Gransnet forums

Food

Favourite quick recipes - suggestions please

(22 Posts)
SirChenjin Tue 22-Oct-19 21:58:21

Some lovely recipes on that site BradfordLass72 - thank you ?

Wraps are a firm favourite too - he’ll use them or pittas to make his packed lunches

BradfordLass72 Tue 22-Oct-19 21:46:07

My sons used to love 'parcels' long before wraps became popular. We used the rice sheets, square or roud, and they were filled tih whatever vegetable and cooked meat we had handy.
I'm sure, at 12, your son does his own veg prep., so not all on your shoulders. smile

This website and TV show is popular with working Mums in NZ. You can easily substitute local produce for the stuff mentioned.

www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Meal-Ideas/Dinner-Hub-Recipe-Inspiration

SirChenjin Tue 22-Oct-19 21:01:12

That sounds delicious Phoenix and he’ll eat it because he likes smoked salmon as it doesn’t taste of fish confused

Is he practising Callistemon?!

I can’t think what you’re referring to pip wink

grapefruitpip Tue 22-Oct-19 20:48:46

What a lovely discussion, much nicer than you know what.

phoenix Tue 22-Oct-19 20:29:04

Smoked salmon (the off cut packs will work fine!)

Snip them up, put in a bowl with cream (you can do it in the morning and leave it to "steep" in the fridge)

Cooke pasta, any pasta but pref tagliatelle, spaghetti or rigatoni, while it's cooking, gently, very gently, warm cream & smoked salmon mix, black pepper to taste.

Drain pasta, mix with cream/smoked salmon stuff, eat.

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 20:28:34

He's not a teenager yet though shock

SirChenjin Tue 22-Oct-19 20:26:05

Yes I tend to batch cook in the slow cooker and freeze the meals for when we’re all eating together (I’m home from work before DH and DS1 get home do tend to do the ferrying) - but like you often forget to defrost stuff!

Love the reference to Kevin - that character was so funny and very accurate grin

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 20:21:19

I have a slow cooker which I thought was too big - but I can use it to make about 3 or 4 meals for two then freeze some.

You have to remember to take a meal out of the freezer though!

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 20:18:34

They're all work in progress at that age
Just spent a few weeks with Kevin (not his real name grin)

grapefruitpip Tue 22-Oct-19 19:57:54

Quorn is your friend! Can be used straight from the freezer.

SirChenjin Tue 22-Oct-19 19:33:16

Thanks everyone - some great suggestions here! Unfortunately he doesn’t like fish but I could certainly substitute the fish for a chicken breast (I should probably explain he’s 12 and a work in progress rather than a fussy eater of adult age who still needs ferrying around by his mum grin)

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 19:28:59

Jamie Oliver devised some 15 minute meals - mind you, they always took me a bit longer as I'm a bit slower than him at the preparation.

Callistemon Tue 22-Oct-19 19:27:28

Do you both like fish?
It's so quick to cook, if you like potatoes then you can have a jacket potato finished off in the oven with the fish, or boiled new potatoes and some quick veg eg peas or frozen beans (which is what we're having tonight).

The DGD like fish in a sauce with pasta, some peas add colour.

Must go, oven's beeping, that was quick!!

grapefruitpip Tue 22-Oct-19 19:27:14

If you can't face messing about with the slow cooker, you can add tinned soup to meat or veg. It's something hot and tasty and easy.

grapefruitpip Tue 22-Oct-19 19:21:21

A couple of packets of microwave rice, some poached smoked haddock, peas and onion. Quick and easy.

Scoop out the middle of baked potato and mix with cheese and bacon, put back in the oven to crisp up.

KnightApril Tue 22-Oct-19 18:48:59

Maybe salad?
I like Tomato Ricotta salad - greenann.com/recipe/tomato-ricotta-salad/
Tasty and Healthy!)
Ingredients:
3 Plum tomatoes
2 oz Ricotta cheese
0,5 oz Arugula
0,5 oz Basil
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp Balsamic glaze
1 pinch Sea salt
1 pinch Black Pepper
Try)

Madgran77 Thu 17-Oct-19 11:33:41

Steamed chopped vegs ....anything you like fresh - I use mushrooms, red pepper, courgette and leek...., or buy ready packs of frozen. Microwave grains ( lots of different ones available eg cous cous, barley, rice mixes) stirred through vegs with tablespoon of tomato paste and chuck in a few herbs. Top it with eg chopped baked salmon fillets; cubed feta cheese; chopped sausages; fried halloumi cubes; sliced goats cheese; sliced mozzarella; hard boiled eggs; fish goujons from supermarket; scampi; chicken breast fried or baked...endless possibilities really. Easy quick and nice! ?

henetha Thu 17-Oct-19 10:59:52

Stir fry is quick and easy, and has a million variations. I no longer bother chopping endless vegetables but buy ready packs from supermarkets, my favourite being mushroom mix and chinese.
Any left over meat can be chopped and added. And you can add sauces, homemade or bought. Or add noodles.
It's worth investing in a decent wok. Then you have quick meals using almost anything at any time.

SirChenjin Thu 17-Oct-19 09:43:25

Thanks everyone - your suggestions sound lovely and are much appreciated smile

MiniMoon Wed 16-Oct-19 22:40:36

My son likes the Old el Paso dinner kits. They contain spice mix, sauce, and wheat or corn tortillas. All you have to do is cut up chicken or beef and peppers and follow the instructions on the box.
We are having the Enchilada kit tomorrow. I needed something quick as I have a hairdressing appointment at twelve o'clock. I'll throw a salad together to go with it.

paddyann Wed 16-Oct-19 22:00:32

I dont eat chicken but my OH does,he says its chicken a hundred ways here and none that take long.Pan fry chicken breasts add a tin of chopped tomatoes and some finely chopped onion and garlic,tube garlic is fine half a chicken stock cube , herbs of your choice ,wine if its not for young kids ,leave to cook slowly for 15 minutes while you boil (in the bag) rice.You can add veg to the rice once its cooked ,mushroom,onion and peas work well .Sometimes I chuck a few olives in,

Or pan fry the chicken breast add onions garlic and mushrooms to the pan with some stock and simmer finish it with cream ,thicken if needed with an egg yolk.Serve with the pasta that you started the same time as the chicken

SirChenjin Wed 16-Oct-19 21:30:23

I work full time and often have to ferry my son to various activities in the evenings, which leaves little time to prep and cook food from scratch. We’ll often have the usual omelettes/beans on toast/baked potatoes/fresh pasta and sauce type thing but I would like some ideas for quick and easy alternatives that take around 10-15 mins prep please, if anyone has any favourites they could share? I do have a slow cooker but that requires prep the night before or in the morning that I don’t often have - although I do use it when I can.