Gransnet forums

Food

You can't get more eastery than this

(13 Posts)
Baggs Thu 26-Mar-20 08:28:18

Make some hot cross buns, proper ones with yeast (I used half white and half wholemeal bread flour).

Hard boil some eggs and mash a couple up with mayonnaise.

Slice open your buns. Butter them. Add egg mayo. Close bun.

Eat bun.

For anyone going ?, think: this is essentially a very slightly sweeter than usual bread roll. So stop your nonsense! ?

For health freaks like MrB, you can add some beansprouts or cress. He's currently sprouting broccoli seeds for the sulphoraphanes. Everyone else uses a Kilner jar. He's bought a machine that uses electricity and rains on your seeds or beans preiodically.

The machine was made in China so it had to be put in isolation for two weeks before we could use it.

tanith Thu 26-Mar-20 09:04:55

Sorry Baggs I think it sounds horrible, sweet fruity bun filled with egg mayo YUK!!!

Riverwalk Thu 26-Mar-20 09:18:40

I think it sounds lovely! Like having a teacake with a piece of strong cheddar.

I fancy egg mayo now.

Baggs Thu 26-Mar-20 09:45:45

I suspect that people who think it's too sweet have only ever eaten shop bought hot cross buns, which are an entirely different species from my homemade ones. Apart from a handful of raisins and some cinnamon and mixed spice, I use the same bread recipe as for my normal everyday bread.

ninathenana Thu 26-Mar-20 09:47:09

No flour or yeast to be had in shops near me.

Chewbacca Thu 26-Mar-20 09:49:38

Sounds delish to me! Anything with egg mayo is a winner. Hot cross buns are a winner. Out them together.... double winner!

Teetime Thu 26-Mar-20 10:06:34

Oh yuk. But I am the only person in the world who hates mayonnaise I think.

Teetime Thu 26-Mar-20 10:07:19

DH puts marmite on Hot Cross buns if that wasn't bad enough - eggs!!! Hate marmite too.

MiniMoon Thu 26-Mar-20 10:20:34

You are a woman after my own heart baggs. I eat hot cross buns with cooked ham and mustard, or cheese. Sweet and savoury, what's not to like. ?

MawB Thu 26-Mar-20 10:21:32

I am waiting to hear of the first deep-fried creme egg gringrin

annodomini Thu 26-Mar-20 10:34:57

MawB, that is, to my mind, the only possible way to eat a creme egg - the most over-rated and over-hyped confection in the history of food.

mbmb Thu 26-Mar-20 10:49:08

My DGS was very downhearted at not being able to take his GCSEs this summer and he loves a creme egg. I can excuse this as he has not yet reached the age of discretion. I sent him a box of 48 and he was delighted.

M0nica Fri 27-Mar-20 10:42:30

I do not like eggs (sad)