Gransnet forums

Food

smoked salmon virgin ?

(73 Posts)
Bluebellwould Sun 18-Oct-20 19:21:29

I have never eaten smoked salmon, but I succumbed to a packet of smoked salmon flakes, ready to eat. What can I eat them with please. Nothing high in fat please.

phoenix Mon 19-Oct-20 12:34:52

Bluebellwould have you tried it yet?

Witzend Mon 19-Oct-20 12:31:50

It’s horrible, you really won’t like it! Just send it to me, I’ll nobly hold my nose and dispose of it for you. ?

LadyStardust Mon 19-Oct-20 11:38:38

Hetty59 Grandma70s I agree with you both. I'm kinda heaving a little, just reading all these posts! Bleugh!

Seefah Mon 19-Oct-20 11:29:11

A Smoked salmon sandwich with soft fresh sliced brown bread and cream cheese with black pepper, is heaven! Or with soft scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast.

homefarm Mon 19-Oct-20 11:18:00

I agree with HETTY 58
Raw fish Not my taste at all and like her was very sick indeed

nipsmum Mon 19-Oct-20 10:41:01

Have a look on the Internet, there are lots of recipes to use smoked salmon. I love it.

shysal Mon 19-Oct-20 10:38:38

It makes a nice pate when whizzed up with mascapone cheese and a dash of lime juice (even better with smoked mackerel).

Awesomegranny Mon 19-Oct-20 10:14:12

Black pepper, squeeze of lemon on a bed of salad taste will be lovely and low calorie, maybe glass of Prosecco to wash it down

shysal Mon 19-Oct-20 10:09:11

I have recently started to eat it often on a low carb diet. As suggested above, scrambled egg is lovely with it and I like it with cottage cheese or added to a (crustless for me) quiche.
Mostly, when I fancy 'picking' I eat it straight from the pack.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 19-Oct-20 10:01:27

In Denmark we eat it with sourdough bread and a dressing of mustard, dill and vinegar. Definitely not anything hot.

It is an apertif rather than a main course.

Missfoodlove Mon 19-Oct-20 08:45:31

For a low fat treat toast some sourdough or whole meal bread, smash half an avocado spread onto the toast now add the salmon and top with a free range poached egg.

Yearsold Mon 19-Oct-20 08:08:28

I love it on plain wholemeal toast with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkling of black pepper ?

Charleygirl5 Mon 19-Oct-20 08:01:36

I am like MiniMoon a sandwich is divine. Today my lunch will be smoked salmon with a light salad. I went out shopping yesterday and smoked salmon was on offer so I bought two packs.

Believe it or not I have never had it with scrambled egg.

Riverwalk Mon 19-Oct-20 06:58:40

Right that's breakfast sorted - smoked salmon & scrambled eggs.

MiniMoon Mon 19-Oct-20 00:24:14

I love a smoked salmon sandwich. Any sort of good fresh bread, butter liberally, (real butter of course), a grind or two of black pepper, and that's it.

I'm in bed now, but I want one!

MayBee70 Mon 19-Oct-20 00:19:49

Oh this is cruel. I don’t have a delivery booked and am not going to any shops and I really want some smoked salmon now. I must stop thinking about it. I’ve got a tin of sardines....maybe they’ll do for now (sob).

M0nica Sun 18-Oct-20 22:47:39

Just smoked salmon and brown bread and butter, but preferably proper brown bread from a real baker, not the stuff you get in a supermarket

crazyH Sun 18-Oct-20 22:45:42

Love, love, love smoked salmon....

TwiceAsNice Sun 18-Oct-20 22:44:18

And very good for you lots of Omega 3

TwiceAsNice Sun 18-Oct-20 22:43:48

Adore smoked salmon it’s one of my favourite things to eat. With scrambled eggs, prawns and Marie Rose sauce, bagels and cream cheese , it’s versatile and delicious

Hetty58 Sun 18-Oct-20 22:36:08

In my childhood days (before I was veggie, then vegan) I was given smoked salmon by an aunt.

I really didn't like it, although I liked plain salmon then. It's raw, not cooked and high in fat and salt.

I ate it up, to be polite, then threw up violently!

Grandmafrench Sun 18-Oct-20 22:27:10

We love it torn onto a few shredded salad leaves and rocket, mixed with a few prawns and with a dressing of crème fraîche mixed with creamed horseradish (or just oil and lemon), with a good grind of black pepper. A small baked Camembert to share, and some brown bread makes a complete meal.

But we only like wild salmon - slightly darker in colour and with no trace of fat or flabbiness.

geekesse Sun 18-Oct-20 22:09:29

Shredded gem lettuce, thinly sliced red onion, capers, lemon juice and blobs of sour cream. Grind black pepper liberally over the whole lot. Serve with champagne.

(This is my Christmas Day breakfast)

kittylester Sun 18-Oct-20 21:07:48

We have it in the summer as part of a 'platter' - so called by one of the children. We have some slices rolled up, a boiled egg halved and covered in mayo (or in DH's case - salad cream!!) any cooked meat in the fridge, smoked mackerel, coleslaw and any other salad - eaten in the garden with a drink of your favourite whatever.

Kalu Sun 18-Oct-20 21:00:31

Oh I loved the linguist in you nonchalantly ordering in Italian. Been there done it*EV*☺️