Gransnet forums

Food

So it’s thank you but goodbye Ocado ?

(49 Posts)
MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:31:17

I have had Ocado online food shopping deliveries ever since they started and they have never let me down, even bailing me out at short notice when I had messed up my order for the “bridesmaids’ breakfast” of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and Bucks Fizz before my daughter’s wedding)
They offered me slots during lockdown and their timing on deliveries (often to within 30 mins) has been exemplary.
BUT they have now signed themselves up with M&S own brands instead of Waitrose and looking at what is on offer, it’s not for me. So I am cancelling my “Smart Pass” and actually feel quite sad about it. I could still possibly have done the occasional shop, but not paying £9.99 a month for it. sadsad

NotSpaghetti Fri 25-Sep-20 07:36:10

Scrapgranny, Waitrose here has also started delivering with a minimum order of £40 for free delivery.

MawB2 I've decided I will be doing both Ocado and Waitrose in the short term. Waitrose has products we love - we now only buy organic dairy products and nowhere else has the same options as Waitrose. But I do find Ocado the best and easiest website to use. It has a great "price per" sort facility which is really useful when trying to compare similar products when they are all different weights etc. and they have some decent own brand type goods too.
Also, I can't get my favourite cleaning products anywhere else! ?... and of course I love cleaning!

Mistyfluff8 Fri 25-Sep-20 07:18:02

Tried to book Ocado Mand S delivery in advance eg next month but only doing 3days and all fully booked so disappointed

Ashcombe Fri 25-Sep-20 07:12:58

At the beginning of lockdown, Asda was the only local supermarket with which I could book slots and I have found them reliable and cheap for home delivery or click & collect, which is free. I’ve already booked a delivery for 6th Oct when I’ll be home from France and will be in quarantine for two weeks.

craftyone Fri 25-Sep-20 06:57:55

I am saying goodbye to ocado. I bought a years smartpass in august, not having used ocado for a year as they never recognised my new postcode. Had 2 orders and was not impressed with the quality of fresh organic vegetables. I did book a slotfor early october and randomly filled it for now, tried to book a later one but no slots available. Smart pass cancelled and 11 months refunded. I have a few days left so am loading up my one remaining smartpass slot. I miss the waitrose link and won`t miss the short BB dates now being given

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Sep-20 05:29:40

Sorry - so many typos!

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Sep-20 05:28:51

Re Smart Pass.
I was on a thread on Mumsnet about this.
People were paying anything between £2.99 and £9.99 a month.
I pay £6.99.
I'm keeping it up do to uncertainty about the current circumstances.
I was extremely excited about M&S buy I was very disappointed with the dates. The Waitrose stuff always had very long BB dates.
Morrisons is my go to now, but I'm a bit of a tart and dabble with Tesco and Sainsbury's (especially with the 25 per cent off wine offer!)

Callistemon Thu 24-Sep-20 23:02:26

allium

Ocado were the only one that gave me delivery slots during lockdown. Waitrose and Sainsburys nothing doing.

Ocado were one that didn't offer me delivery slots. Neither did Sainsbury, Morrisons or Waitrose although Waitrose finally offered a slot or two 9 weeks into lockdown.
By that time I could have starved were it not for Tesco.

Charleygirl5 Thu 24-Sep-20 22:51:20

I ordered my first M&S delivery today. I only drink M&S coffee so at £5 a jar I ordered 6 because I would have had difficulty making the minimum £45 spend. Apparently, if I made the £75 the delivery cost would have been £3.99 but an extra £2.99 has been added.

The one and only delivery date was Saturday evening so I will be at home and not used any petrol so I am happy.

I should not complain but the choice was mind-blowing. It is not only ready meals they offered- I ordered sirloin steak.

At least I know I need never leave the house again to order jars of coffee.

I live in NW London so it appears to be that delivery charges are by postcode.

Scrapgranny Thu 24-Sep-20 22:37:23

Waitrose have changed to amount for delivery to £40

Teetime Tue 25-Aug-20 12:15:02

Up until lockdown I had a weekly delivery from Sainsbury but as soon as the crisis began I couldn't get a slot at all after years of loyal custom. I remembered I had forgotten to cancel Ocado delivery pass at 2.99 a month which I had used now and again for free deliveries Mon to Thursday which suits me fine so that's what we have been having. I am a bit concerned that the M & S offering will put my bill into the stratosphere as I really like their foods especially at Christmas s I am staying with them to see how the prices go. The M & S element is about 20% of the total offering from Ocado (so I read) so lots of choices but many brands I dont recognise and I'm a brand person. I'll see how it goes and enjoy a few M & S goodies.

Antonia Tue 25-Aug-20 12:03:30

I have been eagerly awaiting Ocado's teaming up with M&S, ever since they announced it. I love M&S products but since lockdown I haven't been to their shop. So for me it's a big thumbs up.

