Gransnet forums

Food

Gluten Free

(25 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 11:30:49

Kitty has said on another thread that the gluten free stuff in Marks for Christmas is not so good this year.

I suggested trying Simply Delicious Cakes based in Shropshire as their gluten free cakes are divine.

Wondered if anyone else has any absolutely delicious suggestions. Not just cakes but anything, as some gluten free stuff is pretty dire.

To qualify it has to be pretty outstanding??

kittylester Thu 01-Oct-20 11:51:07

Loving this idea ww

I've just looked at their website and it looks lovely.

We have a brilliant shop near us that does gf cakes but they are celebration types and not everyday ones, so this looks good.

I use the Delia 'all in one' recipe for sponges and always get compliments. I use gf sr flour and use 50% more of everything.

merlotgran Thu 01-Oct-20 11:54:22

Tesco's gluten free sponge cake mix is very good. You just add eggs and softened butter.

lucyanne Thu 01-Oct-20 11:56:39

bellsoflazonby.co.uk do a fantastic chocolate & other cakes. They box them well and make a fantastic gift.
Heavenly Chocolate have an advent offer on at present good for vegan, dairy free and gluten free.
Cranstons Food Hall Penrith do amazing sausages & other gluten free goodies. They deliver all over the country.

merlotgran Thu 01-Oct-20 12:00:33

Nairn's GF biscuit breaks with stem ginger are lovely with cheese.

merlotgran Thu 01-Oct-20 12:01:59

This is a great thread with Christmas coming up, ww. We're probably going to be on our own so some special treats will be very welcome.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 12:11:08

kittylester

Loving this idea ww

I've just looked at their website and it looks lovely.

We have a brilliant shop near us that does gf cakes but they are celebration types and not everyday ones, so this looks good.

I use the Delia 'all in one' recipe for sponges and always get compliments. I use gf sr flour and use 50% more of everything.

Oh thank you for your recipe. My efforts are absolutely dismal so I will definitely give your recipe a go.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 12:15:16

merlotgran

This is a great thread with Christmas coming up, ww. We're probably going to be on our own so some special treats will be very welcome.

Yes that’s exactly my thoughts.

We have a hand made chocolate shop who supply to F&M and other posh shops, near us.

The only chocolates that are not gluten free are their truffles. We treated ourselves last year and they are divine but expensive?. Definitely a yearly treat.

Audreys Chocolates in Hove and on line?

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 12:20:53

I made a gluten free Jamaican black cake one year from a recipe I found online.

When baking with gf flour you need to add more liquid to the mix.

kittylester Thu 01-Oct-20 16:11:28

Not with the Delia recipe - it works fine as it is.

Esspee Thu 01-Oct-20 16:34:33

Has anyone else read that introducing babies to gluten at 4 months instead of 6 (counterintuitively) protects the child from gluten intolerance?

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 16:36:04

kittylester

Not with the Delia recipe - it works fine as it is.

I'll try baking it.

Then test it! I may have to keep testing.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 16:41:26

Callistemon

I made a gluten free Jamaican black cake one year from a recipe I found online.

When baking with gf flour you need to add more liquid to the mix.

I dont think that I persevere enough. I made a gluten free Christmas cake a few years ago and it was like bread pudding.
I haven't tried since.

They used to sell black cake in Sainsbury - actually made in Jamaica, and very nice it was to.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 16:44:58

It is frustrating though as it was a ritual every year. Christmas chutney, mincemeat, pudding and cake in that order, plus sausage roll and various quiches frozen. I used often to make a stolen as well.

Now I hate gf pastry so that is always a disappointment.

Oh! yes has anyone got a good source of gf mince pies and sausage rolls?

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 16:47:20

gf pastry is a crime against cuisine.

Callistemon Thu 01-Oct-20 16:49:33

I may just stir a gin, lime and tonic on Stir-up Sunday this year.
Especially if the DGC can't come and help me stir.

Bluebellwould Thu 01-Oct-20 16:52:57

Lucyanne, you are my absolute hero today!
Thank you for the recommendation for heavenly chocolates, I’ve just spent £40 on some advent calendars for my grandchildren. My eldest has had coeliac disease since 18 months old and is also allergic to dairy and is vegetarian to boot. Poor boy gets very upset when he can’t have what others are having so this will be a nice treat for a change for Christmas.
Thank you.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-20 21:16:15

I can tell you what I don’t recommend and that are gluten free crumpets. I had a couple for tea today. The were utterly tasteless and I’ve had indigestion ever since!

merlotgran Thu 01-Oct-20 21:22:29

I agree about crumpets. Far too stodgy.

merlotgran Thu 01-Oct-20 21:23:48

BFree stone baked pitta breads are lovely and moist.

Bakingmad0203 Thu 01-Oct-20 21:34:08

Great thread W2
I use Dove gluten free flour for cakes and they always turn out well.
Useful tip re Tesco sponge mix* Merlotgran * My son is gluten intolerant and loves cakes, so he can now make his own!

kittylester Fri 02-Oct-20 07:30:04

www.derbypyclets.co.uk/buy-online.html#/

These pykelets are ok.

kittylester Fri 02-Oct-20 08:10:56

Should have said that they also freeze!

merlotgran Fri 02-Oct-20 11:45:50

Thanks, kitty. I've started a folder of websites to visit.

Cfaz49 Fri 02-Oct-20 11:57:50

I have stopped buying gf cakes and make my own to a Victoria sponge recipe. I replace half the weight of butter with sunflower oil. This seems to keep it more moist for longer. All gf bread in the uk is appalling!