Gransnet forums

Food

Blackberries/sloes

(10 Posts)
hicaz46 Sat 27-Jul-19 18:16:22

I’ve just picked some hanging over from next door. It seems really early, but it’s silly not to pick when they are so ripe.

Nandalot Sat 27-Jul-19 18:11:04

We were just discussing sloes the other night, (whilst some were savouring some sloe gin), apparently they are better picked after frost or failing that put in the freezer before using for slow gin.

Greyduster Sat 27-Jul-19 17:40:26

We had a walk down the lane on Wednesday and there are masses of blackberries but we only found seven ripe ones (which GS ate!). Sloes are a bit thin on the ground and nowhere near ripe yet. However, I have never seen so many hazelnuts for years. Every tree is smothered in them, even ones I’ve never seen bearing nuts before.

boheminan Sat 27-Jul-19 17:09:59

Over the last couple of years sloes have been ripening earlier here in Oxfordshire. Last year at the end of August I went to my local sloe source to see how they were doing, and they been practically stripped bare. So try very end of August/beginning Sept for picking

Farmor15 Sat 27-Jul-19 16:58:18

Some varieties of blackberry might be ripe though most won’t be ready for another few weeks. Sloes are later- some suggest they’re better after a frost but certainly not till September.

Ngaio1 Sat 27-Jul-19 15:55:40

Hadn't even started looking! Will check tomorrow and then buy the gin!!

Jaxjacky Sat 27-Jul-19 15:44:15

Thanks, I’ll make the trek now and have a look here, hopefully...then can take the grandchildren tomorrow.

tanith Sat 27-Jul-19 15:10:42

We have blackberrys ripe at several places near us on the golf course and footpaths.

ninathenana Sat 27-Jul-19 14:48:06

The blackberries on DH allotment in Kent are just starting to ripen

Jaxjacky Sat 27-Jul-19 14:45:13

Hi all, anyone seen any yet, or am I too early? Am in southern Hampshire. Last year too dry.

Thanks