Gransnet forums

Food

Desert salt-who knew?

(11 Posts)
suziewoozie Fri 26-Jul-19 14:30:08

I didn’t until this morning in the market. From the Kalahari. Very er er salty.

Grannyknot Fri 26-Jul-19 15:21:16

HiSuzie as a born and bred South African - I did smile (living in the UK for the past 20 years). It is the one in the pic you mean? I love the simple, stylish label. I'm so happy to find out I can buy it here - or order it online. (So thank you!)

There are some fabulous salt combinations available in SA and when we go there on holiday I always bring some back - salt and turmeric, citrus salt, salt and ginger, wine salt etc.

suziewoozie Fri 26-Jul-19 16:05:11

That’s it?. You’re right about being stylish - they had some gift sets as well - would make a nice present

ninathenana Fri 26-Jul-19 17:53:43

Is there a noticable difference in taste ?

grannyactivist Fri 26-Jul-19 17:57:47

My brother, who is a bit of a foodie, waxes lyrical about various types of salt, but when he flavours my food with one or other all I can taste is....well......salt. confused

suziewoozie Fri 26-Jul-19 17:58:44

It was very salty?. But never mind all that, it looks dead stylish on the table and rather recherché ( me, a poser??)

suziewoozie Fri 26-Jul-19 18:01:44

I have a little tray in the kitchen with six different types of salt on it. Plus of course the normal rock salt in the grinder. Oh the effort and skill that goes into deciding which is right for what . I must say that the Cornish smoked sea salt is amazing in a gin based cocktail I make.

sodapop Fri 26-Jul-19 20:16:06

Awaiting an invitation to your next drinks party sooziewoozie the gin cocktail sound good.

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 21:34:22

Not allowed salt ?
May I have your gin cocktail minus it?

suziewoozie Fri 26-Jul-19 22:12:35

Well lemon without the Cornish sea salt I fear it would be a very boring gin cocktail. No salt at all - have you got used to it or do you still miss it?

lemongrove Fri 26-Jul-19 22:15:25

I’ve got used to it now, like you do with no sugar in tea/coffee, however since they reduced salt in bread, it’s pretty tasteless and I do miss good bread.