
It's often the farmer who has to subsidise the special offers etc. No wonder so many give up.

NanaandGrampy Mon 15-Jul-19 13:42:55

I think we should all buy what’s in season here in the U.K. , and there’s plenty of it.

The big supermarkets do have cheap offers but that’s just to get you in the door to buy dearer items. Now I’m retired I have the time to do my research and I might go to more than one store to get things at the best price. Luckily, most of the places I want to visit are within a fairly short distance of each other so I’m not driving round using up fuel and just making environmental issues worse.

SueDonim Mon 15-Jul-19 13:23:50

Petra I have recently read about the tomato 'mafia', I think in the Guardian. I was so shocked! It's another thing where one needs to read the labels.

Bustertank there's no such thing as cheap food. Someone somewhere pays the price, be it the end purchaser or the exploited agricultural labourer. Same for clothes and many other things.

quizqueen Mon 15-Jul-19 13:12:48

Everyone needs to think about buying British products as much as possible especially after Brexit. It's no good complaining about companies shutting down and putting people out of work if you haven't bought their goods to keep the company thriving!

petra Mon 15-Jul-19 13:03:27

Another fact on the exploitation of people producing food/drink.
Of the total value of coffee around $200 billion a year only 10% stays in the country of origin

petra Mon 15-Jul-19 12:55:11

Bustertank
how can the fruit and veg etc
Average monthly wage in Poland €468.
SueDonim
Read up on how the Italian Mafia have taken over the tomato growing trade in that country and how they are exploiting illegal African migrants.
Worse than Spain!!!! That's how we get our cheap food. Not me though, I don't support any country that treats people like this.
What are the beloved eu doing about these horror practices: nothing!!!

Newatthis Mon 15-Jul-19 12:54:57

Consumer demand dictates unfortunately and sadly. It's all fair and well saying buy local produce but I have yet to find it cheaper than the big supermarkets and I live in the countryside!

123kitty Mon 15-Jul-19 12:45:02

Why are locally grown produce on market stalls so expensive? I would love to buy my veg from them but can't afford it. So it's masses of plastic packaging, miles of travelling and feeling guilty for not supporting local growers for me.

Riverwalk Mon 15-Jul-19 12:44:37

Sea bass fillets - Turkey
Baby plum tomatoes - Belgium
Blueberries - Poland
Bag mixed green beans, broccoli & carrots - Kenya
Non-alcohol beer - Germany
PG tips - Kenya

Organic chicken - UK (no location)
Organic tofu - Devon
Organ butter - Somerset
Free range eggs - UK (no location)

SueDonim Mon 15-Jul-19 12:39:18

Callistemon it wasn't so much the fact they were Polish, although that is an issue as we produce our own in the UK at time of year, but the fact that six tomatoes cost 75p. How can they be so cheap? How much do the pickers get paid?

GrandtanteJE65 we may be doing people in poorer countries a favour in the long run by not buying the green beans etc that they produce. Many of the workers have had their rural farmland/smallholdings taken from them by force or by deception and where they once were able to support their families with their small area of land, they are now dependent on the big agricultural companies for employment. These companies have them over a barrel and pay the least they can get away with.

BusterTank Mon 15-Jul-19 12:35:55

We have most fruit and veg in England but the English farmers are so greedy ,it cost an arm and leg to buy British . Then they moan we are buying from abroad . How can the fruit and veg travel by plane and still be cheaper ? Just goes to show its rip off Britain .