Gransnet forums

Food

Spinach: hot to the table?

(10 Posts)
Alishka Tue 16-Jun-20 14:13:22

I eat a lot of spinach. Sweated down, then gently cooked with olive oil, fresh chilli and garlic and yes! a squeeze of lemon over.Food of the Gods!
I've just completed my online delivery order and an 800g bag of the green stuff is on it.

Witzend Tue 16-Jun-20 11:25:41

Does anyone else add lemon juice to cooked spinach?

Years ago, when we were living overseas among mostly Greek Cypriots, I once had a GC neighbour asking whether I had a lemon she could have, since she was cooking spinach, and ‘How can you have spinach without lemon juice?’

Er, quite easily! I thought, but that was before I tried it.
I invariably sprinkle some on cooked spinach now.

PinkCakes Sun 14-Jun-20 19:42:41

I much prefer it raw, in salads

MiniMoon Sun 14-Jun-20 18:09:48

Likewise merlotgran.

merlotgran Sun 14-Jun-20 17:40:53

I do the same as GrannyGravy .

I also add spinach to curries and pasta dishes at the last minute and just stir it through.

Fennel Sun 14-Jun-20 17:36:07

You can buy frozen chopped spinach. I just microwave it for a few minutes. In a bowl covered with clingfilm.
I've used spinach from the garden and you do need to wash that. Then dry off with a teatowel or kitchen roll before microwaving. No added water - the spinach steams in its own liquid.

Legs Sun 14-Jun-20 17:32:42

Not so healthy, but lovely:
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/creamed-spinach

Calendargirl Sun 14-Jun-20 14:30:50

I had spinach the other night. Washed the leaves, shook off the excess water, didn’t add any more, microwaved for a couple of minutes, quick drain, then ate.

Seemed quite warm, and tasty.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Jun-20 14:18:21

Don't boil it, sweat it down in a shallow wide pan two tablespoons of water and some butter transfer to hot serving dish.

Takes less than five minutes, tastes delicious and keeps hot.

Jillybird Sun 14-Jun-20 14:15:16

After failing for fifty years, I want to ask "Can anyone tell me how to get spinach to the table - still hot!?

I am still in awe of how a whole large saucepan full to the brim with spinach boils down to two tablespoons, but despite trying to be as speedy as possible, by the time I've drained it and pressed the water out, it is always cold by the time it hits the plates...

Anyone have a foolproof method of delivering hot (even warm) spinach?