Gransnet forums

Food

cooking smoked haddock.

(34 Posts)
Fennel Tue 04-Aug-20 11:33:34

We both like smoked haddock, but I don't like the smell when it's cooked. It seems to stink out the whole house for days.
I usually cook it in the microwave covered with clingfilm for a few minutes.
Is there any other way to cook it with less smell?

JuliaM Mon 24-Aug-20 13:18:41

Haddock of any kind does tend to have its own body odour, no matter how you choose to cook it! We have noticed this a few times with the lingering smell left from Haddock bought from a Fish and Chip shop, where as Cod tends to be less of a problem. We both enjoy smoked fish too, but tend to buy Smoked Cod rather than Haddock for this very reason.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 24-Aug-20 12:26:47

Pour some vinegar into a shallow bowl or a saucer and stand it near the cooker.

Vinegar absorbs all sorts of smells.

MiniMoon Sun 23-Aug-20 22:27:08

I usually poach it in milk.

If I'm making a fish pie I use the milk to make to make the sauce.

We went to Craster on Tuesday and bought some kippers from the smokehouse.
I jugged them, and we had them for lunch with salad and new potatoes.
I made kipper patè with the left over kippers (DH still shops for 4), and we ate it for supper the next day.

NotTooOld Sun 23-Aug-20 21:41:37

Callistemon - grin

Esspee Sun 23-Aug-20 20:45:34

You are probably all aware but for any who aren’t be sure to wash fishy plates and serving dishes etc. in cold water and detergent as a hot wash sets the smell.

lizmaxwell Sun 23-Aug-20 20:30:45

Rather an extreme method! Buy and install an old fashioned solid fuel Rayburn. Great for cooking smelly things as the smell goes up the chimney. I really miss mine for that as my husband loves kippers and boy do they smell.
If you have a garden shed or a garage buy one of the small camping stoves that run on the little gas canisters and cook them out there or in nice weather do them outside. These little stoves are really cheap and about the size of a small briefcase.

Floradora9 Wed 05-Aug-20 20:57:54

I buy bags from Amazon to cook my fish in totally enclosed. Dunelm sells then as well .

Cabbie21 Tue 04-Aug-20 23:25:34

I cook it in the microwave in a Pyrex dish with a lid, not cling film. There is not too much smell In the kitchen. You can always dissipate the smell in the microwave by heating a cut lemon in it.

Sussexborn Tue 04-Aug-20 19:48:25

I can’t stand fishy smells so have been using the cook in bags for some time. I also light a cooks candle or a scented one and open the kitchen windows.

sodapop Tue 04-Aug-20 19:33:46

Thanks Pantglas you are a hero,smile

Stansgran Tue 04-Aug-20 17:55:43

I love it in a soufflé and I second chefs candles. You can get tea light size or a larger glass jar. Last time I bought one was in sainSbury's.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 04-Aug-20 17:34:48

I usual put it in some tinfoil + wine and in the oven for 10 mins.

Two days ago I bought some from Morrison who put it in a 'cook in the bag' bag. Microwave or oven. Brilliant.

Daddima Tue 04-Aug-20 17:31:59

Kedgeree for me now! Fish poached on stovetop, and I don’t notice much of a smell.

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 17:28:14

unused

That goes without saying ?
2nd hand haddock is not very pleasant.

Undyed smoked haddock

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 17:26:57

Fish pie is not complete without some unused smoked haddock in it.

I wish DH liked risotto, or even kedgereee.

Fennel Tue 04-Aug-20 17:25:06

Thanks for all the ideas. I think my problem came from cooking in microwave with clingfilm - when you open it the steam is very strongly flavoured.
Today I baked it in the oven with some plain cod, cut up in pieces plus orange juice, s&p, and chopped chives etc. Covered with foil.
Back door open - no problem.
I like the idea of risotto, I've done kedgeree before.
I wonder what it would be like fried in batter? wink

janeainsworth Tue 04-Aug-20 15:37:42

I made a rissotto with smoked haddock, leeks and spinach the other night, delicious.

I don't find the smell a problem at all, as others have said, put the packaging & skin in the bin, well wrapped up in unwanted supermarket plastic bags.

EllanVannin Tue 04-Aug-20 15:07:20

Fresh fish shouldn't smell when cooking, even smoked haddock. Close the kitchen door and open the kitchen window ?

Witzend Tue 04-Aug-20 14:25:10

I make a curried kedgeree with smoked haddock - very easy and delish. Smells of curry rather than the fish.

There’s a recipe I’ve been meaning to make for ages and have never got around to - I think it was a Gary Rhodes one - smoked haddock with Welsh Rarebit on top, sounds so yum.

timetogo2016 Tue 04-Aug-20 14:18:14

Agree with tanith and Miss Tree.
I do the very same.

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 14:16:18

I've never heard of them, kittylester

off to Google

Teetime Tue 04-Aug-20 14:16:11

I use the clear microwave fish bags from Lakeland or Amazon and there does not seem an escape of the smell- it can go on forever cant it. I do empty the bin straight away.

kittylester Tue 04-Aug-20 14:13:20

Have you tried using Chef's candles while cooking?

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 14:08:34

I love kedgeree too.

DH likes kippers, if he has the whole ones I make him cook them on the barbecue outside grin. Unfortunately, we can only get the bagged ones at the moment; he had one the other day and it seemed to smell the whole house out.

shysal Tue 04-Aug-20 13:22:28

I cook it en papillotte in foil too, with butter and lemon juice, at 180C for 10 minutes. There is no cooking smell until it is opened and the foil gets rinsed and put in the outside bin. Of course there is a smell while it is being eaten and the plate washed, so I open a window.
I prefer the undyed smoked fish, but my supermarket doesn't sell it.