Gransnet forums

Food

Ideas for food for Election day

(18 Posts)
Loobs Fri 06-Dec-19 17:33:07

Don't worry, I am not trying to start a trend for special meals on election day, I simply need suggestions because I will be working at a polling station. I am there from 6 am to 10 pm - and I am not allowed to leave between those hours. As you may know, polling stations can be based anywhere, from pubs to schools to huts. The station I will be at has no catering facility, not even a microwave. There is a water boiler of some sort (for tea and coffee) and that's it. So I need suggestions for food - breakfast, lunch and 'dinner' - things that I can eat which don't need heating up. I will take a flask of homemade soup but really don't want to have sandwiches all day. The room will be heated but as the doors are left open it may be chilly nevertheless - first time for me so not too sure what to expect - any suggestions??

SueDonim Fri 06-Dec-19 17:42:37

What about one those individual pots of porridge for breakfast? You just add hot water. I’ve tried a few and IMO, Quaker’s are the best. We use them when on holiday as a cooked breakfast is wasted on me.

Also finger foods for lunch and maybe a salad for dinner? Do you have anyone who could bring you some hot food or can you get a meal delivered or a pizza? I don’t know if the rules allow that. Lots of nibbles, too!

Curlywhirly Fri 06-Dec-19 17:58:08

Have worked in Local Giverment

Curlywhirly Fri 06-Dec-19 17:58:32

Sorry, pressed post by mistake.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Dec-19 18:01:10

Nuts. Mixed - filling and healthy.

Curlywhirly Fri 06-Dec-19 18:03:12

Was going to say I worked in Local Government and worked on many elections. There are no strict rules regarding delivery of food - sure you would be fine to get a pizza delivery. Or, try and get a friend/family member to bring sonething. I once worked at a church hall that was next to a pub, we put our order in for a meal and they kindly delivered it!

Calendargirl Fri 06-Dec-19 18:42:48

I, too, will be working at a polling station on Election Day, but the hall has a microwave and oven. Can you buy one of those large top flasks to take some stew or suchlike in?
Have done elections before, but not in December, agree we will need a bit of hot food as opposed to the salads which are great in the summer.

Granny23 Fri 06-Dec-19 18:56:27

There is bound to be a plug socket somewhere, so you could take a toaster or toasted sandwich maker with you.

Granny23 Fri 06-Dec-19 18:59:57

If the place has no cooking facilities better remember to take some cutlery. grin

Nico97 Fri 06-Dec-19 19:00:52

Either order in from the nearest takeaway or take with you pot noodles, pot pasta, porridge pots and sandwiches, crisps and biscuits. Some chopped fruit in a tub is always refreshing too. I've done lots of polling duty and never found food supply a problem 😀

Ilovecheese Fri 06-Dec-19 19:36:20

And don't forget layers of clothing in case the heating is not turned on and the doors are wide open.

kittylester Fri 06-Dec-19 19:50:19

But what do we eat if we want to stay up during the night to see results?

Barmeyoldbat Fri 06-Dec-19 19:52:08

Could you take a slow cooker to do a hot meal? They must have electric plugs. Or a sandwich maker.

MawB Fri 06-Dec-19 20:01:15

Humble pie?

Tangerine Fri 06-Dec-19 20:15:30

Assuming you are allowed to do so, I'd take a microwave oven in and heat up a ready meal at lunchtime.

If you get a lunch-hour, could a friend perhaps bring in fish and chips for you?

Hard boiled eggs can be a good and filling snack.

mumofmadboys Fri 06-Dec-19 20:40:29

To take a microwave with you seems way OTT!

Tangerine Fri 06-Dec-19 20:41:51

Sorry mumofmadboys - I was only trying to give a helpful suggestion.

Loobs Sat 07-Dec-19 07:15:58

Some great ideas - I never even considered ordering stuff to be delivered!! Well it looks like I won't starve - thanks for all the suggestions.