Gransnet forums

Food

Custard Slices

(10 Posts)
Birdwatcher4 Sat 26-Oct-19 16:28:17

Hi all do any of you have a fail save recipe it’s years since I made them now my granddaughter wants me to show her how ... I know how to make the pastry it’s the custard I have forgotten the amounts for
I always used Birds custard powder and I think just milk and sugar and It would be lovely and thick and yellow but can’t remember the quantities hope someone can help thanks ?

EllanVannin Sat 26-Oct-19 18:22:35

Trial and error.

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 18:24:02

I would add a drop or two of Vanilla to the Birds Custard.

Gonegirl Sat 26-Oct-19 18:26:13

The usual quantities for Birds custard is 2 tabs powder to one pint milk. To make it thick you would need half as much again. Perhaps a bit more.

Like EV says, trial and error.

SpringyChicken Sat 26-Oct-19 18:37:46

The instructions are on the drum/packet to make a pint of custard, follow that and use less milk - maybe 2 fluid ounces less? I agree with Gonegirl to add vanilla essence. I'd also add a little extra sugar.

quick tip - you can weigh the milk.
A pint of milk = 20 fluid oz = 20oz on the scales
18 fluid oz = 18oz on the scales.

Similarly with metric
100ml milk weighs 100g

EllanVannin Sat 26-Oct-19 20:06:29

The best custard slices I ever had were in a patisserie in Rouen.

BradfordLass72 Sun 27-Oct-19 04:08:14

What you need is Crème pâtissière. Plenty of easy recipes online.

I cheat and use bought sheets of butter flaky pastry (I am a good cook but I am death to pastry :-( )

Cut into strips the length and width of your custard slices.
Or you can make it bigger and cut them later but this can be tricky.
Prick the pastry all over and sprinkle with sugar, bake. These will last a couple of day in the fridge if you are not assembling them at once.

Make your Crème pâtissière and allow it to go cold.
Pipe, or just spread it onto a pastry strip, top with another, ice the top.

Variations include jam or fruit one the bottom strip before the Crème pâtissière and chocolate rather than icing on top.

These are a great favourite with my dil and she has requested I make Mille Feuille for Christmas Day dessert.

I think I shall make it with Black Cherries and Kirsch....on the other hand, there's be fresh raspberries available....mmmm, decisions, decisions. grin .

BradfordLass72 Sun 27-Oct-19 04:10:09

BTW. when I say they will last in thw fridge, I mean in an airtight box first.

But as it's winterish in UK you probably don't even need the fridge.

CocoPops Sun 27-Oct-19 05:09:56

What a coincidence. Yesterday I made the filling as Bradfordlass mentions above but used it for chocolate topped choux pastry buns. Time consuming recipe and results devoured by grandchildren at record speed! smile

Birdwatcher4 Thu 31-Oct-19 07:57:45

Thank you all granddaughter followed a recipe on line and they were delicious .