Gransnet forums

Food

Any advice welcome

(13 Posts)
BlueBelle Sun 11-Oct-20 09:18:08

I ve just made a big pan of green tomato chutney and although I followed the recipe to the letter it tastes way too vinegary any advice on anything I can add to lessen the sharpness (other than more sugar) or shall I just chuck it and find a different recipe
Thanks

DanniRae Sun 11-Oct-20 09:41:34

Can you remove some of the liquid and replace with water? Sorry if this is a daft idea but I have never made chutney - but used this method when food I have cooked is too salty or spicy.
Good Luck!

Illte Sun 11-Oct-20 09:59:45

Baking soda will neutralise ascetic acid. Just a little bit at a time and taste.

Ive never tried it in chutney though.
?‍♀️

Luckylegs Sun 11-Oct-20 10:57:31

A friend told me about making green tomato chutney and said you have to leave it for three months to let the vinegar taste mature. Is that the answer perhaps?

BlueBelle Sun 11-Oct-20 11:06:02

Well thanks for your ideas and that’s a prudent point lucky I would never in a hundred years thought of that it’s a lovely flavour but just very vinegary and I went back to the recipe thinking I d got the wrong amount as I m quite able to do something like that but no it was exactly as it said but as my Nan used to say ‘it would draw your axxx up to your elbows’
so I think I ll set it on one side for a month or two and see if it has improved it would be a shame to waste it I don’t get these cookery moments very often ???

BlueBelle Sun 11-Oct-20 11:10:14

illte I think I might try a bit of baking soda too good idea
Watch this space

M0nica Sun 11-Oct-20 11:27:53

Most chutney tastes vinegary when first made. It needs to be set aside to mature for at least three months, preferably 6. The vinegary taste dissipates.

rockgran Sun 11-Oct-20 11:51:44

I've just made some and it is already nice. I did boil it down in an open pan at the end to make it more jammy and sweet.

Kupari45 Sun 11-Oct-20 16:24:18

Made chutney yesterday. It always tastes (Vinegary) the first day.
Let it stand for at least two months , and then I think you will find the taste has mellowed.

Mapleleaf Tue 13-Oct-20 15:05:36

Yes, I agree with the posters who say to leave it for 2 or 3 months. I made some last year and again end of this September. I left last years batch for 3 months and it was lovely. Will be doing the same with this years batch.

Calendargirl Tue 13-Oct-20 15:21:58

As others have said, and to quote the blessed Delia-
All chutneys should be stored for at least three months before using. This causes them to mature and mellow in flavour (freshly made chutney is too harsh and vinegary). A cool dark place is usually recommended for storage.

Sunny82z Tue 20-Oct-20 20:16:49

I always use cider vinegar. Maybe you could boil it up again with some grated carrot.

BlueBelle Tue 20-Oct-20 20:28:41

It was cider vinegar sunny and I think you are all right it needs leaving to settle so that was my ignorance I ll know in future won’t I and thanks for your help