Gransnet forums

Food

Fish.

(7 Posts)
farview Thu 02-Apr-20 09:56:43

Bought 2packs of fresh fish from the fridge in lidl, hake and cod..saw the 'suitable for freezing ' sign on the pack..so put them in the freezer..just read on the back of the pack though that its been previously frozen! So is it safe to freeze again at home?

B9exchange Thu 02-Apr-20 09:58:18

Yes, they will be fine, defrost and cook thoroughly when needed!

Eglantine21 Thu 02-Apr-20 09:59:44

Yes, it’ll be fine as long as it wasn’t off to begin with. Deep sea fish is frozen on the boat and then often gets refrozen after it’s been processed. It just might be a bit chewy. I’d make fish cakes

Witzend Thu 02-Apr-20 10:01:55

I wouldn’t think twice.
Maybe it might affect the texture but I’d still use it in e.g. a fish chowder like we had last night, a curry or a kedgeree. Or a fish pie.

Evoha16 Thu 02-Apr-20 10:07:11

Hake is delicious with Carribean curry powder/garlic and coconut cream or milk - Serve with turmeric rice

Davidhs Thu 02-Apr-20 10:32:37

The fish frozen at sea is mainly intended for Fish and chip shops and other catering outlets although no doubt some ends up on shop counters.

On the list of foods you should not refreeze, right at the top is seafood, if it’s vacuum packed there is probably little risk but not fresh off the counter. The sensible thing to do if you can’t use it quickly is to cook it then freeze it, personally I’d apply that to all previously frozen food, why take more risk that you need to.

farview Thu 02-Apr-20 10:37:31

Thanks everyone..nice cooking ideas also..*Davidhs*yes it is vacuum packed