Gransnet forums

Food

What can I make with these ingredients?

(23 Posts)
granoffour Wed 18-Mar-20 09:27:55

Due to Tesco substitutes (not moaning, at this point I'm happy to have got anything to be honest) I now have a butternut squash and an aubergine, neither of which I cook with usually. Any suggestions for what I can do with them? Thanks smile

Bathsheba Wed 18-Mar-20 09:34:16

If you've got any lasagne sheets, and cheese to make a sauce, how about a vegetable lasagne? Butternut squash is difficult to peel, as it's so rock hard, but if you cook it in the microwave for 4 or 5 minutes first, turning once or twice to cook it evenly, it will be much easier to peel.

Bathsheba Wed 18-Mar-20 09:37:55

Or alternatively make a coconut and butternut squash curry - have a look online for recipes, because obviously it'll depend on what other ingredients you have.

Teetime Wed 18-Mar-20 09:41:08

That's what I would have suggested either a curry or a lasagne.

Granarchist Wed 18-Mar-20 09:42:46

google recipes containing those items - much the best way to try something new!!!

granoffour Wed 18-Mar-20 09:44:44

Oh, I've never put a butternut in the microwave before. And there reason I usually avoid them is because they are such beasts to peel. That's a great tip, thanks Bathsheba.

MrsPickle Wed 18-Mar-20 10:02:13

You can roast squash in its skin and eat the skin!

I was saying yesterday, I used to plan meals and shop. Now I shop then plan meals.

shysal Wed 18-Mar-20 10:05:49

And don't forget to roast the squash seeds!

Lucca Wed 18-Mar-20 10:07:26

Bbcgoodfood is a great source of inspiration and includes comments by real people suggesting slight adjustments. However some go OTT with the changes which can be comical and make you wonder why they chose the recipe in the first place,

Framilode Wed 18-Mar-20 10:10:05

You can make lovely soup from butternut squash. I roast it in the onion first, then the usual with an onion and chicken stock cube. I also add some dried ginger.

nonnasusie Wed 18-Mar-20 10:36:06

Risotto!

tickingbird Wed 18-Mar-20 10:38:04

I wish I could get some online groceries! Just to add BBC good food is an excellent site.

Alexa Wed 18-Mar-20 10:40:13

Cook them and dowse then in cheese sauce?

Alexa Wed 18-Mar-20 10:41:21

Framilode, any advice re use of spices in soups interests me. Do you know of anything else?

moggie57 Wed 18-Mar-20 10:44:35

mash them up together with soya mince and make patties .either grill or deep fry.
egg or milk to bind.

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 10:54:40

Butternut squash soup with a little chilli
We usually roast it to serve as a veg with roast dinner.
Slice the aubergine and dry in olive oil, but don't use too much oil as it absorbs it. Or you could paint the slices with oil and grill.

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 10:56:01

Ps if you roast butternut squash you don't have to peel it first, just cut into chunks, roast skin side down, don't eat the skin.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Mar-20 11:19:06

Babaganoush with the aubergine - roast in a hot oven or char over a gas flame. Scoop out the flesh, add some lemon juice and crushed garlic and a bit of tahini if you have. Yum. With the squash I'd roast and turn into soup as previous posters have suggested (with some grated ginger) or roast and season and have as a salad if you have any feta or goats cheese.

Fennel Wed 18-Mar-20 11:27:07

I sometimes add aubergine, peeled and diced, to leftover stews, mince etc. to make an extra meal. Courgettes too.
It merges in with the meat and absorbs the taste.

SiobhanSharpe Wed 18-Mar-20 11:29:08

Alexa I put freshly grated ginger into homemade carrot soup, along with a squeeze of lime.
Fennel and cumin seed into sweet potato and tomato soup -- this is delicious and unlike commercial tomato soup is not overpoweringly sweet.
nutmeg is good in cauliflower soup (or cauliflower cheese soup)
A teaspoon of curry paste (better than powder) livens up pumpkin soup which can otherwise be a bit dull.

Nortsat Wed 18-Mar-20 18:35:22

Coincidentally, there’s a really tasty sounding recipe in today’s Guardian by David Atherton, the v nice young man who won the Great British Bake Off this year.
It’s called Butternut Pasta Bake and looks yum.

Do let us know what you decide to make ...??

Alexa Thu 19-Mar-20 18:29:32

Thanks SiobhanSharpe I copied for reference. Do you do a blog about that sort of thing?

kittylester Thu 19-Mar-20 18:45:04

Butternut squash soup made with a smallish amount of chopped chilli (or some flakes) with grated gruyere is fab.