Gransnet forums

Food

Gluten free dessert

(15 Posts)
SusiQ Mon 22-Jul-19 11:40:50

Anyone got suggestions for easy, gluten free dessert that isn’t meringue or fruit salad please? Need a recipe that serves 8 to take to an outdoor event.

janeainsworth Mon 22-Jul-19 11:47:48

crumbkitchen.com/ottolenghis-clementine-almond-breakfast-cake/

I made this for a friend who is gluten free. I just used all ground almonds instead of ground almonds + flour.
It worked really well & is delicious. I don’t know why this blog calls it a breakfast cake, that’s not how it’s described in the book.

MiniMoon Mon 22-Jul-19 11:48:42

Have a look on the BBC Good Food site. There are lots of cakes and traybakes. My DD uses this site quite often for gluten free recipes.

Grammaretto Mon 22-Jul-19 11:49:35

Gooseberry fool? we had a wonderful one at a restaurant recently it had elderflower in in too
Gluten free chocolate cake - you can't go wrong there
I saw a lovely cookbook title which I almost bought for my gluten free friend.

How to be Gluten free and keep your friends.
I think there was a vegan in the same series.

SusiQ Mon 22-Jul-19 20:54:01

Thank you all. I’ll look into your suggestions.

jenpax Mon 22-Jul-19 21:07:37

Gluten free, vegetarian recipes will be most welcome if anyone has any? One DGD (7yrs) is coeliac ?

Melanie61 Mon 22-Jul-19 21:31:11

I just substitute wheat flour for gluten free flour readily available from the big supermarkets into any recipe. Works well.

BradfordLass72 Tue 23-Jul-19 07:06:08

jenpax

If you can get hold of genuinely gluten-free oats, blend 2 cup of that with 2 ripe-ish bananas and roll into balls. Put on a greased tray, squash a little with fork and bake until slightly golden - about 20-30 mins depending on oven.

My grandson love making these and apart from a little supervision with the blender, can do it all himself.

They are good by themselves but we sometimes 'garnish' smile with butter and sugar-free maple syrup.
You can also add vanilla essence, choc chips, dried fruit, but they are yummy just as they are.

And almost certainly you'll know about chopping a banana up, freezing it then blending it to make ice cream.

Gluten-free grandchildren are good for creativity!

Grammaretto Tue 23-Jul-19 07:40:43

Gluten free flour doesn't make good pastry as its too crumbly but does make a nice crumble.

Fennel Tue 23-Jul-19 08:55:28

Try using cornflour instead of flour.
Old fashioned blancmange? with fruit and cream.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 23-Jul-19 09:34:29

Sophie Dahl does a wonderful chocolate cake that is flourless. It sinks in the middle as it cools and you fill the dip with cream or mascarpone and fruit. It's delicious

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 23-Jul-19 09:35:22

Otherwise use Dove's Farm GF self raising flour instead of SR flour in any recipe. I do this all the time as DD is allergic to wheat and everything goes down well

kittylester Tue 23-Jul-19 09:55:47

What Cari said. I use Nigellas choc recipe though and fill with raspberries. Oranges or strawberries would work or cherries.

Delia's All in One Sponge recipe works brilliantly with Dove's. I make the chocolate version with salted caramel buttercream. I do 1.5 times the quantity or it tends to be flatter than normal flour.

Bought pastry is ok.

Joelise Tue 23-Jul-19 09:57:42

Chocolate mousse, just chocolate, double cream and eggs , sorry can’t give actual recipe, as on holiday.

Grammaretto Tue 23-Jul-19 11:04:15

We have had a GF staying for a fortnight. She is GF. I am veggie, well pesci as I sometimes eat fish.
We found GF taco shells and filled them with various veg and chilli, guacamole, egg, bean, lentil, fillings. Not all at once.
Rice and kedgeree were popular.
You can make your own pancakes or wraps using maize flour (that's what Americans call corn)

We like sliced aubergine with a tomato sauce topping and grated cheese, cooked until crisp in the oven. Rather like a pizza.
I realised that giving up bread for a while was no hardship and I possibly lost a lb or two. I felt better anyway.

Rye bread and sour dough is probably fine but we didn't risk it.
My local guru, bread expert, would have something to say about the bought bread from supermarkets or chain bakers.
www.breadmatters.com/scottish-heritage-flour/

That banana icecream is delicious Bradfordlass