Gransnet forums

Food

Left over Christmas cake

(20 Posts)
curvygran950 Tue 07-Jan-20 17:30:58

I have half a large homemade ( by me!) marzipanned and iced Christmas cake left over . Can it be frozen ? Any suggestions as to other uses- apart from eating it - very welcome !

helenrowena Tue 07-Jan-20 17:32:32

Mix the fruit part (not the icing) with vanilla icecream, its nice !!

EllaKeat Tue 07-Jan-20 17:34:02

Make christmas cake ice cream - delicious, slice it, warm slightly and eat with cheese for a lovely treat.
Make a bread and butter pudding, substituting cake for bread.

I have dozens of uses for left over Christmas cake, but never have any ?

EllaKeat Tue 07-Jan-20 17:35:28

Oh, and yes, it freezes wonderfully. Slice into portions, open freeze then pack away.
But to be fair, it does last for months (or at least mine pickled in brandy does)?

curvygran950 Tue 07-Jan-20 17:42:36

I once read that one should pour washing up liquid over any remaining cake/ pudding and put it in the bin !
Good for the figure and willpower I suppose .......

SirChenjin Tue 07-Jan-20 18:24:31

That’s a waste of good food! Freeze and use next year.

ginny Tue 07-Jan-20 18:25:46

Yep, cut and freeze.

grumppa Tue 07-Jan-20 18:30:39

How is it possible for there to be any Christmad cake left over?

grumppa Tue 07-Jan-20 18:31:19

ChristmaS! Mind you, the d is quite expressive.

BBbevan Tue 07-Jan-20 18:36:34

A friend of my parents' used to take the marzipan and icing off their cake . Then they fried slices for breakfast !!

curvygran950 Tue 07-Jan-20 18:45:12

Too many visitors on diets ! And over -catering by me, as usual .

Cabbie21 Tue 07-Jan-20 18:47:42

I don’t make one now, but I used to make my home made cake last a month. It had to be eaten by 24 January. It was never a problem, kept fresh enough, but guess who ate most of it?

phoenix Tue 07-Jan-20 18:54:57

As it's only me that likes it, we are a Christmas cake free zone sad

Although even when with exdh, I never wanted any Christmas cake over Christmas, but come this sort of time, I really could fancy a bit with a cup of coffee around about 10.30am!

Next year, I will buy myself one of those small(ish) bar ones, that can be sliced like a loaf, with marzipan and icing only on the top. smile

M0nica Tue 07-Jan-20 19:11:24

If there is plenty of brandy in the cake, it will keep for months in a tin. Not that I have much opportunity to experiment, DS takes half the cake home with him as he is the only one in his family that likes it. DH and I have usually consumed the second half by mid-January.

Desdemona Tue 07-Jan-20 19:22:01

Wrap well, freeze and get it back out in December.

NfkDumpling Tue 07-Jan-20 19:54:15

The recipe I have is an old one from MiL which makes a large cake (or two smaller ones) and involves a bit of booze (this year I added rum for a change). It apparently doesn't go 'off' if tinned up. It's never lasted that long, but this year we still have half left as none of the Offspring like fruit cake and we had loads of other cakes. It may last until February!

vampirequeen Tue 07-Jan-20 21:29:59

Sorry I don't know the answer but then I'm still reeling at the idea of leftover Christmas cake lol.

SueDonim Tue 07-Jan-20 21:45:38

Just keep it well-wrapped in greaseproof and foil in a container. I’ve never frozen Xmas cake and never had any go off,

I’ve just posted half of mine to my son in London. It didn’t get eaten at Xmas and it’s too much for two of us and he’ll be v grateful to have some home comfort.

Callistemon Tue 07-Jan-20 22:33:53

grumppa I was about to ask the same thing!

You could freeze in manageable portions but it will keep well without freezing

lucywinter Tue 07-Jan-20 22:43:26

Cut it into small pieces and have one piece a day with your coffee. Wish I still had some left.

It'll still fatten you if you make puddings out of it.