Gransnet forums

Food

Delia's breakfast baps

(52 Posts)
Auntieflo Sat 28-Mar-20 09:50:18

Please would someone put me out of my misery!

Yesterday?? I read somewhere, which thread? that someone had made Delia's Breakfast Baps.

I have searched skimmed the threads, and can' t find it, so don't know who to ask.

If you happen to read this, please could you put the recipe on here for me?

I googled it, but only got # books I could buy.
I used to have Delia's great big cookery book, with everything in it, but it has been lent, a long time ago, to someone, and not returned

merlotgran Sat 28-Mar-20 12:18:49

Do show us yer baps when they're baked, Auntieflo

We're a gluten free kitchen chez merlot and I've just spent the last half hour on facetime trying to talk DD through making a basic gf loaf. She's an excellent baker but couldn't get any normal bread flour so she decided to use a bag of gf that I left with her at Christmas.

Apparently this is her second attempt. The first one went in the bin!

Purpledaffodil Sat 28-Mar-20 12:21:07

You’re very welcome Auntieflo. Was almost afraid to post prosaic recipe and stop the flow of TW reminiscence ?

NannyJan53 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:22:22

It was me! My Mum has been making them for years, and all the family love them, so she makes batches for our freezers. I decided to try them this week. From Delia Smiths Complete Cookery Course, page 58 in mine.

If you cannot read Purpledaffodils I will be willing to type out the recipe on here.

NannyJan53 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:26:24

Here is the photo of the batch I made. When I divided them into equal pieces I weighed each one at 80 - 82 gm (it made 10)

Auntieflo Sat 28-Mar-20 12:37:17

I am at the beginning of the process. I just hope the yeast is OK. I bought it a few weeks ago, hoping to make Hot Cross Buns. They were alright-ish, but better for a warm in the microwave, rather than toasted.
Anyway, I have left the yeast mixture to 'froth' up, and it's being a bit slow.
So I came back on here, and found some more replies. Thanks

* NannyJan*, many thanks for the offer. I can read the first page from Purpledaffodil, but the next page is not so good.

So if you could type out the bit after putting the shaped rolls onto a baking sheet and flattening them slightly, I would be very grateful.
It says something about making a hole in the centre of each one, but I just can't see it clearly.
The bake off continues.

NannyJan53 Sat 28-Mar-20 12:48:49

So, after putting them on the baking sheet, it says,

Flour your hands and flatten the balls slightly into disc shapes.

The press a deep hole with your thumb in the centre of each bap (this prevents any blistering whilst it's cooking)

Brush each one with milk and sprinkle on a generous dusting of flour.

Then put the baking sheets inside large plastic bags (I just covered lightly with cling film) for 20-25 mins to prove.

Bake for 10 mins so they are golden brown under the floury tops.

Transfer to a wire rack to cook, and eat them very fresh (I have frozen them also, and they are just as good)

Hope this helps, they are really delicious. The recipe says plain flour, but I used strong bread flour. But Mum has used normal plain flour when she has no bread flour.

Auntieflo Sat 28-Mar-20 13:05:26

Thank you NannyJan. Much appreciated. I have used Strong white flour ?
They are doing their first prove , so we are going out for our walk, as it is getting colder and greyer.

NannyJan53 Sat 28-Mar-20 13:37:30

Cold and grey here too!(West Midlands) Enjoy the walk and a lovely warm bap later!

Auntieflo Sat 28-Mar-20 16:51:51

Here they are, hot out of the oven.
They look nice, and feel as though they are soft inside.

Many thanks for the recipes Purpledaffodil, and NannyJan

merlotgran Sat 28-Mar-20 16:54:00

They look really yummy. Get the bacon under the grill!!

Lisagran Sat 28-Mar-20 17:21:13

Ooh, nice baps Auntieflo grin

MiniMoon Sat 28-Mar-20 17:30:17

Well, well. We have all had the same idea.
Mine turned out great. I made them on Wednesday and used the last one up yesterday, I made it into breadcrumbs for a pasta topping.

