Gransnet forums

Food

Making Kefir

(16 Posts)
NotAGran55 Wed 15-Jan-20 21:13:40

Does anyone make their own ? I love it and might give it a go .
Any hints and tips greatly appreciated.

SueDonim Wed 15-Jan-20 21:33:22

I’d be interested, too, Notagran55. I make my own yogurt and would like to try kefir. smile

Drum1234 Wed 15-Jan-20 22:32:34

I make it, it's very, very simple. Just follow the instructions you get with the grains. It has a much sharper taste than the kefir you buy in the shops, but you get used to it. I wouldn't want to drink it straight, but it's great with mixed nuts, seeds and fruit for breakfast. Haven't tried anything else with it yet. Oh, and once the grains start multiplying, they grow very quickly!

Salmo Wed 15-Jan-20 22:38:18

I make kefir using dried granules bought via Amazon - there are several suppliers. Similar process to yoghurt. I bring milk to boil, cool to blood heat mix in granules and leave overnight in a warmish place. Reserve a spoonful to start the next batch. It tends to be a bit runnier than yoghurt, particularly the first batch. Some people strain it to thicken, but I don't.

Hetty58 Wed 15-Jan-20 22:46:00

Salmo, I have no idea what you are making. It sounds like yoghurt to me. There's no need to warm the milk.

I make kefir (but for family, not me). The 'grains' are soft, a bit like a spoonful of cottage cheese. They should have instructions with them. All you do is mix them with cold milk and leave for a day. Strain and reuse the grains for the next batch. Keep the kefir for another day in the fridge for a better, less sour flavour. I'm told it's like dilute Greek yoghurt.

Callistemon Wed 15-Jan-20 23:14:09

DD makes it, she doesn't drink milk so I think uses coconut milk.

NotSpaghetti Thu 16-Jan-20 00:46:50

I have made kefir since roughly 1978 - with a gap of a few years.
It doesn't need to be sharp, it entirely depends on how you treat it.
I have too many grains at the moment! Mine is a milk kefir. You pour the milk on the "plant" and the next day sieve off the kefir. I dilute mine with milk after this and it will further ferment to the texture of a milkshake, thick and creamy.

Buffybee Thu 16-Jan-20 01:44:42

You can buy the live starter for about five pounds online and as Hetty58 said, mix into cold milk, cover with a cloth and stand somewhere warm for 24hours, then strain and reuse the live 'seeds'
for your next batch.
It's a sharp taste but I just drink it and as someone mentioned, you do soon become overrun with the starter 'seeds' but I just eat them, like cottage cheese.

Farmor15 Thu 16-Jan-20 02:00:52

I’ve kept a culture going for years and passed on to other people. Like a few others said, there’s no need to boil milk or keep warm to ferment- room temperature will do. After I strain off the grains in a sieve, I rinse under tap before putting in clean screw topped jar and adding milk. After about 24 hours, if I don’t want to use immediately, I put the jar in the fridge. It will keep for weeks like that- seems less likely to go off if kept with grains.

I don’t drink it- never really liked taste- but use instead of buttermilk for making scones and brown soda bread.

Pantglas2 Thu 16-Jan-20 05:51:13

I’m a recent convert to kefir - a friend gave me grains and instructions to cover with milk, leave in warm place for a day then strain through plastic sieve using wooden/plastic spoon. Apparently having metal anywhere near it will kill the culture.

I actually drink a small glass on an empty stomach each morning and yes it is very sour compared to shop bought but I do feel it’s doing me some good!

SueDonim Thu 16-Jan-20 10:08:05

How long do the grains keep if you don’t want to continually make kefir?

Farmor15 Thu 16-Jan-20 10:18:28

Pantglas - metal, eg stainless steel teaspoon and metal sieve definitely doesn’t kill culture as I’ve kept mine going at least 15 years.

SueDonim - I’ve sometimes left my culture for a month or so in fridge before straining off and replacing milk. At that stage it might look a bit “off” so I discard the old curd and rinse the grains well before adding fresh milk. If not used for a while, it may take longer to ferment, so I’ll give it a shake and leave for another day before straining etc.

SueDonim Thu 16-Jan-20 13:16:22

Thank you, Farmor. smile

Cherrytree59 Thu 16-Jan-20 13:29:05

My sister uses the Kefir grains daily

However she has purchased kefir tablets or capsules (cant remember which) to take whilst on holiday or away from home.

A much easier option.

NotSpaghetti Thu 16-Jan-20 14:15:31

I use whichever sieve comes to hand, plastic or metal. Kefir really is virtually indestructible! If you leave it way too long - eg, go away in the summer for 4 weeks leaving it in the sun (!) it will be pretty foul on return - but, treat it kindly with new milk for a few days and it will start to grow again and be happy.

NotAGran55 Thu 16-Jan-20 19:41:40

Thank you everyonesmile Just off to look on amazon ...