Gransnet forums

Food

M&S soup veg

(17 Posts)
annep1 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:53:51

Just bought these ready prepared for the first time. Just add stock.
It says Do not reheat.

I usually buy Tesco or Sainsburys and have always reheated.

I wonder why you can't reheat. Anyone else use these?

annep1 Tue 06-Aug-19 07:38:55

Anyone? ?

Grannyknot Tue 06-Aug-19 08:23:47

Hi Anne I can't comment on this particular product, but I always ignore the "do not reheat" instruction and rely on my own judgment and I've never had any problems or ill effects. I cannot think of a logical reason why home made veg soup could not be reheated.

EllanVannin Tue 06-Aug-19 08:54:50

I'm not a fan of re-heating.

MiniMoon Tue 06-Aug-19 09:05:25

I've never bought them, but if they are just prepared vegetables ready to add to stock, then I wouldn't worry about reheating.
Does the pack contain anything else, chicken for instance?
I reheat homemade soup.

BradfordLass72 Tue 06-Aug-19 09:11:07

So you drink it cold, warmed only by the stock ???

Fine for Gazpacho but vegetable soup?

I'd be reading the label to see what it could possibly contain that cannot be re-heated. Or is it a ploy to get you to throw away the left-overs and buy new?

Maybe they fear heat will resurrect the veg?

It'd be quicker and possibly healthier just to buy a pack of ready-prepared raw veg, add the stock and eat that.

Bikerhiker Tue 06-Aug-19 09:54:02

I think it is just a get out for companies to state this. They are covering their backs in case someone cooks soup, leaves it out of the fridge for a week in hot weather then reheats it, or some such thing.
This is a bit like clothing companies putting 'hand wash' on garments that machine wash fine.

annep1 Tue 06-Aug-19 09:54:09

Bradfordlass sorry I wasnt clear.
Directions. Add soup mix to stock bring to boil. After 10 mins add vegetables and boil for further 15 mins. Serve and do not reheat. Lol
Soup in half an hour??. I simmer for ages.
And why would anyone make a pot of vegetable soup that you can't reheat!?

No other ingredients.

Thanks everyone. I know it's a boring post.?

annep1 Tue 06-Aug-19 09:55:16

Bikerhiker (love the name ) you're probably right.

Callistemon Tue 06-Aug-19 10:52:38

I agree, I was thinking that, if the soup base is meat stock, they could be concerned that someone would gently reheat the soup instead of boiling it vigorously for a couple of minutes. It needs to be cooled down quickly too after cooking.

Even if it is not meat based, then the same rule should apply. If you make a big pot of soup, then just reheat the amount you need, not the whole lot.

Otherwise there is a risk of food poisoning.

glammanana Tue 06-Aug-19 11:06:06

I think I would make my own to be honest and save any worries.

annep1 Tue 06-Aug-19 13:33:32

Well I am making my own. I just have never read instructions for soup veg that said do not reheat. I usually freeze half for another day and reheat and boil for a while So I shall do that and ignore the instructions.
I must explain I'm a bit paranoid about food as I have had episodes of feeling faint and vomiting in last few years that are unexplained.

Callistemon Tue 06-Aug-19 15:57:43

I've bought the soup veg from Tesco and it says 'do not freeze'
I have frozen it and used it and it was fine.

M0nica Tue 06-Aug-19 16:16:28

The supermarkets are covering their backs in case a consumer does something really stupid, much as Bikerhiker suggests.

I take little note of instructions and use my senses of sight, look, taste and common sense and I haven't given anyone food poisoning yet. It is not that on occasion, I haven't had food poisoning, but always from food clearly eaten outside the house (mussels were the cause of the last occasion)

Blondiescot Tue 06-Aug-19 19:26:21

Why would you not reheat soup? Everyone knows that soup - and things such as stews and so on - are always better the next day anyway.

Callistemon Tue 06-Aug-19 19:39:13

Don't, however, reheat it in a soup maker if you have one.
It sticks and burns the bottom of the soup maker.

annep1 Tue 06-Aug-19 20:35:02

So have I Callistemon
I never actually looked at instructions on soup veg before.
Silly me for looking. Shall ignore in future . Thanks everyone.