Gransnet forums

Food

Carrots.

(8 Posts)
MiniMoon Sun 29-Dec-19 13:37:15

Why do supermarket carrots have no flavour?

I made a stew for lunch and to the meat I added onion, celery and a large carrot.
This carrot was given to me in a large bag by my sister in law, they are still covered in soil. They are grow on a farm locally, and sold in a food hall.
What a lovely change from the clean, uniform carrots from the supermarket!
These ones actually taste of carrot whereas the supermarket varieties are tasteless.

Why is that? Surely all carrots should taste the same, regardless of where they are grown/bought.

AdaminanAppleVan Sun 29-Dec-19 13:52:50

Supermarket suppliers select the type of carrot (and lots of other vegetables, salads and fruits) based on various factors including yield, weather, pest and disease resistance as well as maturing at certain times for consistent harvesting, uniformity of product, etc. Taste/flavour comes way down the list.

People want cheap produce all year round so something’s got to give I suppose.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 29-Dec-19 13:54:51

We buy ours in a food market on a Sunday in Cardiff from Polish Paul and they are wonderful.

Chestnut Sun 29-Dec-19 14:43:53

Most supermarket vegetables seem watery and tasteless due to being mass produced and grown indoors I suppose. We used to eat fruit and vegetables that were in season which meant limited choice but more tasty food. If you can grow any of your own you will find them much nicer, or as others have said use a greengrocer or farmers' market where the quality is better.

SueDonim Sun 29-Dec-19 15:31:42

Organic carrots tend to be tastier. I don’t buy all organic foods but I do like organic eggs, milk and carrots.

MiniMoon Sun 29-Dec-19 16:02:39

We buy our eggs from a local supplier. They are very large and almost all have double yolks.
I'm now going to try to find my vegetables at farmer's markets, or perhaps make the journey to the food hall where my SiL shops. It is 20 miles from here, but there is a good car park.
It would be worth the journey to get tasty vegetables.

shysal Sun 29-Dec-19 16:22:25

I find that Supermarket Chantenay carrots have more flavour than the normal larger ones.

phoenix Sun 29-Dec-19 16:48:27

Different varieties of carrots will have different flavours just as apples do, and potatoes.

You wouldn't expect a Golden Delicious to taste the same as a Granny Smith, any more than you would expect a King Edward to taste the same as a Jersey Royal!