Gransnet forums

Food

Snacking

(62 Posts)
kittylester Fri 19-Jun-20 17:45:35

Apparently, people are snacking a lot during lockdown.

It's not something we have ever done - think how wide I'd be if we did - so we don't have snacky stuff in. We have fruit on the kitchen table, crisps which are occasionally (though rarely) eaten at lunch time and some chocolate as a sweet treat sometimes in the evening.

Do you snack and, if you do, what do you snack on?

Akom Thu 02-Jul-20 16:04:22

Anyone intersted in learning an amazing latest way to make pancakes?, then don't hesitate to check this out on this link: shrinkme.io/P3SDD

Alishka Mon 22-Jun-20 14:12:59

Did someone mention Borders biscuits? I used to buy their ginger ones - to die for!
Usually, tho, I'm Savoury all the way - Bombay/Gujarati Mix, olives/stuffed olives are on my regular lockdown listsmile
Not fond usually of sweet things - or chocolate blush

Puzzler61 Sun 21-Jun-20 09:45:58

Forgot to say my weight is about 2-3 lbs up on the usual.

Puzzler61 Sun 21-Jun-20 09:45:12

Since lockdown we’ve started the habit of a slice of cake with our mid afternoon cuppa. Usually fruit cake or lemon cake.
I like cheese straws and often buy a box. It will last about 3 days, and I also buy a bag of giant chocolate buttons (gone in one go).
Before a spicy evening meal we’ll have poppadums with mango chutney, or tortilla crisps with garlic+ herb dip. I suppose these count as snacks.
I only open a packet of biscuits if visitors are here and of course that hasn’t happened lately.

rjack Sun 21-Jun-20 09:41:03

Only a piece of cake in the afternoon. weight tends to go up without exercise.

f77ms Sun 21-Jun-20 09:32:15

I have put 4 lbs on in the last 3 months so really trying not to snack. I think it is more to do with inactivity than food! If i was to snack it would be chocolate but fortunately i can't eat too much because i had my gall bladder removed last year and i get 'symptoms' blush with too much fatty food!

SynchroSwimmer Sun 21-Jun-20 00:40:32

Sliced pear or apple with peanut butter - in lieu of a missed meal when I’m starving.

Frozen sliced banana - straight from the freezer in pre-prepared sandwich boxes

Aldi frozen mango chunks - direct from the freezer

Sawsage2 Sat 20-Jun-20 23:11:56

Cadbury flake or malt loaf with lots of butter. Weighed 10 stone 2 years ago, still same. 5ft 7.;

lemongrove Sat 20-Jun-20 22:27:20

sodapop?.....go on, pop a crumpet in the toaster right now......you know you want one.
As Oscar Wilde said ‘I can resist anything except temptation’.

4allweknow Sat 20-Jun-20 21:58:00

Can't have salted nuts in the house as would scoff the lot in a oner. Always have a non chocolate type biscuit with a cuppa in the afternoon eg rich tea/abernethy. One square of dark chocolate 70% in the evening. Fruit as part of lunch. Crisps are a very rare treat. Lost 10lbs during lockdown totally unplanned.

MissAdventure Sat 20-Jun-20 21:36:38

I never forget to eat, either.
The first thing we did when we had horrific news was went to Morrisons and had lunch.

Callistemon Sat 20-Jun-20 20:34:46

and sometimes even forget to eat
I have never understood that concept but I do have a DD who says that too.
She was always a picky eater, unlike the rest of the family.

Happysexagenarian Sat 20-Jun-20 20:28:51

I've always been a snacker, even before lockdown.
Chocolate in any shape or form
Biscuits
Cake
Cheese
Fruit, mostly bananas or berries
Did I mention chocolate
I have no willpower and I'm not keen on exercise or dieting so I have put on a stone during lockdown, and I don't give a damn.

Lilylaundry Sat 20-Jun-20 19:06:10

At the beginning of the week I hard boil three eggs and snack on those during the evenings when snacking becomes too difficult to resist. Sliced hard boiled egg together with a sliced tomato, bit of spinach and ground pepper. It makes me feel quite saintly, having 'stepped away' from the biscuit tin.

hollysteers Sat 20-Jun-20 18:48:43

I don’t snack a lot and sometimes even forget to eat, but I do get the ‘munchies’ from time to time say around 10 in the evening and have Ryvita or similar (sesame seed is nice) with cheese and Branston pickle.
I enjoy a Bounty bar too?

Gma29 Sat 20-Jun-20 16:51:22

I rarely snack during the day, but it will be something sweet mid-afternoon if I do. I am dreadful in the evenings though, Again, it will almost always be something sweet, (fruit, cake, biscuits, puddings etc), although I’m not a big fan of chocolate. I don’t really ever eat savoury snacks of any sort.

JackyB Sat 20-Jun-20 14:05:22

If I don't have crisps or biscuits in the house, I don't miss them. I recently tried counting calories and found I would be fine if I just stuck to meals. Snacks are over and above the calorie allowance.

Sometimes, though, I can't resist, and will buy a packet of crisps (which I naughtily crunch in the car on the way home) or biscuits. One biscuit with a cup of tea or coffee is just no option for me, though, it's rarely less than 3 - and that's only whilst the tea is brewing!

I'll randomly open the fridge and chew a stick of celery or a chunk of cheese, though. Bananas are the only fruit I will absent-mindedly chomp outside mealtimes. I have to force myself to eat an apple.

Love cashews, though - I agree that it's pointless to sell them in resealable packs!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 20-Jun-20 13:33:03

Raisins, Marie biscuits and sometimes nuts.

I am underweight and trying to gain weight.

NanaPlenty Sat 20-Jun-20 13:21:26

Half way through lockdown I decided enough was enough - something had to change. I’m now on a great healthy eating plan, low carb no sugar, no processed foods. Made a great banana loaf which I can have as a snack or dark 85% choc square. I’m four weeks in , I’ve lost 7lb and am feeling much better??

Buttonjugs Sat 20-Jun-20 12:59:56

@Gramann I do that too!

sodapop Sat 20-Jun-20 12:37:09

lemongrove your crumpet made my mouth water grin

sodapop Sat 20-Jun-20 12:35:55

Juicylucy how do you stay size 12 with those lovely treats, my favourites too.

Gramann Sat 20-Jun-20 12:35:37

I'm the same - I have to clean my teeth early evening or I would be snacking all evening!!

Bijou Sat 20-Jun-20 12:33:35

I never used to snack between meals but when I was undergoing treatment for cancer the oncologist told me to have something to eat between meals. I now have a cup of tea or coffee and a biscuit.

Rosiebee Sat 20-Jun-20 12:24:48

I don't snack during the day but I made a batch of Nigella's Choc Chip Cookies, expecting GC to come round and pick up most of them. They weren't able to come and I've had to limit myself to one cookie a day.[I admit to some cheating.] Even when they had started to go a bit stale, they were still yummy.
It's evening time since lockdown, that I find hardest, when DH comes back from kitchen with crisps or nuts. Yes I know I shouldn't buy them but I see them as our little treats when doing current weekly shop. Previously I only bought them at Christmas.