Gransnet forums

Food

Tasty failproof veggie dishes?

(73 Posts)
grapefruitpip Mon 14-Oct-19 19:56:20

I know I can Google/you tube but I like to hear actual dishes that actual people make regularly and successfully.

Any little tweaks to liven things up?

I tried a jar of peppers in oil from Sainsburys in a sauce tonight in with vegetables. Just lifted it a bit.

NotSpaghetti Tue 15-Oct-19 11:09:58

If I’m short of ideas I always look here:
ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/vegetable-and-vegetarian

Ottolenghi recipes are delicious and I have never made one that we didn’t like. Some we make regularly - Easter pie and Dacos for example.

Bon appetite!

Twopence Tue 15-Oct-19 11:13:37

Link if it works
www.cookingonpage32.wordpress.com/2017/12/30/chilli-eggs/

NotSpaghetti Tue 15-Oct-19 11:15:13

Oh, and not an Ottolenghi but spinach and feta pie is delicious... and SO easy...

SPANAKOPITA:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=eUTVesSFows

newnanny Tue 15-Oct-19 11:55:18

Mary Berry's Aubergine lasagne.

She puts slices of cooked aubergines and bits of mozzarella cheese for one layer and tomato and herb sauce for the other layer. Cheese sauce layer on top. My dh is veggie and he loves it.

Babybelle Tue 15-Oct-19 12:09:13

I think it was thyme and bay leaves in the JO recipe last night!

shysal Tue 15-Oct-19 12:24:23

I am also going to try JO's onion tarte, also fancied his veg cottage pie, but was unable to buy Porcini mushrooms from Asda so have ordered some on line.

grapefruitpip Tue 15-Oct-19 12:50:48

I am a bit scared of Ottolengi having seen his long lists of ingredients.

marionk Tue 15-Oct-19 14:03:53

Risotto with butternut squash and a little chilli - comfort food!

Hm999 Tue 15-Oct-19 14:28:13

Adding to Hetty's post. I find M&S add anchovies and other fishy bits (for extra flavour!) to dishes that appear to be vegetarian, but consequently aren't. E.g. a vegetable curry might not be vegetarian.

cc Tue 15-Oct-19 14:48:03

I find that smoked cayenne or fresh coriander add a bit of flavour to many veggie dishes.
My husband is a very determined carnivore but is happy to have puy lentils boiled until almost tender then fried with onions, garlic and mushrooms and anything else tasty that you fancy (herbs and spices to taste). Lidl does jars of sundried tomatoes, aubergines, charred peppers and various other vegetables which you can add, they're not expensive - perhaps cheaper than using fresh - and leftovers keep well in the jar in the fridge.
This is lovely with potatoes, some pasta or or rice, and perhaps a nice sausage of some kind.
I also cook fajitas with cumin, fresh coriander, chilli, sliced peppers and onions, beans, served with guacomole, half-fat creme fraiche and some fresh or grilled tomatoes. You help yourself to filling for the wrap. Its easy enough to add a little meat for any carnivores. You can also roll up the wraps beforehand, cover with cheese or sauce and bake in the oven.

pen50 Tue 15-Oct-19 15:08:49

Fritattas! Cook up any mixture of veg you have kicking about (last night's had onion, carrot, pak choi, peppers), pop them into a large frying pan with a bit of oil and butter, add several crushed cloves of garlic and seasoning, cook everything together until it's reasonably dry, turn on the grill to high, pour over beaten eggs (2-3 per person), cook over medium heat until nearly set, then stick the frying pan under the grill until gloriously golden brown.

sazz1 Tue 15-Oct-19 15:46:24

Slice and fry some courgettes, boil pasta combine pasta and courgettes. Stir in creme fraiche and lots of grated cheese. For meat eaters fry sliced chorizo and lardons and add this too.

Nonnie Tue 15-Oct-19 15:47:21

Fry up onions and garlic, add whatever is around, simmer in chopped tinned tomatoes, add grated vegan cheese and bake. Always different, always tasty and no weighing or faffing. Good way to use up leftovers. I'm not a vegan so I use real cheese and sometimes left overs too. Serve with whatever you like, I often have a baked potato.

