Gransnet forums

Food

Vegan recipes

(7 Posts)
PenTur Mon 02-Mar-20 22:06:43

My daughter who lives abroad will soon be visiting us for a week. She has recently become a vegan and I am panicking about providing tasty meals. We have had serious health issues recently and although recovering, I have not yet regained my “organiser” mojo! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

vegansrock Mon 02-Mar-20 22:19:45

Why don’t you ask her what she likes? Most meals can be made vegan - pasta with mushroom sauce, Puy lentils in a spicy tomato sauce with a sweet potato topping, bean burgers , chick pea tagine, sesame crispy fried tofu with a stir fry, cashew nut and coconut curry chillies etc. You can buy quite a few decent vegan sausages and burgers ready made now, plus ice cream , yoghurt, oat milk .
For inspiration go the Veganuary website which has lots of beginner recipes, or try the BOSH all plants cookbook.

Blondiescot Tue 03-Mar-20 18:37:10

In addition to what vegansrock has said, you could also have a look at Jack Monroe's website - cookingonabootstrap.com - she has recently brought out her latest cookbook, Veganish, and there are some great vegan versions of well-known dishes on there.

M0nica Wed 04-Mar-20 16:55:10

Just google 'vegan recipes and if you want one using a particular ingredient add that name to the end of the search.

Remember not to use honey. Many vegans do not eat it.

V3ra Wed 04-Mar-20 18:42:50

As your daughter has only recently become vegan I imagine she's still finding her way with it all.
I'd suggest asking her advice about what foods to buy in and ask her to do some cooking while she's with you so you can learn from her.
She's unlikely to expect you to suddenly be an expert.
My older son is vegan and we've tried some interesting new products over the last couple of years, some we now prefer to animal-based items eg soya ice cream and yoghurt.

Grammaretto Wed 04-Mar-20 19:33:44

We've recently hosted a couple of vegans.
We made sure we had alternative milk, yoghurt and cheese.
Otherwise it was easy. They like Marmight and they like spicy food so curry and chilli was popular so it doesn't have to be baked beans on toast.
Vegan ice cream is delicious.

Grammaretto Wed 04-Mar-20 19:35:28

Ahem. Marmite. I was getting confused with our GN member. smile