Gransnet forums

Food

Chicken and apricot recipes

(13 Posts)
mumofmadboys Wed 11-Dec-19 16:41:37

Has anyone got a good recipe for this please preferably so I can cook it in a slow cooker?

Grannyknot Wed 11-Dec-19 17:31:56

MOMB I don't have a recipe but it sounded interesting so I Googled "slow cooker chicken and apricot recipe" and loads came up. I liked the look of this one:

www.dinneratthezoo.com/slow-cooker-apricot-chicken/

smile

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Dec-19 17:36:34

A Moroccan one I should think, although I usually make it with lamb but see no reason why you couldn’t use chicken

Grannyknot Wed 11-Dec-19 17:45:38

I just realised the recipe link I posted is with apricot jam. I smear a mixture of fruit chutney and mayonnaise over the top of chicken thighs or even a roast chicken breast, for flavour.

Gordon Ramsay has a fab recipe for "Sticky Chicken" made with honey, soy sauce and lemons. I make that one often, it is divine:

www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/a500240/gordon-ramsay-s-sticky-lemon-chicken/

I use more lemon (double) than he says, and I cook it for longer (depending on how chunky the thighs are).

lemongrove Wed 11-Dec-19 17:46:09

I make Coronation Chicken with added apricots.

mumofmadboys Wed 11-Dec-19 18:00:22

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will have a look at them all. I need a good fail proof recipe to feed our 6 neighbours this weekend!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Dec-19 18:06:19

I suppose you could roast the chicken with a stuffing using apricots. Quite nice.

Fennel Wed 11-Dec-19 19:07:19

I don't often roast chicken now, but when I do I sometimes make 'stuffing balls' and put them in with the chicken in the last hour or so.
Chop finely bread remains, a small onion. Add soaked dried apricots, a few raisins. Add a whisked egg and a little veg. oil. and form into balls the size of golf balls
Then roast alongside the chicken for the last hour.

Fennel Wed 11-Dec-19 19:15:29

ps @ mumofmadboys*
Re-reading your OP
In a slow cooker, I don't think this would work. It's hot oven recipe.
I wouldn't cook chicken in a slow cooker.
ps like Grannyknot when I can be bothered I add some grated lemon rind, and some thyme to the mix.

MiniMoon Wed 11-Dec-19 19:50:56

This chicken tagine sounds lovely.
I want to make it now!
www.food.com/recipe/easy-crock-pot-moroccan-chicken-chickpea-and-apricot-tagine-137530

mumofmadboys Wed 11-Dec-19 23:55:26

The morrocan recipe looks lovely. Thank you all for your input

mumofmadboys Sat 14-Dec-19 13:09:35

I have got the above recipe cooking away in the slow cooker. Will let you know if it tastes good. Have 9 for a meal tonight so I'm being quite brave ( or foolish!) trying a new recipe. Thanks minimoon

mumofmadboys Sun 15-Dec-19 08:44:54

The Morrocan chicken was delicious. I would recommend it and very easy with slow cooker.