Gransnet forums

Food

Jars impossible to open

(95 Posts)
Gingster Tue 06-Oct-20 14:01:58

I have two brand new jars. One of jam another of chutney. Yesterday I couldn’t open the chutney. DH tried, no luck. Eventually he used the nutcrackers and got the lid off. Today I Its the jam jar. DH is out. I’ve tried and tried to get the :#@* lid off, - tapping the edge, using the rubber grip. The nutcrackers don’t go round the lid. I e even pierced a hole in the top to no avail. I don’t have any problems with my hands. I’m quite strong with no arthritis or rheumatics. For heavens sake!,, !

Poppsbaggie Tue 10-Nov-20 12:40:23

The hot water method works every time for me.

arosebyanyothername Tue 10-Nov-20 11:46:31

Alishka that’s a good idea to turn the jar upside down before wedging a knife between the lid & jar to release the vacuum.
I’ll try that (carefully of course)
I’m chief jar opener in our house. DH has Dupuytrens.
I inherited a jar opener from mil which is handy. Don’t know why I kept it at the time but it’s come in handy in the last few years?

Scribbles Mon 09-Nov-20 20:57:14

phoenix grin

GrannyRose15 Mon 09-Nov-20 20:53:22

chelseababy

I put a marigold glove on, usually works.

This method always works for me too.

Grandmama Mon 09-Nov-20 18:37:51

With care I insert a screwdriver between the lid and the screw thread - just far enough to break the vacuum. Then it will open with no trouble. Safest to wear gloves in case the screwdriver slips.

Tangerine Mon 09-Nov-20 18:02:59

I boil the kettle and pour the hot water over the lid. You hear a popping sound and the jar easily opens.

HillyN Mon 09-Nov-20 18:00:44

My DH ordered this one from ebay when even he couldn't open the jars of pasta sauce recently:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Bottle-Jar-Can-Opener-Adjustable-Non-slip-Jar-Home-Kitchen-Aids-Tools-/283492745583
It works really well and wasn't expensive.

mokryna Mon 09-Nov-20 17:44:00

I have a jar opener, my problem are those tops for loo cleaners, bleach and medicines. Squeeze press and turn. I just don’t have the strength. When they are finally opened by visitors, I know it’s dangerous but I don’t screw them fully back down but put them up high in case the grandchildren visit. That being said it was my ten-year old GS that opened one.

Phoebes Mon 09-Nov-20 17:32:12

I have a jar key too and it’s a great gadget. You can also try giving the centre of the lid a good hard tap which sometimes releases the vacuum and makes it easier to open. A husband with a good grip can also be useful!

Bentor1 Mon 09-Nov-20 16:47:47

I use a sheet of sandpaper you can wrap it around the jar which gives it a good grip.

annifrance Mon 09-Nov-20 16:32:31

Stick the top of a knife under the edge of the run an wiggle until air gets in. It's a trick I recently learnt and it works every time.

123kitty Mon 09-Nov-20 16:05:21

Whack the middle of the lid with the end of a rolling pin.

Davida1968 Mon 09-Nov-20 16:00:50

Another vote here for the (blue plastic) "Jar Key" which we purchased from Lakeland. DH was doubtful (on purchase) but he's now a convert!

littleowl Mon 09-Nov-20 15:49:34

What I do is tap the lid sharply on the sides with the handle of a knife. It might leave a dent or two, but no matter, the lid eases off every time.
Something I found myself just from trial and error.

Bijou Mon 09-Nov-20 15:45:59

I bought my trusty opener in Spain many years ago. It is still available from Amazon because I bought my daughter in law one last year. Brabazon essential line universal opener. £7.50.
Many people don’t know that you have to first break the vacuum on jars. I have an ancient tin opener to do this.

FlotheCrow Mon 09-Nov-20 15:00:38

Run the !id under the hot tap. The metal expands and the lid comes off easily.

phoenix Mon 09-Nov-20 14:52:11

Scribbles nothing like a discreet little phhhhffft, is there?

Rumpunch Mon 09-Nov-20 14:47:16

Those toilet duck like cleaners are the real nuisance. Often when I go around to my Mums she asks me to undo any thing like that and then leaves it loose. If she can't wait she asks the postman!!

polnan Mon 09-Nov-20 14:40:11

I thought Lakeland had gone out of business with these recent lockdowns?

polnan Mon 09-Nov-20 14:38:49

I will have to come back and read all these tips.

it`s the bottle of toilet bleach that gets me, and yes, as someone said at the beginning, ask the checkout operators to open them!

Petalpop Mon 09-Nov-20 14:33:41

When I try and open jar too large for the nutcrackers I find that running it under the hot tap works every time. Judging by previous posts I am not alone.

SparklyGrandma Mon 09-Nov-20 14:23:06

Put the jar lid under your hot water tap and let it run for a bit. The heat expands the metal lid, and should loosen it.

Rosina Mon 09-Nov-20 14:22:49

I have a step into my utility room where my larder is; when I get a jar out I automatically give it a brisk tap on the edge of the quarry tiled step, and there is always a small sound as the vacuum goes. OH tells me quite irritably that one day I am going to get covered in jam or cut my hand on broken glass, but so far that hasn't happened, and this system has never failed to make a lid easy to get off.

Foxyferret Mon 09-Nov-20 13:52:30

I don’t just tap it, I give it a few good smacks all round with a wooden spoon and you hear the seal pop. Works every time for me.

JaneRn Mon 09-Nov-20 13:28:38

I have the little, very cheap, opener from Lakeland which just breaks the airlock. Works every time. I also have their gadget to open cans with ring pulls.

Now, can someone please tell me how to open a bottle of bleach. I know there are instructions, but my grip is no longer firm enough.