Gransnet forums

Food

Home made bread - how to store?

(59 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Sun 12-Jul-20 21:21:19

I bought myself a breadmaker as my birthday present to myself, and I've made the first loaf. It smells fab and I can't wait to try it.

But what do you store home-made bread in? I've just wrapped it in a clean tea towel at the moment, but I'm sure there's a better way smile

Arsenalpe Mon 03-Aug-20 07:11:24

I like bread, my daily breakfast is bread only. Now due to COVID 19, I cant but it outside. This forum makes me happy to prepare my favorite item of bread. Thank you. I definitely try this at home. keep posting

HurdyGurdy Thu 30-Jul-20 22:16:27

I am so sorry. I had completely forgotten that I had posted this question.

Thank you all for your replies, I have bought a bamboo cutting guide which is making life much easier and I am not getting the wedge shaped slices that I used to have, so as I am able to cut even slices, I will freeze some already sliced.

Although - so far, there's not been anything left after a day or so! I'm sure the novelty will wear off sooner or later, but I am so pleased I bought the breadmaker smile

JackyB Wed 15-Jul-20 09:14:35

Here in Germany people usually use fresh yeast. And they use it a lot for cakes more than bread.

I was talking to someone the other day and she told me how you do it. I had said I thought you could freeze it but wasn't sure how to go from there.

She said to unwrap it (the standard size is a 1" cube, 42g) while frozen and put it in a cup. It goes liquid when it defrosts and she first made the mistake of putting it loose on the draining board, where it just drained away!

You can then stir in a little of your warm milk or water and add it to the rest of the mixture. You only have to take it out of the freezer about 30-40 mins before you need it.

Yeast only went off the shelves for a very short time here. Dried yeast took a little longer to come back, but I noticed the fresh yeast (usually somewhere near the butter) very soon. Not sure if it even disappeared at all, actually.

Granless Tue 14-Jul-20 20:20:31

Thank you Purpledaffodil for your recommendation. I’ll look into it.

Happiyogi Mon 13-Jul-20 21:44:28

I'm another recent convert to Fermipan yeast. I found it online, with many very enthusiastic reviews, and now it's cheaper than when I bought it several months ago! It comes in a red vacuum packed block and mine has a very long use by date.

Purpledaffodil Mon 13-Jul-20 21:36:56

HurdyGurdy I often make rolls using the dough option rather than a loaf as it’s easier to get a couple out of the freezer for lunch- I also make the occasional loaf for toast and freeze that trying to fan the slices so they don’t freeze together

Purpledaffodil Mon 13-Jul-20 21:32:28

Granless I thoroughly recommend the Panasonic bread maker with a raisin option which means it will drop nuts etc into the dough at the right moment! I prefer it because ingredients are weighed rather than measured in cups and I have never had a failed loaf?

Ramblingrose22 Mon 13-Jul-20 20:30:41

Thanks to those who have replied suggesting places to get fresh yeast.

I probably should have explained in my previous post that I am shielding and have to rely on supermarket deliveries. I can't walk into a supermarket to see what's on the shelves.

Unfortunately Morrisons is not one of the supermarkets who deliver to us. I hope supplies of yeast improve as fewer people use supermarket deliveries and more are out and about because of going back to work.

hilarious Mon 13-Jul-20 19:07:08

My local Morrison's has fresh yeast in packs of four - foil wrapped & freezable.

Granless Mon 13-Jul-20 17:35:30

Can somebody please recommend a bread maker?
I especially love sourdough bread.

Ellianne Mon 13-Jul-20 16:56:19

What a lovely story about your 5 ravenous children GreenGran78.
I can't remember who told me, but when the crust is going hard you can splash it with a bit of water and put the bread in the oven to recrispen for a few minutes.

Fennel Mon 13-Jul-20 16:48:51

Woodmouse - I had to give up handkneading too because of arthritis in my hands. We bought a Kenwood mixer with a kneading hook and that copes with up to 1kg flour and makes 3 decent sized loaves. After rising bake as normal in the oven.
Never tried a bread machine because making just one loaf seems a waste of time.
I store extra loaves in plastic bags in the freezer.

Sgilley Mon 13-Jul-20 16:41:43

We do like merlotgran. Slice the whole loaf and freeze in packs of enough slices to make us both a sandwich. Or in couples. Enjoy

Daisymae Mon 13-Jul-20 15:33:44

I bought a clear plastic container from Amazon. Comes with a slice guide and adjusts with the size of the loaf. It's brilliant.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:30:32

I am surprised how many of you keep bread in the fridge.

I find it goes stale quicker in the fridge than in a bread tin.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:29:08

I put half the dough in the freezer when it is ready to bake and bake the other half, as that suits our needs.

Loaves when cold go into a thin plastic bag, or cotton bag and into our bread tin, which is actually a basket.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:18:32

I haven't the strength in my thumbs to kneed so a few years ago I started to buy bread mixes. My favourite is Wright's Cheddar & Sun Dried Tomato Bread Mix.

I slice and freeze it as I do the sour dough bread I buy every week.

I might invest in a bread machine one day.

Someone mentioned still not getting yeast. My daughter in North West has only just started to find it in the supermarket again. I posted to packets to her a month ago.

GreenGran78 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:08:14

With a family of five children, I used to spend a lot on bread. I decided that it would be much cheaper to make my own. Unfortunately this more or less resulted in a queue down the hall, waiting for it to come out of the oven. They were eating more, and thicker, slices of home-made bread, resulting also in a bigger consumption of butter and various toppings.
My waistline was also suffering!
I reverted, amid many complaints, to shop-bought.
The ravening horde has long since left home, and I now make myself a loaf occasionally. I slice it and freeze it in small batches, to stop me eating too much.
It’s amazing how much the price of bread has increased in the last year or two, isn’t it.

Rosiebee Mon 13-Jul-20 13:21:30

Can I ask what a "stone bread pancheon" is???????

Bijou Mon 13-Jul-20 12:55:01

I have made bread for I don’t know how long . Used to win prizes at WI for it. When I found it difficult to stand I got a small bread maker. As I didn’t like the shape from the maker I now use it to make dough and cook two small loaves in my mini oven. Freeze one. I also make a fruit loaf because I don’t eat cake. Got some yeast from Amazon.

Thecatshatontgemat Mon 13-Jul-20 12:54:53

The best way to store warm Just-out-of-the-oven bread is to slather it in butter, open mouth, and insert into face!
If there is any left over after that, then let it go cold, slice with a sharp knife, and place it into a clean bread bag from the supermarket sliced loaf that you will have saved for that very purpose.
Then pop it in the freezer, and remove whatever amount you need at whatever time you need it.
Sorted!

railman Mon 13-Jul-20 12:43:02

Try the "Hairy Bikers" Focaccia bread recipe - absolutely fantastic - that's what the Romans did for us!! smile

annodomini Mon 13-Jul-20 12:26:48

I am on my own, so I make two loaves and put one in the freezer. The other one keeps well in the fridge, wrapped in clingfilm or foil.

LeeN137 Mon 13-Jul-20 12:13:05

I wrap mine in clingfilm, and put it in the fridge - it's perfectly fine for the (at most) 3 days I need it to last for. If you need it to last any longer, I'd advise the freezer, as others have said.

KnittyNannie Mon 13-Jul-20 12:08:17

I’ve made my own bread for years, and am currently baking bread every other day because we are all at home. Presently, I’m making sourdough, which is SO much nicer than bread made with bought yeast. I, too, slice And freeze it.