Gransnet forums

Food

Boiled onion..yum yum!

(29 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Thu 19-Dec-19 14:39:00

Just had a boiled onion with a little salt and butter and a good amount of black pepper for lunch.

Not something I’ve had in...perhaps 20 years, but it was delicious. Filing, low carb and yummy.

#justsaying

Alishka Sat 21-Dec-19 18:05:28

What a fab idea! I'm thinking a large white onion, cored, middle chopped with sage and thyme,few breadcrumbs, topped with grated cheese, and baked.
As savoury christmas puddings go, can't get much better than this!
I have a scheduled Morries visit on Thursday, shall be on the hunt for the Perfect Onion!
Thanks, OPsmile

MotherHubbard Fri 20-Dec-19 10:19:27

Boiled onion sprinkled with sage and popped in oven for a while is a lovely alternative to sage and onion stuffing.

GagaJo Fri 20-Dec-19 08:27:21

Mmmm, that DOES sound good!

Alexa Fri 20-Dec-19 08:23:45

Good idea! I think boiled onion with rich white sauce, and mashed roots..

GagaJo Fri 20-Dec-19 08:18:28

I love boiled onions as a side dish. Maybe with a roast or with something with beef in it. It wouldn't occur to me to eat them as a meal, although now its been suggested, I probably would.

I love onions in any form. If I'm roasting a chicken I quarter onions and put them around it. Delicious with the added chicken flavour.

annep1 Fri 20-Dec-19 06:07:40

My mum used to boil onions on Saturday night when I was allowed to stay up late as I was the oldest and give me some with a thick slice of bread and butter. Such a treat.

BradfordLass72 Fri 20-Dec-19 05:48:54

I frequently have just one vegetable for my lunch.
Sometimes carrots, or cauli or broc. Today was cauliflower with white sauce.
Never tried a boiled onion by itself but often put a whole one inside a chicken prior to roasting and eat that with the meat.

Yehbutnobut Fri 20-Dec-19 05:24:46

Good heavens! What on earth do people eat for lunch? I just have a little snack, like this onion.

Nobody’s suggesting it’s a main meal

MissAdventure Thu 19-Dec-19 18:02:57

I've never had a boiled onion, but it sounds alright to me.
I think I could eat one.

GagaJo Thu 19-Dec-19 18:00:38

I love boiled onions. As a side dish however, not the main event.

Fennel Thu 19-Dec-19 17:57:05

Yesbut I see your point - onions are probably my favourite veg. But as a main meal - stewed slowly in the oven in olive oil, s&p and red wine. Plenty of bread to mop up the juices.
There are so many different kinds of onions.

Urmstongran Thu 19-Dec-19 17:49:03

Oh no‼️ Now if you’d chopped it up after boiling, put it with some grated cheese in a pastry case with a dab of mustard to make a cheese & onion pie .... I’m your woman.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 19-Dec-19 16:48:23

Oh yes, yum yum. Thank you, you've reminded me that I haven't had a boiled onion for ages. It used to be a regular when I was a child, and my DM sometimes put white sauce with them, which was good too.

shysal Thu 19-Dec-19 16:27:56

I hate to be critical, but as vegetables go, onions are not particularly low in carbs smile. Glad you enjoyed it, that is what matters.
I would prefer to make a soup from cauliflower or mushrooms with just a few chopped onions, for a satisfying lunch.

Yehbutnobut Thu 19-Dec-19 16:20:01

It was lunch ...you don’t need huge amounts of protein at every meal. So unless lunch is your main meal if the day then I don’t see the problem.

You need fibre and vitamins and minerals too, all of which are in onions. But this wasn’t supposed to be anything except a lighthearted thread and a light meal.

#wandersofftutting.

Esspee Thu 19-Dec-19 15:50:33

Sounds lovely, but as a side dish. We need protein. (and no matter how large the onion it would not fill me up.

Yehbutnobut Thu 19-Dec-19 15:50:32

Boiled two as him indoors wanted feeding. I’d say 30 minutes but test with fork in middle that it’s soft. Like you would with potatoes.

Yehbutnobut Thu 19-Dec-19 15:49:09

Blimey...am I ‘on trend’ then?

wanders off with smug ‘I’m trendy’ look

Pudding123 Thu 19-Dec-19 15:47:55

Yehbutnobut,I have never heard of this before but as I am very interested in all manner of cooking must ask do you just boil one and how long for?

Greeneyedgirl Thu 19-Dec-19 15:45:38

One of the contestants did a boiled onion thing, but tarted up with other fancy bits, on Masterchef the other night.
It's obviously "on trend" together with burnt charred veg which seems to be all the rage just now.

Yehbutnobut Thu 19-Dec-19 15:43:24

Lunch yes Charley very filling. Could not manage two?

No onion smell as it’s been boiled soda

Possibly a northern or Scottish thing?

Teetime Thu 19-Dec-19 15:42:49

Oh. Eurgh.

Charleygirl5 Thu 19-Dec-19 15:40:57

OMG- is that a meal?

ayse Thu 19-Dec-19 15:40:55

Yum, too!

sodapop Thu 19-Dec-19 15:38:50

That sounds great to me yehbutnobut I love onions and can eat them cooked any which way. Not always a sociable food though.