Gransnet forums

Food

Help! No icing sugar.

(15 Posts)
JackyB Fri 29-May-20 11:46:12

Sorry - just noticed this one. So I'm too late with the answer but have you tried making Italian meringue? It's made with sugar syrup, so as you melt it, you can use any sugar.

It's supposed to be really tricky, but there are loads of demonstrations on Youtube. This one is American, but he does go into lots of detail to prevent failure:

preppykitchen.com/how-to-make-italian-buttercream/

GrannyLaine Fri 29-May-20 08:11:39

Excellent result watermeadow. Hope your cake turned out just right - it sounds lovely!

watermeadow Fri 29-May-20 06:42:04

Success! Facebook (so maddening and so useful) brought a big box of icing sugar to my gate within 20 minutes!

GrannyLaine Thu 28-May-20 08:29:46

watermeadow I think a local FB appeal should get you your icing sugar quickly.

Babyshark Thu 28-May-20 08:22:42

Sorry just seen it’s Wiltshire. Apologies

Babyshark Thu 28-May-20 08:22:04

For the last week there has been no shortage of baking ingredients in the shops in my area, including flour. Could you ask your granddaughter to have another look or maybe put out a Facebook appeal? I’m in the Derbyshire area and if you happen to be close to me you are welcome to mine?

watermeadow Thu 28-May-20 06:41:39

Luckylegs I live in Wiltshire and can’t travel. Please tell me you and your icing sugar live in the next street!
I haven’t got a food processor, tried grinding sugar in liquidiser and not successful. ☹️

shysal Wed 27-May-20 14:23:53

I have a birthday cake to make for my GS's 21st next week. Being unable to obtain several ingredients I have ordered a Betty Crocker cake mix, an icing topper and 2 tubs of frosting which I can colour and pipe, from Ebay. It will be an expensive cake but very easy!

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 27-May-20 14:07:15

Luckylegs icing sugar also contains a clumping agent which is usually cornflour, so it might taste a bit odd in cakes, unless you have a recipe that needs cornflour in it?

MaizieD Wed 27-May-20 14:00:56

Call it 'textured fondant icing' as used by the most fashionable bakers grin

I thought about grinding granulated sugar, too.

Sorry, can't really help sad

25Avalon Wed 27-May-20 13:57:58

In a food processor granulated sugar will first become finer as in caster sugar and then it will turn to icing sugar. Just keep grinding.

Luckylegs Wed 27-May-20 13:57:46

Can’t get caster sugar either for love or money! Where do you live Watermeadow because I’ve got loads of icing sugar and no intention of doing much with it? Could I use it instead of caster? Just thought?

MiniMoon Wed 27-May-20 13:56:44

I've done it this way
It took a while, and fortunately I do have a fine sieve. It was good enough for me.

merlotgran Wed 27-May-20 13:53:54

I would have another go at grinding granulated sugar. A decent processor should do it but you may have to give it longer than you did last time.

watermeadow Wed 27-May-20 13:50:31

I have to make a birthday cake for Friday. I’d planned on lemon curd buttercream in the middle and also under the rolled fondant icing which will cover it.
I have a little icing sugar but can’t get more. I’m not allowed out and granddaughter says there’s none in our few shops.
What can I use instead? I once tried grinding granulated sugar to make icing sugar and it was revoltingly gritty.
This has to be a showy-off cake!