Hetty58 Tue 15-Oct-19 15:58:27

Make double quantities and freeze or refrigerate half whenever you can. Two meals and only one lot of cooking, prep - and mess! Often, I can't be bothered to cook but luckily I'm a fan of beans on toast!

NotSpaghetti Tue 15-Oct-19 16:00:07

grapefruitpip - please don't be scared of him!!
Many of the ingredients are spices and they tend to go in all at once. Really it's not as hard as it looks once you get over the panic.

NotSpaghetti Tue 15-Oct-19 16:08:09

Sorry, posted too soon.
Meant to suggest reading through the method and then putting all the ingredients which go in at once in a bowl together. This breaks the instructions up into more manageable chunks. I was daunted at first but try one on a day when you aren't in a rush and I'm certain you'll be converted!

And do try the (non- Ottolenghi) Spanakopita from the video as it works with pretty much any quantity of the ingredients! Super super easy and even my pickiest grandson loves it!

I am rooting for you!!

LondonGranny Tue 15-Oct-19 16:09:11

If I know a veggie or vegan is coming over I go for curries. I don't have recipes as such, I tend to look in the fridge and see what's there.
I always have garam marsala in the cupboard and chillies in the fridge (as well as dried ones) and some vegan stock cubes. I always have onions, carrots and celery which is the best of vegetarian bases for somthing wet like stew or curry. I always have long grain rice, red lentils and tinned pulses like butterbeans, kidney beans etc. A squirt of tomato puree and bob's your uncle.

LondonGranny Tue 15-Oct-19 16:11:35

Garlic! I forgot to mention garlic!

Elcie Tue 15-Oct-19 16:23:02

One of my favourites is cauliflower cheese , but with a tomato garlic, onion and herb sauce underneath. Top with extra cheese and breadcrumbs and grill till brown and crunchy. Delicious as a Sunday lunch with Yorkshire pudding ?

grapefruitpip Tue 15-Oct-19 18:01:00

Spurred on by your enthusiasm Not Spag, I will try. Tonight's butternut squash curry for tea, was acceptable.

Penelope33 Tue 15-Oct-19 18:09:05

Spinach and mushroom lasagne is my favourite. Lasagne sheets in bottom of a dish. Pour on half a tin of chopped tomatoes with herbs. Fry mushrooms, garlic in oil then sweat some spinach down and stir it all with salt and pepper. Pour this onto the tomatoes and lasagne sheets in the dish. Top with layer of lasagne sheets and pour on white lasagne sauce to cover. Sprinkle with grated cheese and cook at 150/160. You should do it in two layers but I like it just sort of sandwiched.

Anthea1948 Tue 15-Oct-19 18:38:00

As a vegetarian I make a lot of veggie meals from scratch and then I can add what I like. If I make a quorn pie I add sesame oil, tomato sauce, and soy sauce, just to give it a bit of flavour, as well as some diced veg. I regularly make cheese souffles and cheese and veg pies and usually add some mustart powder, and with quorn lasagnes I tend to use a ragu sauce.
This is a great post - I'm getting lots of ideas ...

glammagran Tue 15-Oct-19 18:45:26

Just eaten Ricotta, mozzarella and spinach cannelloni in tomato sauce. You don’t even have to pre-cook the tubes any longer; much easier to stuff when you can stand them on end.

anniezzz09 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:24:40

For many years, mung beans and brown rice was a vegetarian staple in our household. By chance, it's vegan, here's one of many recipes.

www.veganricha.com/2015/08/brown-rice-mung-bean-kitchari-mung-bean-stew.html

We never had a problem bringing up our three as veggie but we cooked lots of different dishes, Rose Elliot was popular then, and we used to say that all must at least taste a mouthful before rejecting. It usually worked.

anniezzz09 Tue 15-Oct-19 19:26:44

Anyone suggesting quorn, be aware that there's a high rate of allergy, about 10%. I am allergic but politely ate a quorn burger at a friend's house and spent the next day with a queasy, nauseous stomach wishing I'd been less polite!