Gransnet forums

Food

How about food photos to inspire us all... here's one mine .

(77 Posts)
bikergran Sun 18-Oct-20 08:31:34

Mozzarella starter, simple and cheap

Ninarosa Mon 19-Oct-20 22:27:04

Sunday morning serving of vitamin D.

lucyanne Tue 20-Oct-20 02:22:30

Birthday cake for G.D. Christmas cakes next.

CanadianGran Tue 20-Oct-20 03:41:19

These all look marvelous... except for the herring roe! I had to look it up. I thought roe was little eggs, like caviar. Once I googled it I see it is the whole egg sac. Hmmm, I guess I shouldn't knock it until I try it. grin

lizzypopbottle Tue 20-Oct-20 12:46:48

There are so many foods I won't try CanadianGran because I can't get past what they look like. I won't be trying soft roe! I do like toast though ?

kittylester Tue 20-Oct-20 13:45:03

My dad used to do them. You wash and dry them then toss in seasoned flour. Then fry in butter. Lovely!

fevertree Tue 20-Oct-20 20:39:46

Smoked Haddock and Lentils (also from the Fast800 recipe book). Okay, but missing the wow factor (OH comment).

instagran Tue 20-Oct-20 20:59:03

Sorry - roe - yuk!
But scrambled egg with smoked salmon! Now you're talking!

lizzypopbottle Tue 20-Oct-20 21:11:08

A bit off topic but, whenever we visited my maternal grandmother, the sideboard would be groaning with the sort of 'delicacies' that are often thrown away these days, wasted food some would say. There'd be pig's trotters, pig's cheek or half head, brawn, tripe, black pudding, salt fish, haslet, liver, kidneys, heart, brains, lights, sweetbreads and more, though not all at once! As a small child, I wouldn't eat any of it and still won't. Back then, the tough meat my mother's housekeeping money would stretch to was fatty and gristly. Everything except bones went into mince and sausages always had gristly bits in them. I hated it all. Amazingly, I've never considered going vegetarian.

(The word haslet is derived from the French word for entrails....although I don't think it's made from them these days.)

fevertree Tue 20-Oct-20 21:29:46

I'm another one who can't even look at the herring roe photo without gagging!

Same with innards. I've never even eaten kidneys. I tried to cook liver once on request from a boyfriend and it slid off the side of the sink and into the basin like a giant red slug. That was my first and last encounter with raw liver. (Apologies to all who really like it!)

lizzypopbottle Wed 21-Oct-20 12:08:58

I'm the same with shellfish too, fevertree, although I do eat fish and made myself eat scallops at a friend's house because I forced myself to be an adult about it! All those with more than four legs or cockles, mussels, winkles, oysters, squid and squid ink, octopus, cuttle fish etc. are definitely off the menu! I tried snails in a posh restaurant (the one under the Albert Hall) and they are seriously overrated. I ate one and passed the other two to the guy next to me. The steak they came with as a garnish was good though...

Elegran Wed 21-Oct-20 14:13:54

One of the seven chocolate and Grand Marnier parfaits I made on Sunday and froze. It should have been six but the little plastic pots (with lids!) I had saved from some similar desserts from Iceland proved to be smaller than the ramekins in the recipe. Just as well that Iceland's Dessert Pots were so moreish I have a good supply of the empty containers. Must see whether they have them in again for Christmas.

Elegran Wed 21-Oct-20 14:15:46

PS The originals from Iceland (well, the box they were in . . )

bikergran Wed 21-Oct-20 14:33:30

Love the little puds Elegran

Elegran Wed 21-Oct-20 14:38:42

I've just finished one. Yum! The theory was that they would stay in the freezer until C**TM**S but I have a feeling I'll have to make some more. Perhaps if I buy some Limoncello I could make some lemon ones?

GrandmasueUK Wed 21-Oct-20 15:19:06

My daughter's first attempt at cheese and onion pie. She had never made pastry before and spent ages weighing, measuring and mixing. It took her ages but we were all thrilled with it. It was delicious. Minimoon I've got a Ninja Foodi too. I love it!

Riverwalk Wed 21-Oct-20 17:40:09

Inspired by Jane this is my version of cajun chicken - I roasted the chicken on a can of black-eyed beans (keeping with the Southern vibe) and sliced fennel

janeainsworth Wed 21-Oct-20 17:45:49

Ooh that looks lovely Riverwalk! My mouth’s watering! smile

Aldom Wed 21-Oct-20 19:16:17

There's a thread in Chat from someone asking about Ninja Minis. The poster has not had replies. Could anyone with experience of one of these pots go on and advise her please.

cornishpatsy Wed 21-Oct-20 19:46:43

GrandmasueUK Could just eat a slice of that pie now.

Riverwalk Fri 23-Oct-20 13:36:06

Fish lunch, as it's Friday!

Sea bass fillet coated in gram flour, fried in olive oil, on a bed of stir-fried veg & carb-free noodles smile

For those who don't know, gram flour is made from ground chickpeas and is gluten free.

kittylester Fri 23-Oct-20 14:19:05

I love sea bass, riverwalk but nude.

Riverwalk Fri 23-Oct-20 15:03:26

Well it was almost nude Kitty, apart from a modest coating of chickpea flour! grin

Missfoodlove Fri 23-Oct-20 18:22:50

More bread?

janeainsworth Sat 24-Oct-20 20:21:09

Minimoon I just want to say thank you for the info about tangzhong.
I tried it the other day to make a wholemeal cob & it worked really well smile

janeainsworth Sat 24-Oct-20 20:48:08

Riverwalk your sea bass looks lovely.
We’ve just had some for dinner but I’m slightly (but not very) ashamed to say that I fried it in olive oil & butter & we had it with chips and peas ?