Gransnet forums

Food

Easy christmas cake

(87 Posts)
Sophiasnana Fri 16-Oct-20 21:46:53

At age 61, I love cooking,but have never, ever attempted a christmas cake. Every recipe seems to need about a hundred ingredients, inc peel which I hate! Anyone have a really tasty, easy recipe?

narrowboatnan Mon 19-Oct-20 18:02:13

There’s only me that eats Christmas Cake here and I certainly wouldn’t manage a whole one so I buy a slice of Christmas cake from a supermarket. Last year’s Aldi slice was good, and I’ve just treated myself to one from the local Co-Op, which is quite nice too.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 19-Oct-20 08:42:07

Whole peel is a completely different experience to that usual chopped up,stuff. You can usually get it from Waitrose or Sainsbury’s nearerChristmas. It comes in orange, lemon and lime and is good enough to eat as a treat. Also, Lydll do a mixed fruit in brandy which I have used the last few years as it contains a lovely selection of fruits. I use the equivalent weight of the fruit in Delia’s recipe but add almonds, more glacé cherries and the peel. Also, orange juice and lots more brandy.

1placidsue Mon 19-Oct-20 08:13:01

I use an old delia smith xmas cake recipe too, but I always swap peel, dried fruit, nuts etc for whatever amounts and varieties I fancy on the day! It has never let me down and keeps really well.

GrannyLaine Mon 19-Oct-20 00:27:48

Callistemon from the little I've heard of SW, you may well be right!

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 23:27:36

I made that up, sorry, it may not be true
?

GrannyLaine Sun 18-Oct-20 20:10:56

...... and obviously dried fruit contains no sugar??
That's bonkers. I'm more confused than ever ...........

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 19:57:41

GrannyLaine

I'm really intrigued to know what on earth a SW Christmas cake has in it elleks confused

Everything except sugar, but one slice = your main meal for the day!

GrannyLaine Sun 18-Oct-20 19:49:41

I'm really intrigued to know what on earth a SW Christmas cake has in it elleks confused

Dollydinkum Sun 18-Oct-20 19:30:22

elleks

Ooh yes, please post the SW recipe cake. Thank you smile

HAZBEEN Sun 18-Oct-20 18:34:23

I have always used the Bero book recipe but must admit to varying it slightly over time! I miss out the peel and add more fruit and of course brandy fed to it every few weeks although it doesnt say to do it. My Grandmother used to make the cakes for everyone in the family until I took over aged about 10! She taught me to bake when I was only able to reach the table by standing on a stool. My Mother couldnt bake to save her life, you could knock nails in with her pastry!!

hollysteers Sun 18-Oct-20 18:32:22

The boiled fruit cake mentioned earlier really is the easiest, just throw everything in a pan and simmer, it’s so moist and my mother handed down the recipe to me. I would have to rummage about in my top kitchen cupboard as I don’t bother now but will if asked.
M & S suits me now.

Caro57 Sun 18-Oct-20 17:56:52

DD doesn’t like peel so I substitute by upping something else.
Buy the marzipan - and the icing; make a ‘snow scene’ - doesn’t need smooth icing!!

Moonlight113 Sun 18-Oct-20 17:30:06

Nah. Anyone could see the difference. #specsavers?

Marydoll Sun 18-Oct-20 17:25:54

Still would cause confusion, I think.
Posters like me, skim and scan, so may miss the subtle change.

Moonlight113 Sun 18-Oct-20 17:23:59

Chewbecca, you could ask HQ if you could change your version of the name to ChewbEcca.

winterwhite Sun 18-Oct-20 17:11:09

Thanks very much Stardust and Buddie for the tips re sizing down quantities.
The many posts about no one else eating it remind me of an old cartoon picturing a half-eaten Christmas cake on a plate with the caption 'Aunt Maud's Christmas cake was so delicious there was usually not much left by April.'

LynneH Sun 18-Oct-20 16:18:10

800g mixed dried fruit, soaked overnight in 2 cups orange juice (or apple). Next day add 2 cups self-raising flour (can be gluten-free). Cook in a 7” square or 8” round tine on 140C for 1-2 hours. I make this all year round. At Christmas I generally replace 2tbsp of the juice with 2 of brandy or rum. Decorate, or don’t.

Bluecat Sun 18-Oct-20 15:30:41

I used to make a Christmas cake every year. The children, and then the grandchildren, used to stir the mixture and make a wish. They loved the old fashioned decorations. However, nobody was particularly keen on rich fruit cake. At Christmas, the other desserts would be eaten but the cake would linger. It would be eaten eventually.

Then, nearly three years ago, I got extremely ill on Christmas Day. My family was told that I would probably die. No one felt like eating the rest of the Christmas food, so most of it ended up being thrown away (although my SiL worked his way through the baked ham!) The Christmas cake was untouched and my DD told me later that her dad had said that, if I died, he was going to keep it forever in memory of me.

I think that he got this idea from me. When my mum died, she had baked some scones on the previous day and there was one left. I couldn't bear to throw it away, so I just put it in a kitchen cupboard. It's still there, after twenty seven years. It never went mouldy, just turned rock hard.

Well, as you may have guessed, I didn't die and I eventually came home. The Christmas cake was slowly eaten, until there was a chunk left sitting on the dresser, ignored by everyone. I got sick of looking at it and finally chucked it in the bin.

That's the last Christmas cake I am ever going to make. This Christmas, it will just be me and DH and we are going to have Nigella's Nutella cheesecake. Much nicer and much less fuss!

For those who do want to make a Christmas cake, I also recommend Nigella's recipe. I think it is in the Domestic Goddess book. Anything you don't like, such as peel, you can replace with other dried fruit.

Callistemon Sun 18-Oct-20 14:27:18

I've made that one, Alima

Vintagegirl Sun 18-Oct-20 14:25:09

Thank you for reminding me I used to make great fruit cakes, christmas, wedding etc but not done in years as no one save self to eat them now. I used to make huge one and give away chunks to older folk now all passed on. Gluten free for past 20 yrs but think will give it a go and don't care if have to eat all myself smile. I remember my wedding cake had a tin of strawberries in the recipe! I like nuts so add plenty and presoak fruit in orange juice/spirits.

dolphindaisy Sun 18-Oct-20 14:16:11

To all those, like me, who need a gluten free cake, I'd like to suggest a recipe by Betty Excell, she gives loads of GF recipes online and has just posted a Christmas Cake recipe. I'm sure she can be easily found on Google

Alima Sun 18-Oct-20 14:15:23

The Mary Berry Victorian Christmas cake is very nice. Made it several times and it has always been edible, always a surprise when my baking is involved. Nice light colour as opposed to the really dark Christmas cakes normally.

rowyn Sun 18-Oct-20 14:13:02

I have a Word doc which has recipes for 6",8" and 9" round cakes - or 5", 7" and 8" square. I'm happy to pass it on if anyone can tell me how to do so!

Jennyluck Sun 18-Oct-20 14:09:12

Sorry, should say buy .

Jennyluck Sun 18-Oct-20 14:08:45

I haven’t made a Xmas cake for years. As no one in my house likes it. But I love it, so always but myself a small one.
A few years ago my lovely friend at work, was always given a Xmas cake at Xmas from her sister , who made them, but didn’t like marzipan or icing, so used to cover her cakes in thick chocolate. It didn’t sound right to me, but she bought me a slice into work, and yes, you’ve guessed it. Absolutely delicious.
My lovely friend is no longer with us unfortunately.