Gransnet forums

Food

Cabbage

(35 Posts)
gillybob Sat 31-Aug-19 19:32:38

What do you think it means to crave cabbage ? I’m not pregnant .

Doodle Sat 14-Sep-19 12:55:26

Me too Monica unfortunately they leave me very windy blush

M0nica Fri 13-Sep-19 14:25:42

I love brassicas in all their many manifestations, without doubt my favourite vegetables.

I would eat them at every meal given a chance.

jura2 Fri 13-Sep-19 13:28:56

just give in to the cravings - can't do any harm, for sure,

glammanana Fri 13-Sep-19 13:26:38

I love any cabbage,spring is my favourite the darker green the better we are lucky to have some good local farms nearby and can get them straight out of the ground.
We enjoy cabbage mixed with leeks and lashing of butter,I could eat a plate just on it's own,do you remember when our mums had you drinking the cabbage water when she had finished cooking the Sunday dinner ?

Alexa Fri 13-Sep-19 13:18:56

Bubble and Squeak is a good standby in the freezer. I make small tupper boxes of it for my solitary indulgence.

I put a veg OXO and butter in the mix, and usually some fried onion and of course have it with a blob of tomato ketchup.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 13-Sep-19 12:57:55

Um ... insanity?

Fennel Fri 13-Sep-19 12:42:59

I'm not keen on cabbage, except for red cabbage stewed with vinegar sugar apples and raisins.
Has anyone ever made sauerkraut? That's supposed to be tasty.

grannylyn65 Fri 13-Sep-19 12:42:52

How do you steam fry cabbage?

Carillion01 Fri 13-Sep-19 12:40:00

I love cabbage (and sprouts!).
My fave way with cabbage just now is using the leaves instead of vine leaves for dolmas/dolmades. I stuff the blanched leaves with rice and minced meat, barely cover them with stock and cook until tender. Yum.

Witzend Fri 13-Sep-19 12:33:35

Boiled potatoes, diced and fried in a little oil with chopped onions, cabbage cooked quickly, chopped and mixed in. Sort of bubble and squeak.
Going to have that soon with something, maybe sausages - the non fatty kind.

I often put sliced cabbage - green or white - in stir fries. I had never thought of cabbage as at all an Asian thing - recipes so often say pak choi - but on a visit to Indonesia years ago (dh was based there for a bit) we were going up the massive Mount Bromo, and once past the paddy field level there were masses of neatly diamond shaped fields all over the slopes - all full of cabbages!

JackyB Wed 11-Sep-19 18:23:44

I did that, too, justme when I was preggers - I would eat 3 oranges, and then drink a litre of milk. Goodness knows what my innards looked like.

As for the original question in the OP - you don't say what kind of cabbage. Here is an interesting page listing the nutrients - it's American I'm afraid, and I think the values apply to Savoy cabbage, but it might help you to find out what you are deficient in. (I would put my money on folic acid)

www.healthline.com/nutrition/benefits-of-cabbage#section1

justme2 Wed 11-Sep-19 16:31:31

with one of my pregnancies, I craved oranges and ate them in massive quantities. Thank goodness, they were in season so were affordable.

At the time, I was too young and dumb to know why the craving but later realized it was due to a deficiency. I'm glad my body was smart enough to shout for them

BBbevan Sun 01-Sep-19 18:54:06

Just had cabbage carbonara. Another low carb favourite , made with pointy cabbage

Gonegirl Sun 01-Sep-19 13:15:12

I ate a whole long fillet of smoked cod in the week for my lunch. DH was out so ate his bit.

EllanVannin Sun 01-Sep-19 12:18:24

Love cabbage potatoes and bacon strewn over it along with the bacon fat poured over. Roll on winter ! Hot pots too.

EllanVannin Sun 01-Sep-19 12:16:33

Speaking of fish, I had a lovely hunk of smoked haddock in the week, steamed-----with lashings of Lurpak of course and just Hovis bread and butter.

gillybob Sun 01-Sep-19 09:35:24

Oh yes I could eat one of those right now BlueSapphire made with proper homemade chips. Don’t laugh but we have a little portable hob that I sometimes hook up outside to cook smelly stuff (like fish) . I might be tempted to put a pan of chips on later . De-bloomin- lishus !

BlueSapphire Sun 01-Sep-19 08:25:13

I'm craving a chip butty......

Willow500 Sun 01-Sep-19 07:46:20

I love spring greens but never cook them as OH doesn't. If we ever go out for Sunday lunch and it's on the carvery I'm straight in there grin Also love broccoli and sprouts - green veg is so good for your eyes too!

kittylester Sun 01-Sep-19 07:35:28

paddyann, I do that and stir the bacon fat and some cream into it all with lots of black pepper.

BradfordLass72 Sun 01-Sep-19 06:20:25

I often crave broccoli and if I'm pregnant, look for a star in the East smile

Coolgran65 Sun 01-Sep-19 04:30:55

I often steam cabbage over the potatoes and cut into wedges. Never thought to do it shredded and it would cook quicker. Thanks for that.

Pantglas1 Sun 01-Sep-19 04:11:28

Shredded and steamed then butter stirred in with grindings of black pepper....mmmn!

paddyann Sun 01-Sep-19 00:50:11

I love steamfried cabbage with crispy bacon bits through it ,I'll have that just with potato some nights for my dinner .Its a throw back to my Irish granny .

gillybob Sat 31-Aug-19 23:29:53

Omg rosecaramel I’ve been craving crusts too . confused