Gransnet forums

Food

Ready meals

(92 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 19-Nov-19 09:51:11

I have been ill for many weeks (now on the mend) and initially had no appetite. Then my lovely husband, aka The Wonderful Man, who works away during the week, began batch cooking at the weekend and leaving meals for me. Finally, as he was spending too much time cooking, he began to buy me ready meals.

So I've now ranked them in order of preference:
M&S (yummy)
Cook (frozen and delivered by courier - delicious)
Charlie Bingham (from Waitrose, very good)
Waitrose own brand (good)
Lidl/Co-Op (it was a tie - both decent enough)
Waitrose 'value' (no, no, no - not value if they're not nice)

I'm almost ready to start cooking again, but now that I know how good some of these meals are I'll have no hesitation in buying them occasionally rather than our standard take-away of fish and chips.

But now of course I'm wondering what I've missed. Are there favourite ready meals that you buy and, if so, what are they?

Shizam Wed 20-Nov-19 23:42:10

Had charlie Bingham chicken and mushroom pie. Was delicious. Fish pie is good too. Expensive but I’m catering just for me. Not for a hungry family obvs. Ok for me though, eating alone. Which I quite like these days.

Hetty58 Wed 20-Nov-19 20:56:26

I prefer the Cook ready meals. My daughter often gets takeaway Sunday roast from a local pub carvery. It only costs £18 for a family of five!

There are so many options now to have food delivered, like JustEat, Deliveroo, Ubereats, Foodhub, onedelivery etc. that we're spoilt for choice!

kwest Wed 20-Nov-19 20:43:59

Has anyone tried Slimming World ready meals from Iceland.? I don't know anyone who has.
When we were doing some building work at home when we moved here, some years ago, we had few kitchen facilities so I used to go to M&S and buy a week's ready meals at a time.
Perfectly acceptable although not as good as proper food cooked from scratch. My husband however made me promise that we would never buy our meals in cardboard boxes ever again once our kitchen was up and running.
I very occasionally do if I am going out and he has to look after himself. Now we are older I might re-visit ready meals but I wonder if they are good value for money?

trendygran Wed 20-Nov-19 20:36:08

I buy ready meals to have if I don’t feel like cooking for one..The best curry is from Waitrose.Some good meals from the Coop and a favourite now is a prawn and pasta meal from Sainsburys.,I do cook from scratch as well,but the ready meals make an easy option sometimes.

Magicmaggie Wed 20-Nov-19 18:01:00

I would recommend the new range of Gino D’Campo
meals in Iceland.
‘Just like his nonna used to make.
We’ve had his pizza’s and his canaloni but the best is his
Tirimsou.
They really taste authentic and absolutely delish.

Aepgirl Wed 20-Nov-19 17:49:39

On the odd occasion I think of having a ready-meal, I’m always disappointed.

TerriBull Wed 20-Nov-19 16:57:58

My husband reckons he cooks on Saturdays, relieving me of kitchen duties when he bungs two M&S Chicken Sags in the microwave and boils some Basmati rice, the latter constitutes cooking apparently hmm He does wait on me though bringing my plate through whilst I'm watching Strictly together with a glass of wine so mustn't grumble!

Susan56 Wed 20-Nov-19 16:55:04

My go to ready meal is Sainsbury’s vegetable biryani?Haven’t had one for a while,think I may have to go and buy a couple tomorrow!

Gonegirl Wed 20-Nov-19 16:07:12

That is a rogue question mark in my post. No idea how it got there.

Gonegirl Wed 20-Nov-19 16:06:28

Good idea bruff. Enjoy your ready meals (and your wife)?[smile

Labaik Wed 20-Nov-19 16:06:26

Love M&S curries....

bruff Wed 20-Nov-19 16:02:04

As a bloke who’s DOH is now bed bound l do the cooking and everything else for that matter and I can say how all you ladies as my wife did put such lovely meals together every day is amazing. But what I’ve have done is order meals of all types from Wiltshire farm foods just to give me a break and pop them in the microwave job done and no washing up either

annsixty Wed 20-Nov-19 15:14:48

I am already getting pop up ads for Cook food.
Big brother is certainly watching us.

Yehbutnobut Wed 20-Nov-19 15:06:30

After reading this thread I found we had a COOK shop a couple of miles away so just popped in and bought three frozen ready meals. I’ll see if I like them.

Sheilasue Wed 20-Nov-19 14:51:40

Always enjoy M&S when I came out of hospital my dd had been buying the for dh, so I had some to until I was well enough to cook again. My dh did do some cooking but it was a bit drastic me telling what to do etc.. was hard work.
Wiltshire foods look nice, has anybody tried them, please let me know.

Fernbergien Wed 20-Nov-19 14:04:31

Have had moussakas from Morrisons, Tesco and M&S . All very good. The Cook one was not that good. Had something from Waitrose that was terrible.

DanniRae Wed 20-Nov-19 13:51:43

I love WeightWatcher's "Lemon and Chicken Rissotto" and Linda McCartney's Mince 'Beef' pies.
We also enjoy M&S chicken fillets in breadcrumbs - there are lots of different flavours.

grannygranby Wed 20-Nov-19 13:30:24

the waitrose own Tofu Red Thai is really delish. always running out. One day perhaps the ubiquitous chicken won't be used for everything and we can end some of the cruelty.

aonk Wed 20-Nov-19 13:13:23

We have an occasional ready meal when short of time. I generally prefer the ones from M and S. We’re not keen on takeaways but often have a ready meal instead on a Saturday. I really recommend chicken tikka masala from Sainsbury’s. Much tastier than M and S. We buy the pilau rice, naan bread and sweet potato bhajis to accompany it. Easy to heat up. I do it in the oven. Delicious!

Yehbutnobut Wed 20-Nov-19 12:56:42

Quite happy to buy good quality ReadyMeals and supplement them with extra veg.

ReadyMeals Wed 20-Nov-19 12:38:00

Did you start this thread specially for me? We have ready meals 5 times a week, I cook on Sunday and we have a Deliveroo on Saturday. The other days my husband can often be late from work so during the week I have one ready meal that I fancy, because I like to eat early, and chooses one from the fridge or freezer when he gets back. Typical are those meal tubs like Bol and freezer meals like curry and rice or pasta bake.

Margs Wed 20-Nov-19 11:42:50

Holland's Potato & Meat Pies closely followed by M&S ready meals. But I can't touch ready meals purveyed by a certain supermarket (owned by WallMart I believe) because their ready stuff is just tasteless mush.

pamdixon Wed 20-Nov-19 11:33:40

Charlie Bingham fish pie really good -though not cheap.
I'm addicted to Sainsbury's cottage pie - in the low calorie range. I lived off it when I had broken my arm and couldn't cook. You just bung it in the microwave. Its really tasty.

25Avalon Wed 20-Nov-19 11:30:34

We love the Cook range. It is excellent quality with good ingredients and well worth keeping in the freezer for those occasions you don't feel like cooking. Their Coq au Vin is as good as any restaurant if you fancy having a special meal in and although it may seem expensive for a ready meal is cheaper than eating out.
Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Babs758 Wed 20-Nov-19 11:29:12

Moo pies, Binghams are excellent and also M &S curries although I usually add more chili.

When eating out at an Indian I often take half my food home and freeze it for eating with a few weeks. I am losing weight slowly and this helps!