Food

Does ale go off?

(7 Posts)
timetogo2016 Tue 05-Nov-19 13:53:26

Doesn`t have time to goof in my house.
Then again I ignore out of date info.
If it looks ok/smells ok/it is ok.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 05-Nov-19 13:48:22

Can't beat real ale or Guinness or Murphys in puds.

Just topped mine 2 puds up with a little more rum. ?

Rufus2 Tue 05-Nov-19 12:20:13

Beer does go off
Can't say! Aussie beer is always COLD and it doesn't hang around long enough to find out!
Although Spike Milligan once likened it to"cryogenic mouth wash" grin
OoRoo

trisher Tue 05-Nov-19 12:07:48

It is debatable. Beer experts are much like wine experts they get a bit hung up on the taste and so the makers probably chose a date that is very safe. On the other hand it is a long time since May! You are probably safer with a new one. Haven't done mypuds yet. I always use Guiness.

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 11:59:55

Thanks trisher. Off to Waitrose I go. Don't want to spoil the puds.

trisher Tue 05-Nov-19 11:18:35

It may have become a bit "sharp" to drink, but it will probably be OK for cooking. Open it and have a good sniff (and a taste if you don't mind) if it smells or tastes vinegary you will have to dump it. Beer does go off. It's one of the reasons pubs shifted from real ale to kegs, they are easier to keep.

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 11:13:41

This time last year I bought two bottles of a good quality 6.6% Scotch Ale to make my Xmas puds. I used one bottle (well DH finished remains off) last year. The second bottle is still on my sideboard. It does have a Best Before date of end of May 2019 on bottle.

Will this second bottle be ok to use in Xmas puds this year? Or have I got to go out in the rain to buy another bottle? Seems a shame to waste it.

Thank you.