Gransnet forums

Food

Help! Lemonade scones

(11 Posts)
lemongrove Fri 19-Jun-20 12:18:15

Hope someone knows this recipe, using lemonade in scone making?
There was mention of it on a baking thread a while ago.
I want to make a batch of scones on Sunday morning as it’s Fathers Day, and family are coming to our garden in the afternoon.
I thank anyone in advance for a reply as I won’t be on GN now until this evening.?

GagaJo Fri 19-Jun-20 12:25:37

www.recipetineats.com/lemonade-scones/

lemongrove Fri 19-Jun-20 16:00:52

Thanks, but that recipe needed lots of cream.Am sure that GNers used cold butter and the rubbed in normal way to make scones.Just popped in to bump the thread in the hope that somebody has the recipe.It may have been kittylester
?

shysal Fri 19-Jun-20 16:26:02

That is almost the same as my recipe from GN. You need cream because there is no butter, so rubbing in not needed.
I use double Elmlea cream and the lemonade mustn't be diet. Mix lightly, cut and bake at 220C for 10-12 mins.
I sometimes add a little sugar to the mix, but if you are topping with plenty of jam there is no need.

If anyone is interested, I have adapted the recipe to make cheese scones, which are also very light:

14 oz SR flour
6oz double cream
6oz lemonade (not diet)
Grated cheese
pinch of salt
a slosh of oil (optional) for extra richness.

Mix lightly, shape and bake at 220C 10-12 mins.

shysal Fri 19-Jun-20 16:31:27

www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/recipes/a560998/cheats-lemonade-scones/

shysal Fri 19-Jun-20 16:35:59

The GN search box brings up 2 previous threads which use the same recipe as mine.

Greenfinch Fri 19-Jun-20 16:47:52

Milk can be used instead of cream. Google lemonade scones without cream.I did make some once but prefer the traditional method.

lemongrove Fri 19-Jun-20 19:02:49

Thanks .....I think this time I will make traditional scones and try the others later on.Having food deliveries once a week I shall have to wait for cream.

lemongrove Fri 19-Jun-20 19:03:49

The cheese scones sound nice shysal ?

Franbern Tue 23-Jun-20 19:36:42

On GN (House selling and buying) we got the recipe for lemonade scones from one of our regular contributors who lives in AUstralia, where, it seems these are quite normal. I made a batch and they were okay - but not as good as my usual ones. My AC all laughed when I said I had made scones with lemonade, still keep mentioning it.

Stansgran Tue 23-Jun-20 19:52:14

I have learnt that the butter from the freezer grated in makes mixing easy and light scones. I generally make them with sour milk as people keep forgetting to put bottles back in the fridge.