Gransnet forums

Food

Festive buys ?

(48 Posts)
DiscoGran Mon 05-Oct-20 17:02:01

Out shopping today, bought first things for our Christmas cupboard. Four bottles of prosecco. Starting with the essentials. Have you started yet? And what have you got in.

Callistemon Fri 16-Oct-20 16:41:16

I have birthdays to think of before then.

lemongrove Fri 16-Oct-20 14:17:55

I will make a Christmas cake next week, and the Ocado delivery slot is booked for just before Christmas.
I have ordered cards, wrap and bows online.
So far so good.

lemongrove Fri 16-Oct-20 14:15:23

Callistemon

DH said I should have saved him, he could have become a beautiful butterfly!
He went into the food waste where he can munch away to his heart's content.
Until he goes to the recycling facility.

What a way to go!?
The condemned caterpillar ate a hearty breakfast.

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Oct-20 13:18:25

A jar of Nutella wouldn’t last the week out here, Witzend. I had to stop buying it around 30 years ago. smile

Witzend Fri 16-Oct-20 12:16:58

Never mind Christmas goodies, the other week I bought a jar of Nutella for Gdcs’ favourite treat breakfast of Nutella pancakes.,

Well, although they visited, they didn’t stay over after all, so no pancakes for breakfast, and I’ve since been eating the Nutella with a spoon!

SpringyChicken Tue 13-Oct-20 17:55:02

I've bought two boxes of chocolate Brazil nuts but said to my husband to eat them any time as we'll probably be on our own this Christmas.

ninathenana Tue 13-Oct-20 16:43:35

I've not bought anything food related but I have finished my present buying

Justwidowed Tue 13-Oct-20 14:22:55

Bailey's for me today ,will have to conceal them as willpower is virtually non existent. Bought from Asda at a bargain price.

Smileless2012 Tue 13-Oct-20 14:10:47

I was eyeing up some rather large Christmas stockings full of treats for our dogs yesterday as well as some rather fabulous Christmas jumpers but decided to wait.

Not until it's nearer Christmas, but until I don't have Mr. S. with megrin.

Newnannatobe Tue 13-Oct-20 14:08:09

I’ve ordered my turkey from M &S along with a Yule log and the veggie centrepiece! I’ve ordered for six hoping that six will still be allowed! ?

Maggiemaybe Tue 13-Oct-20 14:01:19

I really dislike Haribos so I'm not tempted to eat them, not like Christmas chocolates.

Well I thought I disliked them till I’d demolished all the crisps and chocolate we’d bought in “for the grandsons”. blush Now they’re just another thing that isn’t safe round here. I’m particularly fond of those really sour ones that fizz on your tongue and make your mouth shrivel up like a cat’s bum.

tanith Tue 13-Oct-20 13:46:21

I won’t buy much as I’ll be eating with one of the family on the day, someone always buys me chocs so I’m not buying any extra. I’ll probably make mince pies and maybe a cake but I certainly won’t be filling a CC.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 13-Oct-20 10:30:16

Homemade nut free Christmas Pud laced with rum. Now a year old. Just need to make sure I buy some alcohol cream.

2 of us so planning as little preparation as possible. Ready prepared items will be on shopping list,

Teetime Tue 13-Oct-20 10:20:27

Juts booked my Ocado slot -£9 delivery as the delivery pass doesn't count that week . Having trouble checking out though.

Christmas cake made yesterday

Callistemon Tue 13-Oct-20 10:17:04

DH said I should have saved him, he could have become a beautiful butterfly!
He went into the food waste where he can munch away to his heart's content.
Until he goes to the recycling facility.

Ellianne Tue 13-Oct-20 10:11:09

Yuck! Looks very green, like a mini cucumber!

Callistemon Tue 13-Oct-20 10:06:57

Here he is:

Ellianne Tue 13-Oct-20 09:56:51

Did someone say squirrel? Now there's an idea. Looks yummy.

Ellianne Tue 13-Oct-20 09:52:29

Thanks Callistemon, now the grandchildren will believe me when I say Colin came in from from the garden!

Callistemon Tue 13-Oct-20 09:48:29

Lucca I think it's the squirrelling instinct.

"All is safely gathered in"

Callistemon Tue 13-Oct-20 09:46:24

Lucca

Serious question, what will you all do in the rest of October, all of November, and most of December ?

Practise for Christmas?

Hmmmm Do caterpillars actually exist in winter?
I ordered growing parsley with my grocery delivery from Tesco, put it in a nice ceramic pot in the kitchen window. I noticed black specks kept appearing round the pot and the parsley looked very sad.
When I investigated, out fell the Very Hungry Caterpillar, who'd been munching my parsley.

Teacheranne Tue 13-Oct-20 09:46:06

I am thinking of not buying any Christmas treats! I might be on my own or possibly with my daughter and I am refusing to cook on Christmas Day! As I don't like ready meals, I'm going to explore takeaway deliveries - don't mind what type!

Ellianne Tue 13-Oct-20 09:41:23

It's a bad year here in many ways. DH retired this year so we will miss the usual Christmas "loot" he used to bring home ..... bottles of wine, champagne, gin, whiskey etc. I need to be discerning in my purchases, he won't be pleased.
On the food front I have booked a Waitrose slot and will soon need to get down to the meal plans.
Our DD moved to a big new build house recently and we are invited there. You'd think with 4 bathrooms the developer could have thought to put in a big fridge freezer or left a gap for an American style affair, not just a silly integral fridge above freezer. Luckily I have extra space.
My favourite thing on the list so far is M & S Colin the Caterpillar Christmas cake.
Hmmmm Do caterpillars actually exist in winter?

MerylStreep Tue 13-Oct-20 09:27:46

Lucca
There's Easter next year to think about ?

Nannytopsy Tue 13-Oct-20 09:17:53

We bought our Baileys yesterday ?