Gransnet forums

Food

Nut and seed free recipes

(8 Posts)
GrandmaCornwall Thu 19-Sep-19 22:02:09

My eldest grandsons have started at a new school which they are loving and would willingly go to on Saturdays if they were open !
They take packed lunches and are not allowed to take any foods containing nuts or seeds to school ( school policy ) Can anyone suggest where I can look to find nut and seed free recipes. They have a very well balanced diet and my daughter would like to keep it that way.
The exception is when Grandma arrives laden with treats ? Can anyone help with ideas.

MawB Fri 20-Sep-19 07:17:05

Wouldn’t it be easier just to use your own judgement regarding recipes?
I can only think of about three things I make which contain nuts or seeds and they are clearly indicated in the name.
Are you talking about baking?
Do they take sandwiches? What would a typical packed lunch contain?

LullyDully Fri 20-Sep-19 07:41:16

I am not sure why this is a problem. All schools are nut/ seed free as is much of the food we eat.

BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Sep-19 11:32:15

What sort of recipes are you looking for?

I use both pumpkin and sunflower seeds regularly but the majority of the recipes I have don't contain either.

Some bread rolls have sesame seeds on top but ordinary bread is nut and seed free.

GrandmaCornwall Fri 20-Sep-19 15:32:20

Thanks for the responses. Sadly not all schools are nut/ seed free as my friend found out recently and had to remove her child to a school which took the problem seriously. Also their previous school was not nut/ seed free.
Nuts and seeds form a large part of my Grandsons diet as both are not keen on meat. Seeded bread was a great favourite.
I am looking for sandwich fillings and baking items too, I have found if you put nut and seed free recipes into Google, it disregards the free and all the recipes contain nuts or seeds.

mumofmadboys Fri 20-Sep-19 18:23:24

Carrot sticks, cucumber, flapjack, shortbread, fruit inc grapes,sandwiches, boxes of raisins.

KnightApril Thu 17-Oct-19 20:12:52

Hi!
My Kids love Milk with Sesame Seeds and Honey - greenann.com/recipe/sesame-milk/
Try!)
Ingredients:
5 tbsp White Sesame Seeds
2 cups Water
1 tbsp Honey
½ tsp (optional) Vanilla
Really tasty!

LullyDully Fri 18-Oct-19 08:29:23

No seeds remember.?