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 17:34:05

I'm going to make mine tomorrow.

I have a special bap tin I got from Aldi yonks ago, it is brillaint for making them all the same size.
Everyone's looks great.

NannyJan53 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:35:08

Glad they turned out well, Auntieflo , they are nice and soft inside. I could just eat one now! Yours look lovely too MiniMoon

Auntieflo Sat 28-Mar-20 18:17:48

MiniMoon, another set of lovely baps.

Will we have a picture of yours*Marydoll*?

Next time ? I will make them a little bigger, as I made 14 today.

Looks like breakfast tomorrow is sorted.

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 18:45:52

Of course you will! Monday morning's breakfast. We have gone from no bread to too much!

?

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 18:47:14

That's it, the pressure's on. I seem to have lost my touch. Fingers crossed!?

merlotgran Sat 28-Mar-20 21:23:13

Mahoosive baps, MiniMoon

MiniMoon Sat 28-Mar-20 21:38:42

Made them big on purpose merlot, I wanted to be able to slice them.

merlotgran Sat 28-Mar-20 21:41:58

Ouch! grin

Jessity Sat 28-Mar-20 22:16:40

This is one of the best GN threads, love it.

Anyone else remember “I’ve fallen in love with Fran Godfrey”?

BradfordLass73 Sat 28-Mar-20 22:29:41

Here's another excellent recipe:

Scottish Breakfast Baps

½ ( 3 level teaspoons) ounce fresh yeast
1 teaspoon sugar, for creaming the yeast
½ (1 cup) pint milk, and water, mixed and warmed to blood heat (more if necessary)
1lb (2 cups) strong white bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 (2 tbspns) ounces butter
flour, for dusting

DIRECTIONS
Rub the butter into the flour and make a well in the centre.
Cream the yeast with the sugar, then add the liquid and salt, and pour into the well. Mix to a slack dough, adding extra warm liquid if required.
Allow to rise until the dough has doubled in bulk, for about an hour or two according to temperature.
Knead, and divide in eight even pieces. Knead each into a ball about the size of a fist, and flatten with the hand. Then lightly roll to a round with a rolling-pin.
Place the ball doughs on a well-floured baking trays, lightly pressing your thumb in to the middle of the baps.
Brush with milk and sprinkle flour all over the top of the baps. Prove for 15 to 20 minutes until well risen.
Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 10 minutes, or until firm and lightly golden brown, but still soft - tap them underneath and they should sound hollow when they are cooked. . Cool on a wire rack. Dust with more flour.
These freeze very well - serve them with assorted fillings for sandwiches or just split whilst warm and spread with butter.

Half Quantity

1 ½ level teaspoons) ounce fresh yeast
½ teaspoon sugar, for creaming the yeast
½ cup milk, and water, mixed and warmed to blood heat (more if necessary)
½ lb (1 cup) strong white bread flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 (1 tbspn) ounces butter

Put on the kettle, get out the butter and jam and enjoy a wee strupak smile

Purpledaffodil Wed 01-Apr-20 18:04:29

Showing my baps now. Ooh matron!?
It’s all your fault Auntieflo . I usually use ordinary white dough recipe. These took more ingredients. I divided into 8 as I wanted my baps to be bigger ?Roughly 100g each.

Lisagran Wed 01-Apr-20 18:57:55

Ooh Purpledaffodil. I like the look of your baps smile. They look really yummy! Very ‘artisan bakery’.

Auntieflo Wed 01-Apr-20 19:44:36

Purpledaffodil your baps look really good, a better size than mine!

I did freeze most of the ones I made, but used a couple this morning. Just popped them into the microwave, on high for a few seconds. They were delicious.

If I can get more bread flour, I will definitely make some more.

Let's all blame our resident Master Chef Marydoll.
She posts all these tempting ideas and recipes. ?
We'll all be at least a size larger when this is finished
Even my neighbour sent a couple of slices of Malt Loaf. Mmm