Gransnet forums

Food

Season of mists and mellow soupfulness....

(63 Posts)
Witzend Thu 24-Sep-20 08:51:23

It felt sufficiently autumnal yesterday - grey and wet - for me to dig out some frozen ham stock and make a big batch of thick, main-meal soup, to use up some of a mass of veggies. Ate some, some in the freezer.

Today I was going to do similar with some chicken stock out of the freezer, but it’s sunny!
Will still do it, though, since the stock is now thawed.
Anyone else feeling autumnally soupful lately?

Witzend Sun 27-Sep-20 15:28:17

This was a first for me today. Our last veg box delivery had so much green stuff that although we like it, I’ve been having a job to use it all up.
Among other things there was a huge bag of salad leaves, the curly green and red kind. We had salad last night, but a lot still needed using up.
So I just made a Green Soup - sweated some onion and celery, added stock and the ends of spring greens, the remains of a head of broccoli, and a handful of green beans. Added some garlic, plus chilli and ginger pastes to liven it up.
Simmered a few mins, then tipped in all the salad leaves for another minute or two.
It turned out really well - and a practically zero carb lunch to boot! ?

MawB2 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:38:19

Any chance of the smoked bacon and tomato soup recipe please?
And has anyone ever made courgette and goats cheese soup?
I suppose I could google it, but personal recommendation is always more convincing.

Grandmabatty Sun 27-Sep-20 11:29:12

I made a massive pot of lentil and vegetable soup yesterday and stuck it in the fridge. A light tea tonight of a steaming bowl of soup and bread and butter. It's very cold here so that'll warm me up. My late mil always added sprouts to broth type soups. She cut them up into small shreds. They were lovely.

annsixty Sun 27-Sep-20 11:21:46

It was the rule in our house and in many others that blackberries were not to picked after October because “ by then the witches would have piddled on them”.
I suspect they had all been picked long before that.

Daddima Sun 27-Sep-20 10:31:54

Puzzler61

I’ll give it a go when the sprouts have got a bit of frost in them lemongrove.
My dad - veg grower extraordinaire - said that’s when sprouts have most flavour). ? ?

Same here from my dad, puzzler. He also made bramble jelly and bramble wine, but wouldn’t take us, then our children, out to pick them until they’d ‘ had the first frost’.

Witzend Sun 27-Sep-20 10:24:09

PS, if I had any sprouts I’d add them too - I often add a few, quartered, to my whatever-there-is soup. My mother called it ‘dustbin soup’ - her go-to when she was more broke than usual, but she was a good cook and it was invariably very tasty.
It’s still known as dustbin soup in this house, dh always enjoys a big bowl of ‘dustbin’.

Witzend Sun 27-Sep-20 10:18:09

I found another tub of ham stock lurking in the freezer, so cue another pot of whatever-veg/red lentils/pearl barley today. There’ll be plenty of shredded cabbage in it - our last veg box brought us masses, both Savoy and spring greens.

Puzzler61 Sat 26-Sep-20 22:25:24

I’ll give it a go when the sprouts have got a bit of frost in them lemongrove.
My dad - veg grower extraordinaire - said that’s when sprouts have most flavour). ? ?

lemongrove Sat 26-Sep-20 21:23:43

Puzzler61

I do like sprouts, so maybe.
lemon I bet it gives you wind ?

It won’t give me wind Puzzler but it may give you wind if you actually make it.?although I may just breeze into your kitchen one day and sit down hopefully, clutching a spoon.

Cherrytree59 Sat 26-Sep-20 20:19:12

Leek and potato and ham with lentil are both on the menu this week.

I often make chicken broth (my gran's method) during the winter. ?
Excellent Penicillin for the cold and flu season .

Jaxjacky Sat 26-Sep-20 20:18:21

Tidying cupboards today and found a packet of soup mix, mostly pearl barley and lentils. Cooking ham hock for dinner tomorrow, soup making Monday, happy days.

BlueBelle Sat 26-Sep-20 19:56:09

Just made a load of carrot soup

Puzzler61 Sat 26-Sep-20 19:54:21

I do like sprouts, so maybe.
lemon I bet it gives you wind ?

lemongrove Sat 26-Sep-20 17:48:32

I know Puzzler ?but two different friends have told me that it really is very yummy.

Blondiescot Sat 26-Sep-20 17:42:23

I love to make soup - currently got ham ribs cooking in my slow cooker to make stock for yellow split pea and ham soup!

Puzzler61 Sat 26-Sep-20 17:41:04

Have you overdone the strength of the poteen in the Argy bar lemongrove ? ?
In my humble opinion “sprout” and “soup” do not go in the same sentence ?

I do a lot of veg soups but not really to a recipe, I just look and see what I’ve got.

lemongrove Sat 26-Sep-20 17:07:04

Anyone ever made sprout soup? I haven’t but it’s supposed to be delicious.

Witzend Sat 26-Sep-20 16:58:14

I’ve honestly never heard of soaking red split lentils, Granmarie. Mind you I only use them in dishes where they’re simmered for at least 45 minutes. By then they will usually have disintegrated completely.

MiniMoon Sat 26-Sep-20 13:47:19

We are going out for dinner tonight with friends. I made soup as a light lunch.
Mushroom with garlic and parsley from the New Covent Garden Book of Soup.
Delicious.

here is the recipe

Grannmarie Sat 26-Sep-20 12:15:03

Hi, Witzend, I use red lentils, have always soaked/rinsed them, I think it helps them to cook more quickly?

Just my humble opinion?

EllanVannin Fri 25-Sep-20 11:23:22

This thread really warms the cockles just reading some of the recipes/ideas and is also a timely reminder of weather to come and the importance of nourishment. What isn't there to like ?

Witzend Fri 25-Sep-20 09:37:49

Thank you, phoenix!

MrsRochester Thu 24-Sep-20 20:19:45

Stansgran

I made beetroot soup for the first time ever . “

Beetroot, coconut and ginger soup is spectacular. Premiered it at Christmas dinner last year, absolute silence other than some mmmm’s and the occasional slurp for at least 5 minutes as everyone wolfed it (various ages).

Freezes beautifully too, in fact even better if defrosted and a dash of lemon added.

BBbevan Thu 24-Sep-20 20:14:05

Just made end of week soup.All the veg left in the vegetable drawer. The last courgettes from the garden, some spinach and boullion powder. Dark khaki this time. Tastes fine with a little cream stirred through.

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 19:56:59

Witzend just wanted to compliment you on a lovely thread title!