Gransnet forums

Food

Corned Beef

(94 Posts)
Daddima Sun 21-Jul-19 19:50:38

Is there any particular reason this is still sold in those rectangular tins with the wee key?

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 13:25:56

I don't eat it so DH has to put up with the packet stuff!

gillybob Mon 22-Jul-19 13:24:17

I agree with what others have said thin slices are no good in hash !

MissAdventure Mon 22-Jul-19 13:20:51

Oh that sounds nice. smile

Silverlady79 Mon 22-Jul-19 13:18:08

My recipe. It is food of the gods indeed. Not a calorie counted meal but a once in a while special. Fry two large onions in butter and garlic till gently browned and caramelised. Boil a bag of salad potatoes, crush them gently. Fold the cubed corned beef carefully into the crushed potatoes, add a couple of ounces of cheese and put in a dish. Cover with a couple of bags of crisps and halved tiny tomates scattered over the top. Bake in a hot oven till bubbling.

Dancinggran Mon 22-Jul-19 12:45:07

I'm taking 3 of my grandchildren on on holiday for a week in a caravan. Yesterday we were talking food and the first thing they asked for was corned beef hash. Only ever once had bloodshed opening a tin and that was over 30 years ago.

Bijou Mon 22-Jul-19 12:37:52

AuntieFlo. I have a big key. Bought it in France.
I am inclined to be anaemic so eat corned beef often as it is high in iron.

Maggiemaybe Mon 22-Jul-19 12:24:42

We do buy the packs for sandwiches, Camelotclub, but I thought the slices would disintegrate in a hash (the way we make it anyway).

MissAdventure Mon 22-Jul-19 12:19:17

I've just told grandson he's having corned beef for dinner tonight (I don't eat it) and he said "cool". smile
Easy tea tonight then.

GreenGran78 Mon 22-Jul-19 12:15:39

I don't know if my digestive system can't cope, as I am getting older. I used to love corned-beef hash, made from a tin, but it seems to have a greasy taste to it now, and doesn't agree with me. Normally I have no digestive problems. I sometimes buy it sliced, from the deli counter though.

I remember reading, years ago, that a large proportion of people attending A & E had cut themselves on the lethal corned beef cans. I imagine that it's no longer the case!

Camelotclub Mon 22-Jul-19 12:14:19

Maggie
You can buy corned beef ready sliced in the ham section of the deli section of the supermarket! Costs a fair bit more but no fiddling with nasty keys or tins.

Paperbackwriter Mon 22-Jul-19 12:02:11

Corned beef (Bleugh!)reminds me of some of the things my mother used to give me for tea and which I also hated: tongue, spam, smoked haddock to name a few.
Does anyone remember the great corned beef ban from sometime in the early 60s when some of it was found to be poisoned with botulism? I was delighted - meant it never appeared in our house ever again!

Auntieflo Mon 22-Jul-19 11:44:25

Callistemon, thanks. I have bought the packet stuff, but it’s not the same, is it?
For all those struggling with opening CB tins, I have this big key, that has a slot in the end, that takes the little tag on the tins. Don’t know where it came from, but it’s priceless, no cut fingers.
I think I posted a photo some time ago, when we had a thread going about useful kitchen gadgets.

SueDoku Mon 22-Jul-19 11:29:56

Corned beef - aaah, food of the gods..! smile
We used to have it a lot when the DC were small - especially when we went camping - because it was a cheap meal..! We ate it with chips and egg, jacket potatoes, as corned beef hash - it went down a treat grin
I still love it, and every now and again I treat myself to a small tin - I usually slice off the outside - all the yummy fat (I was brought up in a family where, if you were good, you got the fat off the meat - not great for a diet, but nothing goes to waste.!!) and have it with a baked spud, then have the rest in a hash a couple of days later. Delicious...wink

Nanny123 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:29:50

Goodness knows - I hate it and even more so when you get home and realise you have picked up one with a missing key

inishowen Mon 22-Jul-19 11:29:14

When we first married I used to make my version of corned beef hash. A layer of corned beef, a layer of baked beans and mashed potato on top. A very cheap meal that we used to love.

lemongrove Mon 22-Jul-19 11:26:36

The best corned beef is from the Co-op, slices in a pack, really, really delicious and unlike from other supermarkets.

blueskies Mon 22-Jul-19 11:05:34

Is corned beef safe to eat? I've given up bacon.

Nanny41 Mon 22-Jul-19 10:55:55

Didnt know they still sold tins? why? the packets of sliced Corned beef are lovely, does anyone really bother with those dangerous tins,when there are other options!

JanaNana Mon 22-Jul-19 10:44:42

I open the corned beef tin with with a butterfly type tin opener ..... open one end, turn it over, do the same on the other end and it pushes out easily. Have"nt"t used the fiddly little key for a long time. You can also buy corned beef sliced from the deli counter at the supermarket or get it pre packed.

EllanVannin Mon 22-Jul-19 10:20:11

Spam is another versatile product from the past, with an awkward tin unless you buy the plastic lidded container like I do.

blondenana Mon 22-Jul-19 10:16:26

I love corned beef ,always buy a tin when i go food shopping
The last one i bought the key snapped halfway through, had to finish with a sharp knife
Love corned beef hash too,, done in the oven with alternate layers of sliced potatos,onions and corned beef, mm very tasty

gillybob Mon 22-Jul-19 10:14:00

When DH and I argue it’s always about “that place” ! He is very mild mannered normally but we once had a “right humdinger” that resulted in him throwing the phone across the office and smashing the glass door ! I went home in the middle of the day and made Panhaggerty and he came in and could smell it cooking . He was very sheepish ... we both ended up laughing ! So now whenever I make it he says “sorry, what have I done?” grin

Plunger Mon 22-Jul-19 10:10:20

I use a tin opener to open corn beef tins. Not easy but better than slicing my fingers!

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 10:05:53

Our first row was over something I had lovingly prepared, gillybob - in our case a pudding. grin

Barmeyoldbat Mon 22-Jul-19 10:05:28

Oh dear I seem to have been missing out on the little pleasures of life. I have to admit I have never had corn beef harsh. Never had corn beef since I was a child.