Gransnet forums

Food

Rose Hip Syrup (Home Made)

(5 Posts)
chaffinch Tue 14-Jan-20 15:30:25

Good advice thank you gtJE65

grandtanteJE65 Tue 14-Jan-20 14:54:09

I have never made rose hip syrup, but have made lots of jam and red currant juice.

It is said to be dangerous to eat anything that has grown mould, but in my family we always removed the mould and boiled the juice or jam up, then put it in clean sterilised bottles or jars.

If you reduce the sugar content when making preserves, it is best either to use a suitable amount of a chemical preservative or add a little vinegar.

Alternatively you could try using the original recipe next summer and adding the juice of a couple of lemons. Lemon juice will counteract the sweetness and help to preserve the juice.

If the lids on the bottles weren't screwed on tight air will have got in, which causes mould. If the place you store the bottles in is slightly damp that can cause mould too.

chaffinch Tue 14-Jan-20 14:52:27

grannylyn65

The last bottle tasted mouldy though,(we still used it, but ugh! and DH won’t try any more if it’s the same) but will test another bottle after discarding the mouldy blob on the top. Believe me, we don’t like wasting anything.
Having said that, I didn’t realise it was mouldy until we had started using it.

grannylyn65 Tue 14-Jan-20 14:35:24

Scrape it off

chaffinch Tue 14-Jan-20 14:27:08

Advice please.

Have made rose hip syrup for the last two years. First time, very good but rather too sweet.
So last year (November) tried reducing the sugar, bearing in mind that the sugar is what preserves it I think.
The resulting syrup was runnier, even after extra boiling, but seemed ok.
We pour it on plain yogurt by the way.
We’ve used a few bottles, but was disappointed to see that some of the remaining ones have gone a bit mouldy at the top.
Some still seem fine, I made two batches but not sure which are which, as DH mixed them up!
Any ideas what went wrong?
The bottles were sterilised before use.
I suppose there is no way I can resurrect the ones with mould?
??????