Gransnet forums

Food

Anyone want to be on 'Bake Off 2020'?

(33 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 08-Dec-19 08:12:42

I found a full page advertisement in 'The Oldie' appealing for entrants. I was glad about that as there were too many youngsters this year.
Anyway FYI online applications to:
www.applyforbakeoff.co.uk
Deadline for applications is 20th January. Go on. Somebody from GN should be on it!

craftyone Thu 19-Dec-19 09:18:00

no chance, after 45 years of non stop baking for a family and prior to that starting at age 9, no way on earth. I deserve my well earned retirement from baking and am now a minimalistic baker, only doing what I have to do or what I fancy for myself.

MamaCaz Sun 08-Dec-19 16:36:29

Absolutely no way!

The only show of this kind that I would even remotely have considered going on (in my wildest dreams and after a few too many drinks) would have been the Big Allotment Challenge. grin

IMO, Bake-off has changed too much, with contestants now being selected more for their personality than their baking skills, and the challenges no longer - or only rarely- involving baking skills that the average home baker can really relate to.

Mebster Sun 08-Dec-19 16:15:20

I love to watch but the time pressure to turn out perfect looking bakes would not be my thing at all!

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 16:12:38

The Christmas cakes look ok but the proof of the cake will be in the eating as they say (nearly).

But the decoration will probably look terrible, not up to Bake Off's ridiculous standards at all.

Greciangirl Sun 08-Dec-19 16:11:34

On the one hand we are being encouraged to eat more healthily, and on the other hand we are being encouraged to bake and eat loads of sugary cakes.

I very rarely eat cakes, so no, I won’t be applying or watching the programme. I think they should give it a rest.

Jane10 Sun 08-Dec-19 16:09:21

Calistemon- thanks for the suggestion but M&S do my baking. I wouldn't dare try to make so much as a scone.
I enjoy the programme though. I like Pru, love Sandi and Noel but Paul? Meh. Mind you there has to be a sort of 'bad guy' persona so he does have a role. (Note to autocorrect NOT roll!)

winifred01 Sun 08-Dec-19 14:00:53

On holiday a couple of weeks ago, found myself in a jacuzzi with Paul Hollywood ( and his bikini clad partner) The bread at breakfast was delicious- think they must have got him up early!

merlotgran Sun 08-Dec-19 13:22:02

Oh go on! It would be so good if it was someone sensible from GN on it

That rules me out then!

And a few others I could mention. grin

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 13:12:53

Well I don't have long hair or a beard so perhaps I should consider it TanaMa

On second thoughts, if anyone saw the mess in my kitchen this morning and my state of anxiety (continuing) because I decided to make Christmas cakes (late, yes, I know), they wouldn't encourage me to apply.

I think you should do it Jane10 tchgrin

Millie22 Sun 08-Dec-19 12:34:22

No absolutely not as I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Paul Hollywood.

henetha Sun 08-Dec-19 12:29:55

Not likely! I'd be terrible in every way. I still enjoy watching it though.

Davida1968 Sun 08-Dec-19 12:19:10

No, no, never!

Susieq62 Sun 08-Dec-19 12:19:09

If you had seen my Yorkshire pudding yesterday you would realise there is no way I would put myself through this. Anyway, it went to channel 4 , enough said!!

Patticake123 Sun 08-Dec-19 12:11:15

I can bake and make my own breads but the thought of being in the same room as Paul Hollywood would make my heart sink and most likely my cakes as well. Personally I think the programme has had its day.

whywhywhy Sun 08-Dec-19 12:06:17

No no never! I will be washing my hair that day!!!!!!!! Anyway, I would be on the front page of the newspapers for smacking that smug B face of Paul Hollywood! Bashing the heads together of Sandy and Noel then shoving a fork up Prue's nose. There! I dont think they want to see that on TV do they??

Lupin Sun 08-Dec-19 12:02:10

No way. I might be good entertainment value with my disasters. My family tease me because of the cries of "Oh No!" coming from the kitchen when I embark on a baking session.
I loved Junior Bake Off this year. It was a joy.

Aepgirl Sun 08-Dec-19 11:40:43

There was a time, in the early days of Bake Off, that I used to bake some of the goodies. However, now most of them are accomplished bakers, I wouldn’t even try to. Also, who really wants to bake some of the outlandish cakes, etc?

Anyway, I would hate to get a sweaty handshake from PH.

annygee Sun 08-Dec-19 11:04:06

Bake-off: I did apply because friends thought that I would be there with a good chance. So I provided pics of previous baking results, background - particularly mentioned ‘fusion baking’ because of non-English first part of my life but happily adapted to most of my host-country. Spent hours completing the application.... but did not even get an acknowledgment. So that was it for me.... and I would tell everyone... till they have the courtesy to respond - even though it will be negative - no, don’t waste your time!

ayokunmi1 Sun 08-Dec-19 10:36:02

Trisher apply please

TanaMa Sun 08-Dec-19 10:34:05

Sorry - hovering over

TanaMa Sun 08-Dec-19 10:33:29

Can't even watch the programme or any other to do with cooking, the sight of long hair and beards havering iver the food turns my stomach. Ugh!

Magrithea Sun 08-Dec-19 10:25:45

they are canvassing WI members too!

I can't imagine why anyone would put themselves through that stress!

Callistemon Sun 08-Dec-19 10:06:32

trisher
Please apply!

Jane10 Sun 08-Dec-19 10:03:34

Oh go on! It would be so good if it was someone sensible from GN on it.

trisher Sun 08-Dec-19 09:57:39

Only if I can punch Paul Hollywood in the first programme!!!