Gransnet forums

Food

Cake question

(7 Posts)
tanith Fri 08-Nov-19 17:20:13

Thank you JackyB

JackyB Fri 08-Nov-19 17:11:09

9" x 9" is 81 sq. in.

So you need 2 tins of about 40 sq. in. each.

If they are circular, and both the same size, as Springy Chicken says, 7" should do it. If they are square, they should be somewhere between 6" and 7".

I found a way of calculating the radius and diameter from the area on this website:

keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1355985793

Cooking is science - baking even more so!

tanith Fri 08-Nov-19 16:29:21

Thank you all that’s really helpful I’m going to make it tomorrow now as I realised I need a lemon and more glacé cherries.

Nonnie Fri 08-Nov-19 16:09:29

Thanks Teetime useful info. I just fill a tin and then guess what size I need for the remaining mixture, No science, just guesswork! Doesn't work well with sponges though

SpringyChicken Fri 08-Nov-19 15:43:24

By my reckoning, two 7 inch round cake tins would be equivalent to a 9 inch square tin and produce cakes of the same height as the square one.

Teetime Fri 08-Nov-19 14:36:37

www.deliaonline.com/information-centre/scaling-up-cake-recipes

this link should help flowers

tanith Fri 08-Nov-19 14:19:33

Hi I’m about to make a Christmas cake, I made this recipe last year and everyone loved it. It made a 9” square cake very rich and full of fruit but this year I’d really prefer to make two smaller cakes using the same amount of ingredients.
Any of you lovely bakers help me with what size tins to use and adjust the cooking times please? It can be any shape tin by the way I don’t mind round, square or oblong.