Violettham Tue 25-Aug-20 10:05:38

Oopsadaisy G Thankyou I wondered why they were changing.
Unfortunate for me as I have M&S very near but Waitrose much further away.

MawB2 Tue 25-Aug-20 09:53:57

Ellianne

I saw somewhere M & S is trying to "copy" some of the Waitrose popular meals and desserts so they can be offered through Ocado in September.

“Copy” or match ? I suspect the latter.
Anyway, thanks for the heads up, Riverwalk - 6 bottles ordered! grin

Greeneyedgirl Tue 25-Aug-20 09:35:18

I am so far disappointed with Ocado ordering site, and wonder if they will be able to manage the volume of new M&S customers. So far I have had 2 orders, both of which wouldn’t go through for a while, due to “technical issues” which involved losing a booked slot.

I am used to Tesco which has an excellent site and for some items where you do not want to receive a substitute, you can tick a box. We have received inferior subs from Ocado, and one item was completely missing. Plus we have paid the extortionate delivery charge of £6.99 each time. Hope things improve.

PetitFromage Mon 24-Aug-20 17:29:45

I like some Waitrose products, but I think that M & S will be as good - some products are not available but there will be comparables at M & S. I really like a lot of M & S food, especially the 'dine in' meals. I also like a lot of Ocado's own brand and they offer a range of different suppliers' products so there is far more choice than at Waitrose - although I will do the occasional Waitrose shop when and if I feel the need!

I have been with Ocado since the outset and have always found their service fantastic. When they do have an occasional blip in the system, they always keep the customer informed and make amends. They never quibble if there is anything wrong with the delivery and issue a full refund. And they were a lifeline at the beginning at lockdown, as we are shielding.

May I also put in a word for the Picard range - top notch French food, but frozen - only available through Ocado.

And apparently, according to the interview with Sharon Hill in The Sunday Times yesterday, Waitrose may be delivering through Amazon in the near future.

As a consumer, I say it is a win-win situation grin

Tweedle24 Mon 24-Aug-20 17:15:36

When we were informed about this, several months ago, we were told that the time was being used to ensure that the Waitrose items were being matched as nearly as possible by M&S items,

I have used Ocado for many years and have always found them reliable. The first two or three weeks of the lockdown made booking a delivery time-consuming, but it very quickly settled. Even during lockdown, I had no missing items, or at least was offered suitable alternatives.The thing I missed, and still do miss, is having the heavy items carried upstairs to my kitchen.

I plan to stick with them and see how it goes,

Ellianne Mon 24-Aug-20 17:02:49

I saw somewhere M & S is trying to "copy" some of the Waitrose popular meals and desserts so they can be offered through Ocado in September.

25Avalon Mon 24-Aug-20 16:40:19

M&S are extending the range of goods they stock when their Ocado deliveries start in September. They intend to be in real competition with Waitrose.

BlueBelle Mon 24-Aug-20 16:39:10

I have never been. able to use Ocado as they don’t deliver in my neck of the woods we don’t have a Waitrose or a Sainsburys in my town either
I had my weekly deliveries during main lockdown from Iceland Free delivery over £35 and they did me proud a few things not available early on but otherwise they always gave me next day slots and arrived on time
Mand S food is expensive compared to other Supermarkets

MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 16:36:01

??????

Riverwalk Mon 24-Aug-20 15:55:05

Maw get back in there - M&S Prestige Cava Brut is on offer at £4.66! smile

You need to have delivery date from 1 September to see all the M&S stuff.

Grandma70s Mon 24-Aug-20 15:38:25

Everyone in my family uses Ocado, and we’re quite excited by the prospect of getting M&S food too! We’d been wishing for years that they would deliver. A pity, though, that as far as I can see sandwiches aren’t included.

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Aug-20 15:29:56

I am so looking forward to M&S joining the 21st century at last. I only drink the coffee they sell in jars for a fiver so I will easily make up the £40 minimum with the odd "something different" for my supper.

I will continue to order online with Morrisons for basics. Roll on September.

MawB2 Mon 24-Aug-20 15:20:21

mary51

Slightly off topic but I'm intrigued by the scrambled eggs in the OP's Ocado/Waitrose order. How do they do that? Scrambled eggs are best made fresh and served at once in my view.

We did not get an affordable delivery slot from any supermarket until June.

Ha ha
Eggs, cream, butter of course.

SueDonim Mon 24-Aug-20 13:03:14

Maybe Ocado will expand their delivery area to where I live!

I couldn’t get any deliveries at all until the end of June, when Sainsbury's became available. I’ve now taken out a pass with them as I prefer not to go into a store if I can help it. That’s not so much for fear of catching anything but more because I find I feel harassed and under pressure to ‘grab & go’ and end up missing stuff.