Gransnet forums

Food

New recipes, new stress!

(10 Posts)
kittylester Wed 08-Jan-20 09:42:50

I used to sprinkle aubergines with salt to remove the bitterness and then rinse and dry them. A flipping fag!

Unnecessary now.

Resurgam123 Wed 08-Jan-20 09:39:31

As I thought my book has said soaking to remove 'the bitterness' from the aubergines are now better varieties and do not need soaking.
Try it .

Hetty58 Wed 08-Jan-20 09:36:36

It's well worth trying out any new, experimental recipes at a less frantic time. We seem to put ourselves under pressure to make Christmas 'the best ever' when really, keeping things simple is what's needed. It's a day to enjoy!

Resurgam123 Wed 08-Jan-20 09:31:52

I made the GN Aubergine parmigiana. A few days ago and it was really lovely.
I used Aldi Feta cheese which I find has more flavour than Mozzarella. It was very good. The basil leaves in the sauce really made it .
I find it odd to soak the Aubergine slices. I have tried using that and without and it is better just without the soaking the slices.
I think I heard somewhere it is not necessary.
Certainly I think the Italians will have to put up with me not using Mozzarello cheese.
It is worth trying.

morethan2 Wed 01-Jan-20 17:30:14

Thanks for this thread, mumofmadboys nudged me into trying Mary berry’s warming beef stew. I served it up today for 7 and it was a triumph. It’s set to become a firm winter favourite.

mumofmadboys Sat 28-Dec-19 19:39:55

Yes I did Urmonston. They were lovely. Crisp pastry. Did star tops too so it cuts down on pastry to filling ratio! Thanks for your recipe.

Urmstongran Sat 28-Dec-19 18:53:31

Did you get to try the different pastry with lemon zest & almonds for your mince pies momb?

mumofmadboys Sat 28-Dec-19 18:42:07

I have done several new recipes in the last week and have been really pleased with them. One was recommended on GN -Mary Berry's warming beef stew. Yummy! Thank you whoever recommended it.

SueDonim Sat 28-Dec-19 16:07:57

It’s not mandatory to use new recipes! If you like what you already do, stick with it. tchsmile

dahlia Sat 28-Dec-19 15:56:17

Every year, the magazine and papers come up with dozens of new recipes to make Christmas every more delicious. But I have found Christmas is exactly the time you need to use tried and tested meals, not something different. When I have used a new recipe, even for a nut roast, at Christmas it has never been as good as my old favourite. Perhaps the editors could give us a rest next year!